Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Rig 800euro

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Young Frankenstein

Ok thanks for the help nesf. Im pretty sure its some hardware failure as ive checked the sata port, sata cable and power cable. Im going to look into returning it or something :S
    In the meantime, i dont want to be left with no access to my pc just because of my ssd! Am i able to install windows on my hdd without losing all the files already on the hdd? I think windows might need to create a partition. Im worried that might mess with the files on it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Can you do two things for me that'll help people help you.

Can you give me the model number/type of SSD you have and can you tell me if you've access to another PC with a DVD drive able to burn DVDs. You can directly install Windows onto the partition but Windows 7 won't create a partition, it'll format the drive and install onto that. It can be installed onto a partition though, you'll just need to do something like partition your HDD with Parted Magic or whatever from a Boot CD/DVD before you install Windows onto the system again.

This can be somewhat complicated and if there's important data on that HDD that you can't replace easily I won't talk you through doing this and would suggest finding someone you know who has done this kind of thing before to do it for you.

Alrighty. The model is Samsung 840 Series MZ-7TD120.
    I can get my hands on a laptop with a DVD burner tomorrow.
    I have windows 8 btw, if that changes anything. Im pretty sure that gives you an option to partition a hard drive when your setting it up. Im just worried that it will format the hard drive again or do something else that will cause me to lose all my games and what not.

I've never installed Windows 8, never mind tried to get it to partition a drive properly with no data loss and then install onto that partition so I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't recall windows installs having the kind of power that you are suggesting here. They can add new partitions on drives with free unallocated space and format them. What you probably want is to shrink the partition that you have, so that you can use some of the space for a new partition. There's a few free tools that do this, I think the easiest thing to do might be to plug it in as an external drive to another windows 7/8 computer. Then use the drive manager to shrink the partition.

There's a thing that you can do with SSDs that are not detected... I can't find a link of instructions at the moment. Basically, you connect the SATA cable only and switch on/off the computer a few times as well as leave it plugged out for a while. The process drains the power and sometimes gives the drive a proper reset so that it works again. It's usually more for an intermittent problem rather than simply not working.

• Advertisement

Ok well sounds like installing windows on the hard drive would be alot more complicated than i had anticapated. haha Im just going to do without the pc untill i replace the ssd. Thanks for the help.

If you're planning on ordering a new SSD soon, I wouldn't install Windows onto the HDD anyway. It just creates a mess you have to clean up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You really should check out if it could be firmware related as nesf suggested. I have a Crucial ssd and it just stopped getting detected one day giving the same error. Turned out to be a power related issue for me connected to improper shutdown that made the drive shut down to protect itself. Was able to fix it with a firmware update.

If it was could save you the time it takes to rma

Yeah i googled to see if some one else had the same problem or a fix but had no luck finding anything.

If i install windows on a new hard drive, will i have to reformatt my hard drive with all my games on it anyway for it to show up in my computer.?

Yeah i googled to see if some one else had the same problem or a fix but had no luck finding anything.

If i install windows on a new hard drive, will i have to reformatt my hard drive with all my games on it anyway for it to show up in my computer.?

With Windows 7 there wasn't an issue for me once: the same Windows licence was used and the same user name and password was used for the administrator account. I've no idea if they changed this with Windows 8. You shouldn't have to reformat the old HDD whatever happens, you may just need to jump through a few hoops to get it seen and accessible. Nothing major usually.

• Advertisement

ok thats good. do you know what hoops i have to jump through to get it seen and accesible? I got frustrated not being able to use my computer, and bought a cheap second hand hard drive to put windows on, just until i can sort out the ssd.

ok thats good. do you know what hoops i have to jump through to get it seen and accesible? I got frustrated not being able to use my computer, and bought a cheap second hand hard drive to put windows on, just until i can sort out the ssd.

Does it not currently work? Have you installed Windows 8 on the other drive? If you can't see any files are you sure you installed onto the correct drive? Etc. Others who've installed Windows 8 will be able to help you better than I.

Its fine if you cant help me nesf. You have been plenty help already. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. No need for your head to be wrecked as well haha

The problem atm is that my 1tb hard drive with my games on it are not showing up in file explorer or my computer. I have installed windows 8 on my 80 gb harddrive. I can see the 1tb hard drive in device manager alright. I just dont know how to get access to it. Should it have been in my computer and file explorer by default with no tinkering? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The XFX is better. See there where it says 1536 processors (and Tahiti LE) vs the the other one with 1280? It's built on the 7950 design rather than the 7850/7870, so it has a fair bit of extra power in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Aight. It won't let me make an account because I need a postcode for address.. >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Seaaan wrote: »
    Aight. It won't let me make an account because I need a postcode for address.. >.>

Make it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

It wasn't working at first then I realised that I am a retard. Thanks anyway! Gonna order it when I transfer some money

Advertisement