Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former FF TD Ivor Callely arrested by fraud squad

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

shar01 wrote: »
    Unfortunately time after time these FF crooks are carried shoulder high by the "grass roots" party faithful.

Just look at the reception Michael Martin got when he rocked up at a conference after getting the FF leadership job. If memory serves me correct this was only weeks after the Troika arrived in town (I stand to be corrected).

The pr**k has even applied for free legal aid. So the taxpayer continues to pay for the crimes of the crooks in the Fianna Fail party.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The pr**k has even applied for free legal aid. So the taxpayer continues to pay for the crimes of the crooks in the Fianna Fail party.

I actually have no problem with this. As long as he doesn't protest if he gets an inexperienced lawyer who might not have his best interests at heart.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I read the thread title as "firing squad"

Much too quick, hung drawn and quartered would be a much more preferably option for him and his ilk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I actually have no problem with this. As long as he doesn't protest if he gets an inexperienced lawyer who might not have his best interests at heart.

You can be sure Fianna Fail have a barrister that specialices in fraud cases kept on retainer, for when there Members get charged with an offence.

You can be sure Fianna Fail have a barrister that specialices in fraud cases kept on retainer, for when there Members get charged with an offence.

Possible, but given the current climate, I'm not entirely convicned he'll be activated. Would certainly do more harm than good to the party.

But - correct me if I'm wrong (probably am) - if you are granted leagal aid, a lawyer is appointed to you, not the other way around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Possible, but given the current climate, I'm not entirely convicned he'll be activated. Would certainly do more harm than good to the party.

But - correct me if I'm wrong (probably am) - if you are granted leagal aid, a lawyer is appointed to you, not the other way around?

You get to pick off a huge list of solicitors that are on the free legal aid panel. All the top criminal law solicitors are on that panel i.e. frank buttimer, michael hanahoe etc.So as long as there is no conflict of interest and they can fit you in their schedule etc then you can have one of the top defence lawyers in the country defending you.

Its not like the states where the free legal aid system is russian roulette for the defendants with many public defenders being straight out of law school (and the better more ambitious ones tend to work for the prosecution) and the best PDs tending to go into private practice after a few years in the trenches. In Ireland the system is fairer in that everyone gets to have very experienced defence lawyers under the free legal aid system. Callely will be savvy enough to pick a top notch solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

In 2007, the Irish electorate finally does the right thing and punishes a political for dodgy dealings by not re-electing them. What does Bertie do? Sticks him in the Seanad.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Can somebody clarify what the guidelines for free legal aid are?
    I would have presumed that it's there for people who can't afford their own lawyer?
    If so why is it offered to Ivor Callely, presuming that he isn't poor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dinneenp wrote: »
    Can somebody clarify what the guidelines for free legal aid are?
    I would have presumed that it's there for people who can't afford their own lawyer?
    If so why is it offered to Ivor Callely, presuming that he isn't poor?
    Did he fix a road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

We don't actually have a fraud squad
    The english do alright. NewYork has a fraud department. The germans have a unit. But we have a fraud Bureau. Which is french for 'office'. I'm not sure what the french have. Possibly a bureau. Or maybe in an attempt at one-upmanship they set up an 'Office'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,559 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Supreme Court hearing appeal by Oireachtas Committee against High Court ruling on it's decision against Ivor Callely. Is it open season on Ivor?

We don't actually have a fraud squad
    The english do alright. NewYork has a fraud department. The germans have a unit. But we have a fraud Bureau. Which is french for 'office'. I'm not sure what the french have. Possibly a bureau. Or maybe in an attempt at one-upmanship they set up an 'Office'.

An Offig?

Ivor sent for trial, now to find a jury without bias :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Just to have a level playing field, and in the interest of balanacing things out. I would like to share a nice memory of the Ivor I know and love.

Myself and Ivor back in the day used to carry around a ghetto blaster, knocking out Vanilla Ice and Heavy D, Ivor would always have a large roll of lino over his shoulder so we could break-dance and body pop where ever we felt like it...I guess Ivor was the original Grandfather of the Flash Mob.

I still smile when I think of Ivor doing the robbot in his shell suit.

My longlasting memory of Ivor is as he chugged his way up the hills of North Wales...

(Anyone under the age of about 40 and looking confused should just move on to the next post)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Former Junior Minister and Fianna Fáil TD Ivor Callely will appear before the Circuit Court on May 15 to face six charges under the Theft and Fraud Offences Act.

The 54-year-old, who is accused of making false mobile phone expense claims at Leinster House between November 2007 and December 2009, appeared before the District Court earlier today.

He is facing six charges of making bogus mobile phone expenses claims while a member of the Seanad.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/date-set-for-callely-court-hearing-592511.html

Finally a day in court and justice may be served.
    Oh sorry I forgot ... this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Well this explains why he no longer returns my calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ConstantLove

No matter where on Earth is good when the justice triumphs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Wonder if he has any plans to write a book about his experience behind bars. I'd suggest Ivor the Inmate. A chilerdens book. A roguish central character called Ivor, his mate Bertie and another called Fah-kowen.

Each chapter could end with a lesson. Like how being an upright, decent 'aul skin is laughed at so roundly, by so many after work in the Diál bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

After his arrest do you think he was given his right to make a phone call?

Ivor has apparently pleaded guilty to the charge of fraud, re his claims for mobile phone expenses. RTE report from court today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

aloyisious wrote: »
    Ivor has apparently pleaded guilty to the charge of fraud, re his claims for mobile phone expenses. RTE report from court today.

I sea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

But he won't be sentenced till the 22nd of July.

Why the long wait?

The cynic in me reckons it gives him time to build up a nice little list of doctors certs and medical reports stating that poor Ivor isn't in the best of health and a leniant (or suspended) sentence is appropriate.

Fúck that.

I'd prefer he be sentenced to two years work in a laundry dealing with sick patients laundry, and for him to pay for his prison board and lodging out of "his own pocket", rather than double-bill us again, with "prisoner-allowance" thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

We've all known for some time that man has no shame, but surely this is a new low?
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/callely-blamed-fraud-on-friend-who-took-own-life-court-told-30452492.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

He looks a bit like one of the characters from Thunderbirds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Slap on the wrist for this fella, the powers that be will see to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 and other disasters

We've all known for some time that man has no shame, but surely this is a new low?

Given his prior behaviour you shouldn't have such high expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I feel a lot of our politicians get more criticism than they sometimes warrant. Not this guy though...

Advertisement