Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Value In Batteries

Options
  • 18-04-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

DuracellDirect.ie prices appear to be very good value.

Huge range of batteries from regular alkaline to laptop to drill to button batteries.

Free delivery for any value purchase and free courier delivery for purchases over €40

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Hmmm, not sure I'd recommend them for laptop batteries.
    I checked out a replacement laptop battery for my Inspiron 1720

They say "In Stock Now €88.56 inc VAT"

If I search on Amazon.co.uk there's a load for under £10-£20 (Sterling) although none of the feckers will deliver to Ireland.
    Nothing parcel motel couldn't sort out though I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

^^^ You really don't want to cheap out on batttery's for your laptop. People are far to wuick to buy cheap battery's. In most cases they are a waste of time, particularly if they are for recharging.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

If you need regular AA/AAA C/D or button batteries, Dealz (The euro shop) is the place to go. Yes, the batteries dont last as long, but at €1.50 for 10 AA or AAA batteries from Kodak/Philips/Sony etc its great value. The button batteries are also great, sheets of different sizes for €1.50.

Always handy to have a few packs lying around at home, especially around Christmas time if you have kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Duracellbdirect is psa parts its worth checking misco as the psa batteries are often in the clearance section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

AA or AAA batteries from Kodak/Philips/Sony

They probably never even stayed beside REAL Kodak/Philips/Sony...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hmmm, not sure I'd recommend them for laptop batteries.
    I checked out a replacement laptop battery for my Inspiron 1720

They say "In Stock Now €88.56 inc VAT"

If I search on Amazon.co.uk there's a load for under £10-£20 (Sterling) although none of the feckers will deliver to Ireland.
    Nothing parcel motel couldn't sort out though I imagine.

Have to agree.Looked up a battery for an old Packard-Bell lappy and the price was €160.00:eek:. More than the damn lappy is worth.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Ebay uk is the best ,often get 8 durecell recharge for 12 delivered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Snowc wrote: »
    Ebay uk is the best ,often get 8 durecell recharge for 12 delivered

8 AA rechargables for 6 euro in Lidl 2 weeks ago.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

If you need regular AA/AAA C/D or button batteries, Dealz (The euro shop) is the place to go. Yes, the batteries dont last as long, but at €1.50 for 10 AA or AAA batteries from Kodak/Philips/Sony etc its great value. The button batteries are also great, sheets of different sizes for €1.50.

Always handy to have a few packs lying around at home, especially around Christmas time if you have kids.

They put new meaning into the word disposable. I've been going through two of those Kodak AAs a week on my wireless mouse. Although I suppose at €1.50 for ten it's still probably OK value. Wonder if the Sony or Philips ones are any better.

jakdublin wrote: »
    They put new meaning into the word disposable. I've been going through two of those Kodak AAs a week on my wireless mouse. Although I suppose at €1.50 for ten it's still probably OK value. Wonder if the Sony or Philips ones are any better.

I have an Energiser 1 hour fast charge unit.

It charges 4 AA battereis from flat to full charge in 53 minutes (timed it).

I use it for the digital camera and also for TV and DVD remotes.

Its a great bit of kit.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Supervalu often have 4 Rechargeable Energisers with fast charger at half price ~€9.

This one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004IJ5ANQ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Sony Eneloop are the only rechargeables I use. Superior performance, even against alkaline batteries in most cases.

For wireless mice you can get a set with a USB charger for buttons on amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

stimpson wrote: »
    Sony Eneloop are the only rechargeables I use. Superior performance, even against alkaline batteries in most cases.

They look the business alright, I have found the duracell rechargeables perform the worst of all the batteries I have. I have no name ni-mh from 12 years ago that outperform the duracells from new.

Supervalu often have 4 Rechargeable Energisers with fast charger at half price ~€9.

This one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004IJ5ANQ[/QUOTE]

Im glad you think that 8 hours charge time is a "fast charge"...:pac:

paddyp wrote: »
    They look the business alright, I have found the duracell rechargeables perform the worst of all the batteries I have. I have no name ni-mh from 12 years ago that outperform the duracells from new.

It all depends on the battery. I have Duracell 2450mAh and they are great in my flashgun. Their LSD cells are good too, but Sanyo invented the LSD cell and the latest generation Eneloops are the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have my 15 minute charger that I got from MyMemory, great for when the batteries in the xbox controller run down, a 5 minute spurt is enough for at least another few hours play.

paddy147 wrote: »

This one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004IJ5ANQ[/QUOTE]

Im glad you think that 8 hours charge time is a "fast charge"...:pac:

Yeah, sorry about that. It's not the charger I was thinking of. Still great value though IMHO.

paddy147 wrote: »

Yeah, sorry about that. It's not the charger I was thinking of. Still great value though IMHO.

This is the Energizer charger that I bought.

I find the 2300 mAh batteries great for my Nikon bridge camera and they last absolutely ages.Ful recharge in 53 minutes..which isnt too bad.

Also use them in the TV and DVD remotes too.:)

I also use these Tronic rechargable batteries from Lidl...8 of them for 6 euro.

Find them very good for TV remotes or the Velux window blind remotes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fast chargers tend to fry the batteries, you're better off putting them on a slow charge if you don't need them urgently.

The cheap batteries from Dealz, Euro2 etc are a serious false economy - they last a very short time and tend to leak.

this seems a decent deal from Amazon (these are their Eneloop knockoffs that hold the charge for longer - the high discharge rate on regular rechargeables is the main drawback of using them.)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0030T1NFO/?tag=keepa-com-21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

loyatemu wrote: »
    The cheap batteries from Dealz, Euro2 etc are a serious false economy - they last a very short time and tend to leak.

I use the cheap batteries from the Euro2 shops, I try to avoid buying stuff from Dealz that's available in other shops, and they last ages in remote's, torches and keyboards. Even if they only last half as long it's still cheaper than buying decent brands.

But if I'm going anywhere I always have a few packs of Duracell, got on special, to use.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    fast chargers tend to fry the batteries, you're better off putting them on a slow charge if you don't need them urgently.

Actually, the opposite is true. NiMH batteries have a small voltage drop when they reach full charge. If your charger uses this to determine when the battery is fully charged, it is far easier to pick up when you're on a fast charge. I've had my fancy charger miss the drop when charging on 100mA, but never on 350mA.

Actually, the opposite is true. NiMH batteries have a small voltage drop when they reach full charge. If your charger uses this to determine when the battery is fully charged, it is far easier to pick up when you're on a fast charge. I've had my fancy charger miss the drop when charging on 100mA, but never on 350mA.

probably depends on the charger - most fast chargers are fairly basic. The one I used to use ended up killing most of my batteries (as in I put them in to charge and it wouldn't recognise them)

Ended up buying one of these, which has brought them all back to life and restored most of their original capacity. Good article on rechargeable here.

That's the very charger I have!

*virtual high five*

Edit - had a scan of that article. One thing he doesn't go into is balancing your packs. When you get a new set of batteries, run them on test mode - this will discharge them and fully charge them, measuring as it goes. When it['s finished you'll have a readout of the actual capacity of your batteries. You then pair them off so that your pairs are closest in capacity to each other. That way, when they are used, they will both hit empty at the same time and can take a full charge, which will prolong battery life. You can take this to extremes, by labeling your batteries and logging their capacity in a spreadsheet. With 20+ batteries your pairs will be very close to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Excellent batteries alright, thousands of discharge cycles before they start to degrade performance-wise and you can charge them up to 100%, throw them in a drawer, come back 2 years later and they'll only have dropped to 80% charge, so handy for leaving in a bikelight or something like that and so worth the extra couple of quid.

That's the very charger I have!

*virtual high five*

Edit - had a scan of that article. One thing he doesn't go into is balancing your packs. When you get a new set of batteries, run them on test mode - this will discharge them and fully charge them, measuring as it goes. When it

yeah, I've seen that mentioned in reviews of the charger, but that's possibly taking battery geekery a bit too far for me...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

slightly off topic

The best way to save money on batteries is to treat them well.

Things that kill rechargeable batteries are trying to get that extra few minutes out of them. If one of the cells empties before the others then the cell is now being driven in reverse by the others. This will kill that cell. No ifs or buts.

Lithium and Lead acid will die if you let them discharge fully. So keep a top up charge on them.

Lithium batteries die in a few years no matter what you do. So don't hoard them. If you do then charge to 40%, keep somewhere cool and check the charge every month. It's still die in a few years though.

note: when NiCAD batteries self discharge to zero it's not a problem, draining them to zero is a problem if any of the cells finish early.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For windows the default settings are

Low Battery 10% - Warn user
    Reserve Battery 7% - warns apps to save documents etc.
    Critical 5% - power down

Increasing them will mean you have less minutes of battery life at first.

But since your battery will now last longer you will have more minutes of battery life later on because you weren't pushing the battery to it's limits as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I was just looking for batteries :)

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I was just looking for batteries :)

In the kitchen, second drawer. :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

any euro store

Advertisement