Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same sex marriage legalised in New Zealand, House of Representatives bursts into song

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought they were gonna sing Faith by George Michael.. disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A showtune was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ha! that's actually pretty cool.

+1 for the use of the word shitehawk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just like the Dáil.

Half empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I thought they were gonna sing Faith by George Michael.. disappointed.

I was expecting YMCA. Also disappointed.

• Advertisement

GLEE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

No Abba?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

longshanks wrote: »
    Fair play to hte Kiwis, it all seems a lot more civilised and progressive than anything the shitehawks representing us are capable of.

That's an unreasonable criticism of our politicians. The legal advice they have received is apparently that a constitutional amendment would be necessary to introduce same-sex marriage here - an amendment which, based on the electorate's past record of conservative social attitudes, would quite probably be lost (Remember divorce only passed on the second attempt by a narrow margin).

As such, same-sex union would need to be introduced and broadly accepted before a constitutional amendment to support same-sex marriage will be put to the people. Even then there will no guarantee on the outcome..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

View wrote: »
    That's an unreasonable criticism of our politicians. The legal advice they have received is apparently that a constitutional amendment would be necessary to introduce same-sex marriage here - an amendment which, based on the electorate's past record of conservative social attitudes, would quite probably be lost (Remember divorce only passed on the second attempt by a narrow margin).

As such, same-sex union would need to be introduced and broadly accepted before a constitutional amendment to support same-sex marriage will be put to the people. Even then there will no guarantee on the outcome..

Possibly because older people make up a higher proportion in referendoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I think it will take a couple of generations for this stuff to happen. It completely sucks, but we're still run a Catholic conservative mindset, both in the Dail and in the country in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

<insert "Lord of the Rings" joke here>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If that doesn't move you, you're probably David Quinn.

this is so great to see love is love :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Bee Gees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Nowhere in our Constitution does it define 'marriage'. It has repeatedly been stressed that the Constitution is a 'living document' to be interpretted contemporarily. Furthermore, the Constitution states that the state is obliged to 'protect the family'. Therefore, it could certainly be argued that by leaving so many families unprotected, the state is failing in its obligation to protect the family, and should therefore legislate for protection of non-conventinal families.
    IMO, Enda just doesn't want to make a hard decision and is dragging this issue out in order to buy time. If it is put to referendum, he is unlikely to lose votes from his more conservatives voters as he can say that it was essentially out of his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone notice the song has the tune of a mhuire mhathair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

anyone notice the song has the tune of a mhuire mhathair

I thought of it straight away when I heard it! Although I did hear other songs with the same tune before, that often happens- it's originally a Maori song called Pokarekare Ana, a kind of unofficial NZ anthem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I was expecting my lovely horse but nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Our lot would break into 10 Hail Marys and 5 Our Fathers before the vote, then scratch their heads after it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

flanzer wrote: »
    Our lot would break into 10 Hail Marys and 5 Our Fathers before the vote, then scratch their heads after it

It's OK they'd keep their hats on and not scratch their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Awesome. I'm pretty sure they were the first folks to give women the vote too. Blasted kiwis, making us look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Whoomp, there it is! Whoomp, there it is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Just like the Dáil.

Half empty.

Seems like the chamber is a lot smaller to begin with. I propose we thin out our numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is also great, guessing it was before the vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The NZ parliament works hard, so they get to play hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Duffinution uv merrige ummendmunt bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

View wrote: »

Oh give it to the people to decide. The Irish constitution needs to be ripped up and shredded in many parts, it's wayyy to out of date for modern society

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

What better way to celebrate progress than bursting into song! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭AnarchistKen

I'd love to see this happen in Ireland. Fair play to the kiwis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Village People and Donna Summers medley.

Advertisement