Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoshi's Island 3DS

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I really enjoyed the first Yoshi's Island. I got very bored of Yoshi's Island DS so I don't think I'll bother with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Fecking symths website >.< gonna go buy it now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I got it this morning. I've only played the first 4 or 5 stages. Graphics are decent enough, no real 3D effect to speak of (which suits me fine!). Controls seems a little less fluid than I'd expect, like Yoshi won't move when I expect him to. Not a huge fan of having motion controls forced on me, but they don't seem to be relying on user precision so that's a positive. I can't give an informed opinion, but based on my brief play, I can't say that much progress has been made in 19 years since the original!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

chrislad wrote: »
    I got it this morning. I've only played the first 4 or 5 stages. Graphics are decent enough, no real 3D effect to speak of (which suits me fine!). Controls seems a little less fluid than I'd expect, like Yoshi won't move when I expect him to. Not a huge fan of having motion controls forced on me, but they don't seem to be relying on user precision so that's a positive. I can't give an informed opinion, but based on my brief play, I can't say that much progress has been made in 19 years since the original!

In fairness, the original would probably still be one of the best 2D platformers around. There hasn't really been much progress by anyone in the meantime in the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Deano7788 wrote: »
    In fairness, the original would probably still be one of the best 2D platformers around. There hasn't really been much progress by anyone in the meantime in the genre.

That's not really fair to say. Super Mario Bros was the best. It's sequel Super Mario Bros 3 surpassed it. Then Super Mario World surpassed that. Distance between those games wasn't 19 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Local gamestop didn't get it in, and I didn't have time to try Smyths....

If planning to get it from GS, good idea to ring first to see if they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

chrislad wrote: »
    That's not really fair to say. Super Mario Bros was the best. It's sequel Super Mario Bros 3 surpassed it. Then Super Mario World surpassed that. Distance between those games wasn't 19 years.

No, what I mean is that imo, in the past 19 years, no 2D platformer has improved upon or been better than Yoshi's Island. Similarly, Super Mario World imo is the best 2D platformer of all time, with 3 just behind. The NSMB games didn't improve on them after a long time frame. I don't think the 2D platformer has actually progressed since the 3 aforementioned games, other than perhaps graphics.

Yes, 3 was an improvement on the original and imo World was a further improvement (although some would debate this), these were the relatively early days of the genre and imo the pinnacle.

Gamestop didn't get it yet apparently, right pain.

I love it :D

Where did you get it, cloud?

• Advertisement

In symths. Website says it's in most places .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I got it in Smyths Jervis St after all, €39.99

I'm finding it really great. Quite annoying you have to get all the collectables from a level in one go, but other than that, I don't have any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm finding it really great. Quite annoying you have to get all the collectables from a level in one go, but other than that, I don't have any issues with it.

According to a review I saw you don't. IF you get the full amount for either star men, flowers or red coins then you don't have collect them again next time around. So you can just focus on red coins on go. Flowers on another and the perfect run of Starmen in the final go.

Yes your quite right :p music isn't as bad as the reviews said either, or the graphics, I like them both. The only thing I absolutely do not like is the motion sensor sections, they're cack. Nothing that couldn't be done with the regular control options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ah the music is just about the worst thing ever after a few hours

I've only played the first couple of levels but I like it so far. I think it's great not having to collect everything in one go. That got really stressful in later levels of the other Yoshi games.

It's an interesting one. I played the first half of world 1 and enjoyed it. It had things that I liked about the original - the same exploration, the same gameplay mechanics, the same cute sound effects, and I didn't even mind the music. It was like putting on an old pair of familiar shoes.

Then I played the original (GBA version from Ambassador program). It plays twice as fast, it has ridiculously catchy music and had more invention in the first level than the first 4 levels of new one combined.

The new one is still good, but if the original is a 10/10, then this is about a 6 (so far anyway).

How is everyone getting on with this?

I've finished the first world, not with 100% yet. There are some questionable design choices like Yoshis slow reaction times and some flowers/red coins hidden in invisible clouds, but I'm still having fun with it.

I retract my previous 6/10 and upgrade it to an 8/10. It's a very good game.

Some of the secrets are very well hidden though. A couple of times I have been very methodical with the exploration, checking every corner for hidden clouds and yet I'd finish a level with 4/5 flowers and 17/20 coins. I realised early on that it's not enough to jump into corners and fire eggs at lines of coins - you need to walk on every single platform too (sometimes walking on a spot will trigger a block of coins).

I finished world 1 completely (including the secret level) and I'm into world 2 now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement