Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Poker - Which Sites

Options
  • 19-04-2013 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hello all

I want to try online poker and was looking for a recommendation for popular site - I am beginner level and looking for small stake games eg 50 cent blinds

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FatFrog87

It depends what you are after. Pokerstars is the main site with the most players. Also their security is the best and your money is safest with them in my opinion.They offer deposit bonus also but most sites do. the software is the best also in my opinion. The problem with pokerstars the games are probably a little harder than other sites. The regular players are better but there is more fish also. The smaller sites you will probably getting better rakeback(bonuses on how much you play) but you will probably need to sign up through an affiliate. The network I think with best rakeback is ipoker but not fully sure, would have to do some reseacrh to find out. I play on pokerstars. Hope that was of some help to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

888 poker is a decent site for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

www.pokerstars.com is probably the most reputable at the moment i would advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

888 poker is a decent site for a beginner.

I second that. I started on Pokerstars which is an impressive site and I think Victoria Cohen uses it, but as a beginner I switched to 888poker as it's a bit more beginner-friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Probably not much help to OP at this point but you are better off with a site like Party Poker or someone else who segregates the player pool depending on skill level so you aren't playing too far behind the rest. Also playing at 25c/50c is going to be a lot tougher than you would expect and in general the level is going to be a lot tougher than if you were playing a €1/€2 game live you should probably playing at least a few thousand hands at 5c/10c first then a few more thousand at 10c/25c before moving to 50nl. Once you are at a decent level then move to PS as that is where the real money is especially for MTTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

Poker Stars all the way.

CAL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

770 poker, freerolls all day, great way to work on your skills and they have a no deposit cash bonus too. As do 888 poker which as already mentioned here is a decent site too for beginners IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Hey guys i'm looking for an alternative to ipoker (used on paddypower, williamhill, betfair, boyles etc.) - i've found the ipoker dealing system to be pretty horendous tbh - the manipulation of hands(i'm convinced its predetermined - to eliminate players - hence increase turnover) at certain points just absolutely ruins the game. so basically all i'm looking is an alternative that is (relatively) realistic! so i can enjoy a bit of online play, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 EdgarFriendly

I play on pokerstars. It has the most tables running, and the level of talent is not too difficult at micro/low stakes. Always good tournaments going, and lot's of variety in the SnGs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

played on full tilt for awhile, something never felt right about that place.

rarely play anymore but when I do it's paddypower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Hello all

I want to try online poker and was looking for a recommendation for popular site - I am beginner level and looking for small stake games eg 50 cent blinds

Any advice appreciated

You will get eaten alive at that level. I recommend you start at 1c/2c or 2c/5c. If you ever played €1/€2 live then the equivalent of playing online is 10c/20c.
    If you can beat the game over say 5k-10k hands then move up, otherwise keep playing at the current level. Most players let their ego get in the way when starting. Poker is not easy. If it was we would all be playing full time :)

Good luck. Watch training videos, read strategy. Are you gonna play Full Ring or 6 max. There is a big difference.
    Check out some stuff here , here & here

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Glennfogarthy1

sudzs wrote: »
    I second that. I started on Pokerstars which is an impressive site and I think Victoria Cohen uses it, but as a beginner I switched to 888poker as it's a bit more beginner-friendly.

Well if Victoria Coren uses it then it must be good lol. Why are you sending him to jokerstars it's the worst site for a beginner as it has the best players and it's bonuses and promotions are rubbish. I recommend you try softer sites associated with gambling companies. Shop around for bonuses and see if you can get free money. There are many sites on the ipoker network that offer free money instantly on first deposit, plus there player base is made up of gamblers who maybe want to try poker as opposed to betting.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cnolan

if you want to get disconnected quite regularly use an ipoker. there is duck all people online at night time too. maybe the promotions are better than pokerstars, but the freerolls on stars are way better. and more frequent.
    pokerstars would be the best bet if you want reliability.

if you are just learning to play poker. start low. don't be afraid to drop down levels and study as much as you can if you want to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gregg2

I'm using pokerstars.

I never have any problems.

888 poker are running freerolls every hour every day for the next 6 weeks prize pool ranges from $100 to $2000 you only need to play a $1 tourney each day to get a full day's entry, I made over a grand playing these last year and I'm no Phil Ivy!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 GreasyBaconCat

What's a good site that doesn't lock you in with bonus on deposit? I tried ladbrokes but they want a 30x spend to unlock any winnings after you deposit which is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aghost

NATLOR wrote: »
    888 poker are running freerolls every hour every day for the next 6 weeks prize pool ranges from $100 to $2000 you only need to play a $1 tourney each day to get a full day's entry, I made over a grand playing these last year and I'm no Phil Ivy!

How are you getting on so far? I've made a grand ....... total of $2.99 so far but then I'm a bit fishy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jesus i haven't played in aggggggges. we used to play ever week in college in 2006.

for some reason, i've got the urge again and i loaded up on paddy power, which was my go to site, which is seems absolutely dead! real empty rooms. where's everyone playing these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FatFrog87

Pokerstars is where it is at. Guessing competition weaker at some of the smaller sites though at the lower buyins

• Advertisement

aghost wrote: »
    How are you getting on so far? I've made a grand ....... total of $2.99 so far but then I'm a bit fishy

Well i certainly have hit the heights of last year,just about covering the daily challenge cost to reload! Its a bit of a lottery this year with the 3 min blinds so fishy is the way to go i think, good fun though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ChalyIE

Pokerstars, Full Tilt Poker and 888 are my favorites, since many years and I never had problems with anything. Winner poker offers some interesting variants of the game.

Advertisement