Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster v Biarrtiz Olympique - RDS 27/04/13, 14:30 SS1 (Print your tickets!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I honestly think Madigan will fare well in the centre. Losing Seanie is a big blow however, he takes so much ball for us.

Ah he will fare well, Madigan will always shine, stick him in as TH prop and he'll impress, but that's not the point. 12 is such a pivotal position, particularly in defence if he's third in line and is trying to lead the defensive line speed. His distribution in the tight will need to be excellent, to bring in those around him in close quarters and his awareness will need to be extra sharp. As good as Madigan is, his biggest weakness is his awareness.

But obviously, in Joe we trust...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ian Madigan
    .ak wrote: »
    Ah he will fare well, Madigan will always shine, stick him in as TH prop and he'll impress, but that's not the point. 12 is such a pivotal position, particularly in defence if he's third in line and is trying to lead the defensive line speed. His distribution in the tight will need to be excellent, to bring in those around him in close quarters and his awareness will need to be extra sharp. As good as Madigan is, his biggest weakness is his awareness.

But obviously, in Joe we trust...

Am I the only one looking forward to seeing what Madigan can do with Sexton putting him into space????

It's official now btw.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/9698.php#.UXpfV6KG13o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

This test just got much bigger.

Key moments in the last game involved MOTM Darcy and SOB breaking tackles for a try.

Defense and go forward ball is certainly weakened with these 2 missing.

This could be a bit of a try-fest with both teams ability to score and leak tries this season.

Leinster by 7 - championship minutes 5 minutes before and 10 minutes after the break to be key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ian Madigan
    I've only really seen Madigan and Sexton at 10/12 once, and it looked like a mismatch, against Glasgow in the semi last year.

Not sure centre suits Madigan's game, I'd actually think it'd suit Johnny more.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/9698.php#.UXpgQEpvCFg

The Leinster team to face Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque in Saturday afternoon's sold out Amlin Challenge Cup semi-final in the RDS (KO: 2.30pm) has been named...
    Leo Cullen, who passed the 200 cap mark in the recent victory over Munster, will lead an experienced line up in a side which shows a number of changes from the one selected for the bonus point victory away to Zebre last weekend. Ian Madigan forms an all Blackrock College midfield pairing with Brian O'Driscoll who will make his 83rd European appearance and now lies just four appearances behind second placed Shane Horgan on the all-time provincial list. Gordon D'Arcy is ruled out due to a calf strain but it is hoped that the Wexford man will fully recover in time for the visit of Ospreys next weekend.
    The back-row unit sees Jamie Heaslip partnering fellow Ireland internationals Shane Jennings and Kevin McLaughlin with Heaslip set to make his 163rd appearance (and his 60th in Europe) for the province. Cian Healy and Mike Ross form an all-Ireland front row alongside hooker Richardt Strauss.

Five of the Leinster replacements have come through the province's Academy.
    Saturday's game is a sell out and there will be no tickets on sale on the day.
    In addition to Sky Sports 1 who will show the game live on Saturday, the Official Leinster Supporters Club (OLSC) can confirm the following international broadcast arrangements for supporters around the world.
    UK & Ireland - Live on Sky Sports 1 from 2.30pm Saturday
    Italy - Live on Sky Sports Italia 2 from 3.30pm CET Saturday
    Asia - Live on Setanta Asia from 9.30pm HKT Saturday
    New Zealand - Live on The Rugby Channel from 1.30am Sunday
    USA - Delayed on Fox Soccer Plus from 6.30pm ET Saturday
    USA - (Subscription) - Live on Fox Soccer 2 Go from 9.20am ET Saturday
    Australia, Africa and Canada - No coverage
    Radio - Newstalk, RTE Radio 1, on radio, online at www.rte.ie and via smart phone app
    Our bases in London (Porterhouse Covent Garden), Birmingham (Oh Velvet), Dubai (McGettigans) and Christchurch (Monza Sports Bar) will all be showing the game live. In New York (Madhatter Saloon) the game will be shown delayed at 6.30pm on Saturday.
    Further information from the OLSC for supporters abroad can be found HERE
    LEINSTER:
    15: Rob Kearney
    14: Fergus McFadden
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Ian Madigan
    11: Isa Nacewa
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Isaac Boss
    1: Cian Healy
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Sean Cronin
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Jamie Hagan
    19: Quinn Roux
    20: Rhys Ruddock
    21: John Cooney
    22: Andrew Goodman
    23: Andrew Conway

BIARRITZ OLYMPIQUE: 15: Bosch, 14: Ngwenya, 13: Baby, 12: Traille, 11: Brew, 10: Barraque, 9: Yachvili; 1: Synaeghel
    2: Heguy, 3: Broster, 4: E Lund, 5: Taele, 6: Dubarry, 7: Lakafia, 8: Harinordoquy CAPTAIN
    REPLACEMENTS: 16: August, 17: Van Staden, 18: Gomez Kodela, 19: Marie, 20: Lauret, 21: Lesgourgues, 22: Burotu, 23: Thomas
    REFEREE: Wayne Barnes (RFU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Greg Garner, Paul Dix (both RFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Tim Wigglesworth (RFU), 5th OFFICIAL: Robin Goodliffe (RFU), TMO: Graham Hughes (RFU)

Not sure what happened to SOB?

• Advertisement

Ian Madigan
    ssaye wrote: »
    Not sure what happened to SOB?

He must be carrying a knock. Hope this doesn't impact his Lions chances.... :(

molloyjh wrote: »
    He must be carrying a knock. Hope this doesn't impact his Lions chances.... :(

As I thought, just would like to know exactly as the games are vital coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Ian Madigan
    Huge vote of confidence in Madigan. I imagine Goodman is disappointed though.

I wonder if retaining Toner & McLaughlin is a sign that the coaches are worried about the lineout as it has struggled a bit lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ian Madigan
    I've only really seen Madigan and Sexton at 10/12 once, and it looked like a mismatch, against Glasgow in the semi last year.

Not sure centre suits Madigan's game, I'd actually think it'd suit Johnny more.

Yeah that was the first thing that went through my mind, but things are different this time. He is starting for one, Darce got injured after half an hour v Glasgow, so preparation might not have been ideal. EOM was also injured in that game, he'll have BOD outside him this time. Ultimately though he's just a better player this year, and he looked good at 12 in the Italy game. Hopefully the fact Joe picked him over Goodman means he is showing up well in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Ian Madigan
    Madigan was very good at 12 against Italy with BOD outside. With Johnny inside directing things it could work very nicely, and I'd fancy Madigan to turn up at first receiver off multi-phase ball to have his trademark cut. Having those two around him will help defensively, as you know Biarritz are going to send Traille down his channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ian Madigan
    Hype710 wrote: »
    Madigan was very good at 12 against Italy with BOD outside. With Johnny inside directing things it could work very nicely, and I'd fancy Madigan to turn up at first receiver off multi-phase ball to have his trademark cut. Having those two around him will help defensively, as you know Biarritz are going to send Traille down his channel.

Pfft, 16 stone? Some more of this please Madser:

http://youtu.be/Jp1BSfSgyUA?t=57s

Am I the only one looking forward to seeing what Madigan can do with Sexton putting him into space????

It's official now btw.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/9698.php#.UXpfV6KG13o

Yeah but a team like Biarritz won't cough up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Especially as their season now rests on this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Is this a case of just getting a player on some lightning form onto the field? Would prefer Goodman at 12 myself but in Joe we trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ian Madigan
    Anyone heading along to this?

I'm in North Stand, should be a cracking day with Munster on after and the AIL Cup final before.

Ian Madigan

I'm assuming we're going to use Sexton, Madigan and Kearney to vary the point of attack a lot. If we're effective in that area space will come. Bearing in mind Boss is a potential breaking threat and Drico will be looking to draw defenders all day long. If we're accurate enough I think we can do some serious damage. It won't be Bath or Cardiff all over again, but it doesn't need to be.

Teferi wrote: »
    Is this a case of just getting a player on some lightning form onto the field? Would prefer Goodman at 12 myself but in Joe we trust.

That's how I feel. But who knows, maybe Goodman is carrying a niggle, and maybe Mads really impressed in training. If the weather is like this tomorrow we could be looking at an exciting day of rugby with some great runners on both sides of the field.

Ian Madigan
    That's how I feel. But who knows, maybe Goodman is carrying a niggle, and maybe Mads really impressed in training. If the weather is like this tomorrow we could be looking at an exciting day of rugby with some great runners on both sides of the field.

Didn't Goodman come off last week limping?

Didn't Goodman come off last week limping?

He did yeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Leinster say Sean O'Brien isn't playing tomorrow after failing fitness test on his calf from sinead kissanes twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yep, hopefully the weather sticks - if it does we'll have Sexton putting Mads in space all day. That will be a beautiful sight.

Ian Madigan
    Anyone heading along to this?

I'm in North Stand, should be a cracking day with Munster on after and the AIL Cup final before.

Terrace all the way. Hopefully the weather stays like it is at the moment. It can rain all it likes after 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Madigan is too good to leave out and should be accommodated at 12 or 15
    Agree about the weather being important, you will see a few heavy showers in Dublin today but will dry out again overnight and tomorrow and a good breeze should ensure a dry track

Any day without SOB available is disappointing but I think Healy Strauss and Jamie will make up the difference. Might be tight enough for a while but we have such an amazing kicking backline there we should tire them and pull away with some flair.

Cannot wait for Sexton+Madigan, what a magic transitional moment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Leinster team:

Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Brian O’Driscoll, Ian Madigan, Isa Nacewa, Jonathan Sexton, Isaac Boss
    Cian Healy, Richardt Strauss, Mike Ross, Leo Cullen, Devin Toner, Kevin McLaughlin, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip

Replacements: Sean Cronin, Jack McGrath, Jamie Hagan, Quinn Roux, Rhys Ruddock, John Cooney, Andrew Goodman, Andrew Conway

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Game now sold out...

Game now sold out...

Wait and you see the touts all around Ballsbridge. Please nobody buy from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is anyone doing a match thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

my wish has been grated of Sexton, Madigan and BOD in the midfield - hopefully it works , and is the future for Irish rugby

Ian Madigan
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Is anyone doing a match thread?

Writing one up now. Do we want to start a new thread or just use this one?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement