Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Futurama [Fox, Comedy Central, Hulu]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

I was reading the synopsis for some of next years episodes. This one sounds brilliant:

Richard Nixon runs for presidency yet again in the 3012 presidential elections. His opponent's legitimacy is called into question when he is incapable of providing an 'Earth Certificate' to prove that he is of Earthly origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Sorry for digging up this old thread but up until about 2 days ago I didn't even know there was a Futurama Season 6,7 etc and I wanted to include my views.

Since Futurama cancellation there has been about 10 seasons of the Simpsons, a Simpsons movie and a handful of Futurama TV movies and all were poor imho. So I really came into Futurama 6 expecting to be let down once again.

However I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. These are really good quality episodes full of actual clever and coherent storylines (remember when the Simpsons had those?) and genuine lol moments. My favourite so far was ep 6.06 (where Bender goes to find the human that "approved" him) and 6.09 (the one about "Creaturism").

Like I said I only found out about the show a couple of days ago but I'm currently working through at such a pace that I'm already on ep 6.17 (and hungry for more). So much so is my enjoyment level.

A genuine surprise imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Lovelyguy

Anyone know if Season 6 Volume 2 will be released on DVD here?

37689-futurama-season-6-2011-r4.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I am sad! This season is big improvement over some of the dismal episodes from last season. Pity really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kif! Inform the men! We have been cancelled :(

That's a shame - there are some that argue the show has been a pale imitation of itself ever since it moved to Comedy Central, but I think when series 6/7 hit its stride it surpassed a lot of the Fox years with some pretty hilarious, touching - and often risque - material (although admittedly some of the worst episodes come from the latter series too)

Shame to see it go, but if indeed this is the end - and tbh, I'd nearly prefer that it was, rather than suffer another bout of renewal rumours - I hope the writers tie up all the knots and give the main cast a worthy ending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

New eps last night was great. Episode two was very entertaining. Highway Star on episode one got me off my seat :D

Bad news everyone... Seth McFarelene will be voicing Seymour in a future episode. WHY!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I read that during the week alright. Very,very risky move putting Seth as the voice of Seymour. They are no doubt trying to be ironic about it, but run the risk of ruining what many regard as the best, and most sentimental, episode (Jurassic Bark) and storyline of Futurama's series. But should hold all judgement until it airs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought the double-bill return of sesaon 7 (wrong thread? :)) was pretty poor tbh; there were a couple of laughs sure, but the whole thing feels so flat and by the numbers, honestly I got a little bored by the second episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

pixelburp wrote: »
    I thought the double-bill return of sesaon 7 (wrong thread? :)) was pretty poor tbh; there were a couple of laughs sure, but the whole thing feels so flat and by the numbers, honestly I got a little bored by the second episode.

Yeah, I didn't dig them at all. Disappointing.

Up to speed with the new episodes and to be honest, they're not at all funny. This week's wasn't bad & there were a few chuckles, but overall the new series is hugely disappointing. I'm only watching out of loyalty to the show now and a desire to see how they approach the finale. Shame :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's not like the season before this was any good either
    even then I watched every ep as it was released but I havent been bothered at all this time around. i think i'm happier not knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's a shame - there are some that argue the show has been a pale imitation of itself ever since it moved to Comedy Central, but I think when series 6/7 hit its stride it surpassed a lot of the Fox years with some pretty hilarious, touching - and often risque - material (although admittedly some of the worst episodes come from the latter series too)

I'm one of those disappointed with a lot of the Comedy Central output but this 7B season has mostly been a pleasure to watch. Saturday Morning Fun Pit being an exception.

Unfortunate that it's taken till now to get it right again. "Yay Lamy!"

Yeah, to be fair the more recent episodes have actually been quite decent; the one broadcast last week - a blatant riff of The Thing - had a fair number of genuine laughs.

I still think on average the hit-rate was very low across the 7th season generally, and I only hope the finale is a fitting (and funny!) send off for the Planet Express crew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

Won't be a patch on The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just watched the final episode, it was the best of the last series and nearly brought a tear to my eye :(

Sad to see it go but it's finished and shouldn't be resurrected again. I say that as a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Really nice final episode, similar to "Devils hands are idle pay things"..........
    Now back to episode 1 for the re-watch :D

jb93zYW.jpg

So that's that: cya oodbye Futurama, you will be missed. Sure series 7 had too many duff episodes, but when it hit the mark it really scored, and it really knew how to tug on the heartstrings; this last-ever episode was no exception.

If I had one grumble, it's that the rest of the cast were relegated and played second fiddle to the question of Fry & Leela. If I'm honest, I never really bought them as a couple, so it seemed a shame that the series finale emphasised the love story at the expense of some quality Bender / Zoidburg time. Plus if the show was renewed yet again, the ending allowed just enough wriggle room to pick things up without fuss...

But in all likelihood, it's Goodbye to the Planet Express crew :(

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

As Terry would say, "Goodbye from the world of tomorrow!"

I still prefer the season 4 finale over this but this last episode had it's moments. Reminded me of some of the great ideas and gags the show brought to the table. May it rest well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

It would have been nice to end it with a tv movie.

Trotting out the "Good News Everyone" meme seems a little trite - and this was the most recent thread I could find - but ...

Honestly; I'm so-so on this news. The Comedy Central era was very hit and miss, and the ending we got felt good enough for the time. But I guess Hulu/Disney had another IP they could gouge for more nostalgia endorphin hits...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I am a huge fan of the original run of Futurama, and also the films. The Comedy Central incarnation did nothing for me and after seeing a few episodes I actively avoided watching or reading about any of the comedy central episodes lest my overall view of the programme become influenced by it.

Based on that I find it hard to get excited about new episodes. I'll probably give it a chance on the low likelihood that it recreates the Futurama of 20 years ago.

I think the Comedy Central period had some of the show's best and worst episodes. Couldn't give you a hitlist of the cream of the crop but there were some excellent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

John DiMaggio seemingly not returning as Bender. Role likely to be recast.

Ah jaysus, well then. DiMaggio's voice was a big part of why the character worked; I can't honestly see anyone filing that role and working.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

This is great news.

Agreed. He IS Bender however he is not not in this revival. Seems like he might still be negotiating.

How long does it take these days to from table read to finished project in animation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It could just be me personally but I just didn't sense from the episodes I saw that the CC run recreated the 'feel' that the original 99-03 series had. The films were slightly off as well but not too much, and I could give them a bit more leeway since they were films and not the episodic TV series. The CC episodes just seemed wackier and more modern Simpsons like (which may seem a bit of a ridiculous complaint considering the original run could have the crew doing just about anything with anyone in any part of the universe in any given episode).

It also seemed far more intent on pushing very topical issues (for the time). Not that the original run wasn't (e.g. how it depicted politics and the military as analogues of the early 21st century), but the CC run absolutely homed in on an extremely precise topic of its time and just nakedly crammed it into a story in a Futurama episode. Episodes like proposition infinity or the eye device were just so unsubtle that they didn't feel like the Futurama of old.

Again, could just be my taste and a sense of nostalgia ain't what it used to be, but I never warmed to the CC Futurama.

Dunno about exact timescales but presumably animation can take less time than live action so we might see it sooner than other shows. Heck you don't even need the actors in the same booth for recording: IIRC Archer almost never had its cast share a studio.

Honestly it's so long now I don't even remember what it was exactly that the good CC episodes brought to the table. Must see what those episodes were, if I can remember, and where you can even view them these days (especially this side of the Pond)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Honestly I thought animation takes longer.

I know Clone Wars (does CG animation takes longer than hand drawn?) did the voice recording years in advance and that sometimes an actor was alone or even not in the same country (David Tennant did his part in London).

Seems like John DiMaggio is drawing a line over the issue of voice actors' relative pay. So I guess if he does eventually appear, the question will be whether he simply took a pay-cheque too large to refuse - or if he forced the studio to pay everyone else as much.

• Advertisement

First trailer of the hulu era:

Advertisement