Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's your favourite player ?

Options
  • 09-10-2003 1:30pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Everyone who's interested in snooker has their favourite player.

Personally my favourite is John Higgins, but I also like the Irish lads. :D
    I can't stand Mark Williams. :mad:

Who's your favourite ?

Also who do you hate ?

Who's your favourite snooker player ? 237 votes

Stephen Hendry
    0% 0 votes
    Jimmy White
    6% 15 votes
    John Higgins
    15% 36 votes
    Mark Williams
    3% 9 votes
    Steve Davis
    3% 8 votes
    Ken Doherty
    5% 13 votes
    Ronnie O'Sullivan
    20% 49 votes
    Peter Ebdon
    39% 93 votes
    Stephen Lee
    2% 7 votes
    Paul Hunter
    0% 0 votes
    Other (Please state who)
    2% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Sorry got to vote for Fergal O'Brien.... but he is my cousin...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by James Melody
    Sorry got to vote for Fergal O'Brien.... but he is my cousin...

Really, I've always liked Fergal alright. It's a pity he is going further & further down the rankings. Is there any particular reason why ?

I'll never forget a few of his matches, especially in The Masters. The 2001 final between him & Paul was brilliant & he also beat Mark Williams in it that year. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

It's got to be Ken Doherty. He's definately one of the best players around, and probably the most down to earth guy ever. His only problem is consistancy really. The World Embassy final last year was soooo hard to watch. Anybody watchin Ken and Jimmy last night? Those were some flukes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Drago, White and O'Sullivan are my favourites in no particular order - whichever is playing well at the time. Obviously I like to see the Irish lads doing well also but the flair players edge it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i love to watch the whirlwind play he's totally class

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Also Joe Swail was very impressive there for a few seasons. Michael Judge can be a formidable player at time but rarely gets past the last 32 which is unfortunate since I think he's got a great style of play, similar to O'Sullivans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Stuart Petmann is the man for me.

He's a deadly player but he can NEVER ever finish of his opponent he played well during the LGP cup but for whatever reason just couldnt clinch the bloody win even though he had a lovely big lead

plus his hair is funny looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

My favourite used to be Ronnie O'Sullivan and he's still way up there coz he's just amazing to watch but at the moment it's Matthew Stevens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Ken Doherty for just being the man at this years Crucible. Shoutoutz to Marco Fu.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I'd have to say Mark Williams! What a sound guy... funny, doesn't take it too seriously, amazing talent. I love to watch him play. Why do you dislike him so much Celtic FC? Cause of that big final against Ken? (UK championships last year i think?)

Ken and John Higgins too for talent and personality..
    I HATE Paul Hunter... Should be in a feckin boy band or something. He sounds like such an ass in interviews

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    Why do you dislike him so much Celtic FC? Cause of that big final against Ken? (UK championships last year i think?)

Nah, it's not coz of anything in particular, ie. matches or anything. He's a great player, great talent & all that, but I could just never get to like him at all. (Jo, the girlfriend ain't bad though ;) )

I just find that in snooker there's always someone ye really like & someone you always hate (like Steve Davis used to be for a lot of people back when he was winning everything). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭purplemonkey

My favourite players would have to be Ken Doherty and Paul Hunter. I like Ken Doherty because he is best of the Irish and I like Paul Hunter because I always like to see young players beat the current flock of experienced stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    I HATE Paul Hunter... Should be in a feckin boy band or something. He sounds like such an ass in interviews
    I haven't seen him in interviews and he is a bit of a pretty boy but any player who's playing badly in the first session of a final, then at the interval gives his bird a seeing to in the dressing room, then comes out and end up winning, well, that player is a legend!

Apart from that Stephen Lee or the Whirlwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BonmahonHammers

Andy Hicks!! What ever happened to him, remember him gettin hammered by Nigel Bond in the Embassy a few years back, he used to have great matches wit Peter Ebdon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Creon

I have to say Stephen Hendry is my favourite player, mostly because of early memories of him when i first got interested in snooker. Liked him ever since.

I hate Paul Hunter (the self proclaimed David Beckham of snooker), he even wears the golden backed jacket (Golden Boy of snooker as he is sometimes introduced before matchs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Gah it's too hard to choose... been following Hendry this year and was delighted to see him faced with Ronny, but I thought it'd be a better match :/
    Voted for Ken D because I was watching him last year, pulling back from so many tough leads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

Mine would be barry pinches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Irish04

Was torn between White and Ken but in the end, Ken being Irish tipped the balance in his favour

Roll on the Next Embassy World Championship! Jimmy Vs Ken (i wish):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I like Peter Ebdon but, like every Irish snooker fanatic(I hope) I like Ken aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Fergal O'Brien seems like an awfully nice guy. Doesn't look like he's ever going to win anything though...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by blobert
    Fergal O'Brien seems like an awfully nice guy. Doesn't look like he's ever going to win anything though...

He won the british Open a few years back. (2001 IIRC) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Dr Pepper wrote:
    I'd have to say Mark Williams! What a sound guy... funny, doesn't take it too seriously, amazing talent. I love to watch him play.
    I voted for mark for the above reasons also.
    Hunter is my least favourite out there today,whats with the hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭whatalanger

It has to be Ronnie O'Sullivan. He could probably beat half of the top 16 players playing left-handed. Watched him in the Grand Prix in Preston last weekend and he looked unbeatable.

ronnie is just amazing a great talent!!!as for jimmy white before i always thought that he was a great character, until i saw him play ken doherty in a friendly match in clonmel and he had a really bad attitude problem and just a tad bit drunk it was just as if he didnt want to be there!!! ken on the other hand was laughing away and joking with everyone and was a good laugh so my vote goes to ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

woosaysdan wrote:
    ronnie is just amazing a great talent!!!as for jimmy white before i always thought that he was a great character, until i saw him play ken doherty in a friendly match in clonmel and he had a really bad attitude problem
    I agree. I was on the same plane as him coming back from London and he was a grumpy bástard.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I agree. I was on the same plane as him coming back from London and he was a grumpy bástard.
    what was it 6 times runner up!!! i suspose that would make anyone a bitter person :) i know i would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Ronnie O'Sullivan, streets ahead of everyone else, entertaining to watch.

at the moment it would have to be ronnie but in his day steve davis was excellent to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lunatic

I really like all snookerplayers (with the expectation of Hann), but my favorite will always been Ronnie O'Sullivan. I've been following him ever since 1992 so I guess he's there to stay for me ;)

But I'm thrilled to see Stephen Hendry in good form again as well and Graeme Dott will always have a special spot as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 header

4me rocket ronnie is da best ever hendry is a idiot .ihate him as ..:.he is boring:

Advertisement