Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third level: Is it a privellege or a right?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

A lot of my friends are very left wing and see a third level education as a God-Given right, even if the course that they are choosing will have no economic benefit whatsoever. Some of them are doing arts degrees, that will not get a job afterwards, namely, religion and literature (or some equally non beneficial course). OK, you can get good teaching job from it.

A rudimentary standard of education, up to Leaving Cert level is a right, but after that it isn't. Why is there such a sense of entitlement? Why should people who leave school / college and work their fingers to the bone to build up a nice empire / business fund someone to go to college and live off the grand / get pissed off it.

Leaving cert and school will give you a head start in life and make sure you are not exploited and get decent work, but I don't think that college should be a right. You can afford it, or you can't end of.

post secondary education, a privellege or right? 162 votes

Privellege
    0%
    Jeremy Sproket 1 vote
    Right
    99%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarTom DunneRiamfadafolanSleepyCalhounneilmRaphaelrainbow kirby[Deleted User]jam_mac_jamawPlayboyViper_JBflikflakR0otZombienoshDonkeyStyle \o/whatawasterspideog7 161 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So simple,:rolleyes: So if we can't fill college places with intelligent rich kids, the thicker rich kids can fill the remaining places because they can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You don't consider studying arts/humanities to be of benefit? Education, in any form, is always a good thing and is always beneficial.

Access to colleges/universities should be available to everybody and anybody, to study whatever they want to study. Obviously it's not possible to do that for free, but I think the current system is a very good one that makes further education for almost anybody who wants to pursue it (of course other factors can affect people, I'm just talking generally).

Why should a person be denied an education purely because their family can't afford it? The days of rich kids swanning off to college while poor kids are chucked into the workforce are thankfully behind us. The vast majority of people are going to spend the rest of their lives paying back in taxes many times the cost of their education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

See how many jobs you're qualified for these days without a third level degree and come back with your answer.

Right
    I think that in Ireland at this point in time, everyone should get one shot at college, even if it's a course they're doing purely for personal development.

That said, I do see it as a privilege, not a right. It's just that it's a privilege that's beneficial to society which I think we can afford if you weigh up the pros and cons.

I certainly think it's a good idea that if you want to go back a second or third time you have to pay full fees though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I wouldn't call it a right, but it shouldn't be limited to those who can afford it. Just because you have money doesn't mean you are smart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's a right earned in school, not bought with money, not born with it and it's definitely not for anyone to walk in and claim with feck all second level achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Right
    A lot of my friends are very left wing and see a third level education as a God-Given right, even if the course that they are choosing will have no economic benefit whatsoever. Some of them are doing arts degrees, that will not get a job afterwards, namely, religion and literature (or some equally non beneficial course). OK, you can get good teaching job from it.

You're looking at the issue from a purely economic perspective. I don't think that's right, because if we were to follow your logic, hundreds of courses would be discontinued. Every academic discipline, whether it's philosophy, literature, or theology benefits society in its own way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Jack Lumber

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It's a right earned in school, not bought with money, not born with it and it's definitely not for anyone to walk in and claim with feck all second level achievements.
    What are you on about?

Plenty of people that did poorly in secondary school have gone on and got themselves degrees. What a utterly stupid thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

It's a privilege, and IMO should be considered a privilege, a third level education should be the reward for having put in the work to get there if you're passionate and determined enough and interested enough in the subjects you want to pursue.

Having it as a "right" means all too often that too many people just see it as a rite of passage, and therefore pursue courses they have little or no interest in, which ultimately leads to failure from having been allowed to take their right for granted.

Right
    What are you on about?

Plenty of people that did poorly in secondary school have gone on and got themselves degrees. What a utterly stupid thing to say.

Well under the de facto system there is certain meritocracy over admissions to third-level. The most typical is CAO points - you need so many points to go to a certain course and fulfill some subject requirements. If you're going through the mature student route, you still have to show some aptitude before being allowed in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Nobody should be prevented from accessing third level education because they can't afford it.
    But people who access that education should contribute towards it, either through fees or additional taxation for a period after qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It should be available and open to everyone who proves they have the ability to benefit from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

The problem is these days people go to college just to get a degree in "something"

They couldn't give a flying **** what its in just as long as they get their level 8.

When people with sales experience but no 4 year degree cant apply for graduate sales positions and Zoology grads with no sale experience can you know you have a broken system.

My solution: get rid of Degrees, Masters and levels of classification. People will then study something they're interested in and relevant to their future career.

The subject is important not the level.

What are you on about?

Define "poorly"

Obviously if they did well enough for the certain degree, that's fair enough. But I don't think one can do nothing in secondary school and still be allowed to claim third level as a "right" which can't happen at the moment and that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

in 2004 it was €750 to go to college for a year, in September it will be €2,500. I work my ass off to put myself through college but how many people can afford to pay €2,500+, without even taking in living expenses. Not everyone gets a grant and for those of us who don't its hard to afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A rudimentary standard of education, up to Leaving Cert level is a right, but after that it isn't.

Why not, exactly? What's the difference? Never understood this argument to be honest, either education is a right or it isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Right
    Why not, exactly? What's the difference? Never understood this argument to be honest, either education is a right or it isn't.

are masters and phd's a right too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

It's not exactly a right. You have to have a certain level of academic achievement to get in and you have to maintain it to continue. That's true for mature students too. You have to maintain a high level of academic achievement to continue and progress. Art and literature are very valid degrees and I for one love new artists work and new novels. I like the people with literature degrees who proffered read and ghost write too. Plus many people actually go into it to teach. Just because you are ignorant of certain subjects doesn't mean they are worthless. No my degrees are not in either of those areas before you ask . Just because you deem a leaving cert to be good enough for poor or low income families doesn't mean it's a fact. Imagine a world where all our people in areas of power all come from the same wealthy backgrounds with no other perspective in life but that. No diversity or knowing what it's like to be hungry or cold or what it's like to loose your home. This same world would be pretty short on artists or novels or understanding of the works of the masters like Rubens. Maybe we should deny healthcare too unless you can afford it. Why not keep everything in the hands of the rich for now and future generations .

in 2004 it was €750 to go to college for a year, in September it will be €2,500. I work my ass off to put myself through college but how many people can afford to pay €2,500+, without even taking in living expenses. Not everyone gets a grant and for those of us who don't its hard to afford.

I know non EU citizens who had been living here for 6 or 7 years with one working parent bringing in under 35 grand a year and managed to pay €7000+ a year for bachelor's degrees. Considering the government is still paying the massive tuition fees for EU students every year, the other €2,500 is the least people could do.

Right
    Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    My solution: get rid of Degrees, Masters and levels of classification. People will then study something they're interested in and relevant to their future career.

That's lunacy. Have you ever attended college yourself? What about the whole academic hierarchy of Bachelor degrees, MDs, phDs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

If you're going through the mature student route, you still have to show some aptitude before being allowed in.

And so you should, but they were replying to somebody saying that third level ''definitely'' isn't for people if they don't have second level achievements, which is nonsense.

Sometimes I get disillusioned with life on Boards, seems like it's full of cranks and crazies.
    Then, I read something like your post.
    A considered, reasoned and unarguably presented proposal, that turns the last few millennia's thinking on education, on it's head!
    Sir, I salute you.

That's lunacy. Have you ever attended college yourself? What about the whole academic hierarchy of Bachelor degrees, MDs, phDs?

I have. Get rid of all of them. Tomorrow.

Right
    I have. Get rid of all of them. Tomorrow.

What about the people who stay in college to do research and expand the academic frontiers? How do they distinguish among themselves? Not everyone goes to college to get a degree that will get them a job.

And so you should, but they were replying to somebody saying that third level ''definitely'' isn't for people if they don't have second level achievements, which is nonsense.

Ah I wasn't really talking about mature students, I mean students who don't want to work in school and think they're getting into college next year cos it's a right.

Sorry I should have specified

Sometimes I get disillusioned with life on Boards, seems like it's full of cranks and crazies.
    Then, I read something like your post.
    A considered, reasoned and unarguably presented proposal, that turns the last few millennia's thinking on education, on it's head!
    Sir, I salute you.

But like I said the subject will be the same, same topics, same knowledge same everything. You just won't have people using it as a status.

They'll just have to admit they're a lowly Dentist or Architect or Engineer.

I'd agree in the most with your sentiments. But i don't have a problem with some degree courses requiring a certain minimum standard in the LC to be attained first.
    No point studying something which requires complex mathematics if you can't pass lower level LC maths.

What about the people who stay in college to do research and expand the academic frontiers? How do they distinguish among themselves? Not everyone goes to college to get a degree that will get them a job.

They can have that experience logged effectively. I mean no Masters or PhD is the same. Reaching that amount of knowledge should be fine by itself.

Its just the opening up of opportunities for people having a "Degree in something" I have a problem with.

I the US to apply for a major Airline(Delta etc) you a need a 4 year degree. Dosent matter in what. So you have a situation where someone with a Zoology degree and a couple of years as a pilot can apply whereas a pilot with no degree and 10+ years can't.

I'm in an angry mood today I apologise.

But like I said the subject will be the same, same topics, same knowledge same everything. You just won't have people using it as a status.

They'll just have to admit they're a lowly Dentist or Architect or Engineer.

I assure you, in a dental practice, or engineering or architectural consultancy , people don't go around defining themselves by the type of degree they got in college.

• Advertisement

I assure you, in a dental practice, or engineering or architectural consultancy , people don't go around defining themselves by the type of degree they got in college.

Victory!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement