Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get annoyed with people constantly texting on nights out?

Options
  • 18-04-2013 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I mean, god give me the strength not to take my friend's phones and dunk them into a pint of beer! I half give up making conversation half the night because they are constantly glued to the phone, texting or calling someone. One would even check her phone while we dance. I just think it is really rude and unless it was a serious emergancy all these texts and calls can wait!
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

rox5 wrote: »
    I mean, god give me the strength not to take my friend's phones and dunk them into a pint of beer! I half giving up making conversation half the night because they are constantly glued to the phone, texting or calling someone. One would even check her phone while we dance. I just think it is really rude and unless it was a serious emergancy all these texts and calls can wait!
    :mad:

+1 on this. It does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Text them and tell them to stop.

At least you'll get their attention

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Be less boring OP. I mean...

*tap, tap, tap, smiles at something on screen OP can't see*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Be less boring OP. I mean...

*tap, tap, tap, smiles at something on screen OP can't see*

How would you know if I am boring? If I was, sure my friends would not hang out with me, but they do and talk to me. But then the boyfriends or someone texts them then, and they are forever on the phones. Hell, I actually beginning to find our nights out boring and a waste of time, and I just end up lookng forward to going home to my bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's bloody rude too. We had a friend and his girlfriend around to dinner in ours a couple of years ago. Hadn't met her before and she spent most of the first two hours she was there staring at her phone where she was involved in some online auction :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I've never had that problem. Granted, I haven't left the house in 3 years but even if I did I wouldn't have that problem because I'm a fun guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Good Lord, yes. People with smartphones are the worst, because they check email, facebook, twitter and so on.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Seachmall wrote: »
    I've never had that problem. Granted, I haven't left the house in 3 years but even if I did I wouldn't have that problem because I'm a fun guy!

That does not make a difference. Even if someone was a fun person, that won't stop the other person from texting their boyfriends or whoever. Anyway you say ur a fun guy, but have not left ur house in three years, just think about that for a sec.

How would you know if I am boring? If I was, sure my friends would not hang out with me, but they do and talk to me. But then the boyfriends or someone texts them then, and they are forever on the phones. Hell, I actually beginning to find our nights out boring and a waste of time, and I just end up lookng forward to going home to my bed.

*finishes text*

Sorry, what was that?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Completely agree, so fcuking annoying but what's worse is people updating their Facebook status about being out with you when they're out with you, this is one of the things that makes me go grrrrr.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

My friend does this and then wonders why people don't go out more with her.

*finishes text*

Sorry, what was that?

:pac:

Go away. Have to edit this now since I got a warning for standing up for myself, even though this guy is the first one to tease me over something I am genuinely getting upset over. :(

Dio mio, the internet used to be more fun in my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

spankysue wrote: »
    Completely agree, so fcuking annoying but what's worse is people updating their Facebook status about being out with you when they're out with you, this is one of the things that makes me go grrrrr.....:mad:

This. Checking you in somewhere to show everyone the great social life they have yet they're sitting on their phone and not actually interacting with you!

You know what they say about too much technology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The whole point in going out for the night is to have a good time, so how the heck people can have a good time when they are like zombies glued to their phone all night i don't know.

Normal communication with a person these days is gone because as soon as you try to make conversation they are focused on the phone. Zod damn zombies most people have turned into. Sure i see them walking straight across the road looking on their phone when a truck is oncoming, almost mashed to death.

From when i see my brother till he leaves, his head is stuck into the phone, it's braindead and rude bigtime. I f*cked my mobile in the bin ages ago and won't use one unless for a 999 call, hate the bloody things.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Depends, if you're organising other people joining you then nah, work away, doesnt bother me hugely unless they're completely not paying attention to you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That does not make a difference. Even if someone was a fun person, that won't stop the other person from texting their boyfriends or whoever. Anyway you say ur a fun guy, but have not left ur house in three years, just think about that for a sec.

Good point. He may not be as fun a guy as first appeared to be the case.

I am guilty..... gotta keep on top of all those forums and threads I follow on Boards, not to mention the social networks and online games.
    Nothing wrong with a quick game of poker in between conversations or while out having a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I once got home after a night out and saw my friend had taken a picture of me drinking while I wasn't looking at the camera phone, uploaded it there and then and tagged me. I mean posing for the photo is one thing.. being completely unaware it's been taken is another..

This tagging people into places creeps the bejaysus out of me. I do not want the randomers knowing where the hell I am and what I'm doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Despite not having left my house in 3 years I know I'm more fun than you.

I'm the one your friends are texting when they're ignoring you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

One day when I have friends I will know what this is like

Until I will text away and no one will care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Was in the pub last week with three friends. All three were texting at one stage, well, one was sending an email and the other two were texting. Email was long, and the other two were getting replies and replying.. :mad:

I sat there for the guts of 20 minutes looking around and feeling like a spare. Went to the bar and kept walking. Walked across the road to where i knew a few people were. I hate it. If i'm out, my phone is off or stays in my pocket.

I'll reply when it suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jinbakrdi

Make an antisocial tower. Get everyone to stack their phones on the table and if anyone checks their phone they've to buy a round. Worked for my friends and pretty quickly too. :D

And this.

God i hate this.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Allyall wrote: »
    Was in the pub last week with three friends. All three were texting at one stage, well, one was sending an email and the other two were texting. Email was long, and the other two were getting replies and replying.. :mad:

I sat there for the guts of 20 minutes looking around and feeling like a spare. Went to the bar and kept walking. Walked across the road to where i knew a few people were. I hate it. If i'm out, my phone is off or stays in my pocket.

I'll reply when it suits me.

There's a trick to this: phoen the restaraunt and when they answer, ask to speak to your friend, who you beleive is dining there. When he leaves and picks up the phone, start asking him how things are.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Recently saw a young girl texting during the funeral Mass.
    I don't own a mobile phone, and yes it is infuriating.
    Would seriously put me off someone if dating and getting to know someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Facebook.

The last thing humanity will ever invent.

It's all downhill from here on.

There's a trick to this: phoen the restaraunt and when they answer, ask to speak to your friend, who you beleive is dining there. When he leaves and picks up the phone, start asking him how things are.

There's another trick to it. - THIS :D

Seachmall wrote: »
    Despite not having left my house in 3 years I know I'm more fun than you.

I'm the one your friends are texting when they're ignoring you.

Really, how would you know? You don't know what I am like or if I am fun or not. I know that friends say I am good company, it's the whole new love texting that gets in the way. Anyway I doubt very much after three years of isolation from the outer world that you would be much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Not so much on nights out but I hate it when you are out having a meal or lunch with a mate and they are pretending to listen to you talk whilst texting and then laughing at a joke they read and which you dont know anything about. Shows a complete lack of respect and manners. Even worse is when you speak and a few seconds later they look up and in a real disinterested voice say "Yeah....?". :mad:

Advertisement