Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's Your Favourite Player

Options
  • 22-04-2013 8:50pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this 10-year old poll, I taught it was high time to have a new one.

Everybody who likes snooker has a favourite, past or present, but there's usually always someone that you just can't take to. Please share. :)

Who's your favourite player? 67 votes

Judd Trump
    0% 0 votes
    John Higgins
    4% 3 votes
    Mark Selby
    4% 3 votes
    Ronnie O'Sullivan
    11% 8 votes
    Shaun Murphy
    34% 23 votes
    Stephen Maguire
    1% 1 vote
    Neil Robertson
    0% 0 votes
    Ali Carter
    4% 3 votes
    Mark Allen
    0% 0 votes
    Ding Junhui
    1% 1 vote
    Mark Williams
    5% 4 votes
    Matthew Stevens
    1% 1 vote
    Peter Ebdon
    0% 0 votes
    Graeme Dott
    0% 0 votes
    Joe Perry
    1% 1 vote
    Ken Doherty
    0% 0 votes
    Mark King
    8% 6 votes
    Fergal O'Brien
    1% 1 vote
    Steve Davis
    0% 0 votes
    Jimmy White
    1% 1 vote
    Alex Higgins
    11% 8 votes
    Another young player
    1% 1 vote
    Another Irish player
    0% 0 votes
    Another player from the past
    0% 0 votes
    I don't like snooker, stop asking me questions
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mark Allen (whom I picked) or Ricky Walden for me. I love Mark's style of play and the fact that he's very outspoken. Ricky Walden always looks like a man who could win everything, I'm sure he'll have his eyes on the prize in the next few weeks.

I also enjoy watching Judd Trump's attacking style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Difficult to answer without knowing exactly what "favourite" means.

I love watching Ronnie play but it is fair to say he can come across as a tw*t at times so he is my favourite to watch but not very likeable as a person (from the little i know about him).

There seem to be a good few "nice guys" but the one that combines the playing and the personality best (at the moment) for me is Neil Robertson. He also combines those attributes with the ability to win competitions so he has that edge also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I liked Hendry, until he retired. Ronnie has to be my No.1 now. Second would be John Higgins. Starting to like Judd Trump, but he badly needs a haircut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There are quite a few favourites of mine though.

Steve Davis - all round sound man, very funny & entertaining & a true legend in his day.
    Stephen Hendry - probably the greatest player ever?
    Jimmy White - The nearly man, the peoples champion...just Jimmy's luck to peak when Hendry was at his best.
    Ronnie - a true enigma of the game, love him or hate him...you'll still watch him. His five minute maximum is mind blowing, & will prob never be replicated on tv.
    Alex Higgins - an immensely gifted player in his day, very entertaining to watch.
    John Higgins - another player who was nigh unbeatable in his day at his best.

To pick a single favourite though? I'd have to go with Jimmy White...what an entertainer/underdog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

It has to be Ken, especially now that he's a bit older. When he wins, you can really see how much it means to him. He's a nice guy off the table as well. Bit of a personality on it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Noone will ever match the games greatest, Hendry, in terms of affection from me. I still like Ken for patriotic reasons. The mantle open now for someone else, Ding perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Gotta be the whirlwind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love Ronnie, but he's so moany. Can't deny his natural talent and he's the biggest name in snooker.

Used to like Higgins until the whole match-fixing thing. Selby is really likeable too.

From the past, Paul Hunter.

Hate on anyone who selects Shaun Murphy or Peter Ebdon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Best player ever on their day? Has to be Ronnie. Hendry close second. It's not all about the amount of ranking titles. Ronnie's natural talent is above Hendry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

IvySlayer wrote: »
    From the past, Paul Hunter.

Hunter was a hell of a player. Mantally he was very strong, as well as beinga solid all around potter and safety player. I always thought that had Ken not beat him in the '03 final, that he would have had the perfect game to beat Williams in the final.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    It's not all about the amount of ranking titles. Ronnie's natural talent is above Hendry's.

But Hendry's consistency in his day was way above Ronnies. With Ronnie your either guaranteed a masterclass, or a half ass. With Hendry in the 90's, it was a masterclass every single time

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RamirezAuron

Ronnie O'Sullivan is my favourite player, because he's an outstanding player and overcame his personal obstacles. And for a snooker player - he is nearly extremly;) charismatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ronnie is the most gifted player that has ever picked up a cue but you just wish he'd play the game and stop fcuking whinging all the time. It's getting boring now. (his attitude, not the snooker).

It's getting to the stage where he needs to either embrace the game and the privileged position he's in or just p1ss off and go away for good if that's what he wants.

My vote goes to Shaun Murphy. Sound guy and a top notch player with a great all-round game.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    My vote goes to Shaun Murphy. Sound guy and a top notch player with a great all-round game.

Not a fan of his at all, the complaining about other players toilet breaks etc was ridiculous. The Steven Maguire chalk incident too was a bit ott from Murphy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I remember asking referee John Williams a few years ago the same question. Now here is a man who has seen and reffed them all, sometimes when you see a player up playing up close they are better than on tv as you can see how well they hit the ball etc. Anyway i asked who was the best he had ever seen, was it Davis, Hendry, O'Sullivan etc, to my surprise he didnt consider them at all, the best player he ever saw in his opinion was the late John Pullman.

Quite a surprise but a respected answer from a man involved in the game for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not a fan of his at all, the complaining about other players toilet breaks etc was ridiculous. The Steven Maguire chalk incident too was a bit ott from Murphy

Yea id have to agree. Ridiculous carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Where is Elliot Slessor ?

Advertisement