Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Play in GAA

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Young lad playing last week against a strong inner city Dublin club. He's 7 playing in his own age. An incident occured on pitch nothing major but a parent from the opposition walked onto the pitch when paly was at the other end and told my lad to shut up and F$$$ off. No other adults saw this and he played his games tho I spotted he wasn't right as he just went into his shell. Eventually got it out of him in the car going home.
    All sorted now and was a once off. club involved are doing their best in a tough area and won't be pushing it. Coach spoke to him andis ok now.
    My point i that if yo have coahes and spectators on the pitch it does give license to some lunatics to do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

shaungil wrote: »
    Young lad playing last week against a strong inner city Dublin club. He's 7 playing in his own age. An incident occured on pitch nothing major but a parent from the opposition walked onto the pitch when paly was at the other end and told my lad to shut up and F$$$ off. No other adults saw this and he played his games tho I spotted he wasn't right as he just went into his shell. Eventually got it out of him in the car going home.
    All sorted now and was a once off. club involved are doing their best in a tough area and won't be pushing it. Coach spoke to him andis ok now.
    My point i that if yo have coahes and spectators on the pitch it does give license to some lunatics to do what they want.

That is ridiculous. That man should get a life long ban the stupid prick. Either way when he does it to an older player he will get levelled. Was there an official referee at the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

That is ridiculous. That man should get a life long ban the stupid prick. Either way when he does it to an older player he will get levelled. Was there an official referee at the match?

I'd have him reported to the club you were playing against
    most clubs have internal disciplinary procedures

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It's no surprise sometimes at kids behaviour on the pitch when you hear what's being directed at them from the line. I've coached underage for a good few years now - probably the most shameless thing i've witnessed so far is 6 yellow cards for an U10 team a few years back - which included a headbutt which the ref missed but saw the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I'd have him reported to the club you were playing against
    most clubs have internal disciplinary procedures

He should be ****ed out of the club if the club do believe it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Theres a few clubs that do great work in really tough areas. If a parent gets banned then the kid gets no sport esp at this age when they might need it most. Mentors for this team are good guys trying their best. I coach the same lads for rugby and I trust the mentors to look after it and how they;ve dealt with it. If one of us had seen the incident we could take a different approach but noone did so bet to leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

Sadly a lack of respect for other players, supporters, and referees is something I have noticed a steady increase in during my 30 odd years of involvement in the GAA. I went to games with and Father and Grandfathers. My 4 Greatgrandfathers were all members and players. I have 4 first or second cousins with All_Ireland senior medals and several others with Junior Minor or U21 medals. I myself was an average club player, my family and I are steeped in the GAA but my first son is 11 months old and I am seriously considering steering him in the direction of other sports as I feel the values I grew up with in the GAA are almost dead.

paul71 wrote: »
    Sadly a lack of respect for other players, supporters, and referees is something I have noticed a steady increase in during my 30 odd years of involvement in the GAA. I went to games with and Father and Grandfathers. My 4 Greatgrandfathers were all members and players. I have 4 first or second cousins with All_Ireland senior medals and several others with Junior Minor or U21 medals. I myself was an average club player, my family and I are steeped in the GAA but my first son is 11 months old and I am seriously considering steering him in the direction of other sports as I feel the values I grew up with in the GAA are almost dead.

same goes on in lots of sports
    trust me

same goes on in lots of sports
    trust me

Not really, the type of behaviour I am talking about is rampant in soccar, increasing in Gaa, creeping into rugby, but remains almost unknown in Basketball in Ireland. There are other non team sports where respect of the opponent and referees is still strong, tennis, badminton, and Athlethics. Vollyball, cricket, equestrian, handball and canoeing are also options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Not really, the type of behaviour I am talking about is rampant in soccar, increasing in Gaa, creeping into rugby, but remains almost unknown in Basketball in Ireland. There are other non team sports where respect of the opponent and referees is still strong, tennis, badminton, and Athlethics. Vollyball, cricket, equestrian, handball and canoeing are also options.

Cricket probably has the biggest reputation for sledging,
    Its obvious your going to see more s*it talk in a team sport than an individual sport like canoeing.

• Advertisement

maybe you'd be better off on one of those forums so??

maybe you'd be better off on one of those forums so??

Why? I have an active 30 year involvement in the GAA and as such have an absolute right to criticise the decline in its standards, I am not a soccar head coming here with nothing better to do then moan about an organisation I know nothing about. The sport and organisation I and my entire family gave our lives to is in crisis due to players, members and supporters behaviour and I have every entitlement to be critical of that.

If you cannot debate that criticism without telling people to leave the forum perhaps it is you who would be better off in another forum.

Why? I have an active 30 year involvement in the GAA and as such have an absolute right to criticise the decline in its standards, I am not a soccar head coming here with nothing better to do then moan about an organisation I know nothing about. The sport and organisation I and my entire family gave our lives to is in crisis due to players, members and supporters behaviour and I have every entitlement to be critical of that.

If you cannot debate that criticism without telling people to leave the forum perhaps it is you who would be better off in another forum.

as someone who has been involved in the GAA all my life I can name the clubs who behave like this - adult and underage, and the clubs who are a pleasure to deal with or play against.
    but I don't compare standards to other sports.

I just try and make sure my own club sets standards of behaviour

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Cricket probably has the biggest reputation for sledging,
    Its obvious your going to see more s*it talk in a team sport than an individual sport like canoeing.

That is true and indeed is also true of Basketball, but sledging is 1 aspect of the multi-demensional decline In the GAA. The overall decline is abuse and indeed criminal assault of referees, vicious untrue personal rumours deliberately started about players at intercounty level (there are 2 infamous examples of this which almost ruined the lives of 2 very well known players), failure of disiplinary commitees to deal with blatant cheating and assault (some of which should also be dealt with in the criminal courts), financial mis-management at various clubs and county boards, the partisan defence of the indefensiable based purely on club or county alliegance inspite of the damage that it does to the organisation as a whole.

To be honest the list of decline in standards is massive.

as someone who has been involved in the GAA all my life I can name the clubs who behave like this - adult and underage, and the clubs who are a pleasure to deal with or play against.

I accept that but as some point the organisation as a whole must look at its standards even when it does not involve your own club or county, the alternative is the loss of playing population to other sports which has already happened over the last 20 years.

If the GAA fails to compare the standards it imposes and expects of its players members and clubs to other sports, and those standards come up short of the standards of other sports organisations you can be certain that parents will not fail to make that comparison and the GAA will lose those potiential players and members to the other organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yep agreed, there's certain clubs I dread going to, even stemming back to my playing days, latest fad I've seen on 3 different occasions visiting a particular club is a spot of tyre slashing in what would be assumed a well to do area, while I can readily pick up the phone to other mentors and shoot the breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

My son was playing county final last week. He was continually dogged out of it throughout the game, pushing off the ball, walking on his heels, mouthing in his ear you name it.

5 mins to go he turns to my son apologises and says my mammy told me to do it.

My sons age, 13 i kid you not work

My son was playing county final last week. He was continually dogged out of it throughout the game, pushing off the ball, walking on his heels, mouthing in his ear you name it.

who is to blame? the kid or parent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

i am not irish but prefer football over soccer . My kids play both at underage level so spend my time driving them around for games.
    The amount of abuse during GAA games is unreal ! All are guilty but first on the list are parents. It makes my blood boil so will not go into details.
    Even referres are at it , heard one telling Fxxk this and Fxxk that to an umpire at an U12 game recently ( a Roscommon lad from the club who won 2013 all Ireland , not naming anybody here :)) . He even tried to cheat by adding more point for the local team .

Having said that there are many many genuine people in GAA , it is a great team sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

ah sure ! wrote: »
    i am not irish but prefer football over soccer . My kids play both at underage level so spend my time driving them around for games.
    The amount of abuse during GAA games is unreal ! All are guilty but first on the list are parents. It makes my blood boil so will not go into details.
    Even referres are at it , heard one telling Fxxk this and Fxxk that to an umpire at an U12 game recently ( a Roscommon lad from the club who won 2013 all Ireland , not naming anybody here :)) . He even tried to cheat by adding more point for the local team .

Having said that there are many many genuine people in GAA , it is a great team sport.

Exactly, a lot of the problem lies with the parents. Whilst many parents are excellent, it sets a terrible example to see mammys and daddys either A roaring at young lads, B at the ref or C at other parents.

Ideally they shouldn't be allowed near the sidleline but thats difficult to police as many grounds aren't enclosed.
    if young lads get into these types of habits at U12 and U14, the bad habits become difficult to break as the player gets older

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

What county do you come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

piplin wrote: »
    What county do you come from?

Cill Dara

Advertisement