Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steepest hill around Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

diomed wrote: »
    There is about 30 metres near the Sugarloaf in Kilmacanogue that I thought was incredibly steep. I took a wrong turning in the car once and found myself coming down this very steep hill. I was afraid the car would tumble down.

I think it is Bramble Bank, near Ballybawn Cottages on Rocky Valley [R760] , Kilmacanogue. It is near the junction leading up the Sugarloaf road [R755]. I was wondering at the time was it possible to get up it on a bike.

I know it. Very steep alright, but doable on a bike.

Handy shortcut to go down to avoid the hairpin to double back into Enniskerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I know it. Very steep alright, but doable on a bike.

Handy shortcut to go down to avoid the hairpin to double back into Enniskerry.
    The bit I am describing is on the north side of Rocky Valley.
    I think the short-cut you describe is on the south side of Rocky Valley but only about 100 metres away.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

Steepest hill around Dublin.... every little bump going to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

The hill out of Enniskerry towards Glencree has just been resurfaced. They did a decent job on it too, doesn't make it any easier to climb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Right at Church in Howth (Balkill Rd?)

http://app.strava.com/segments/1782510

Bring that up through Windgate Road and you have a decent ascent to around 12 grad I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

MediaMan wrote: »
    That bit at the start of the ascent on the bend just after the bridge is very steep, but I don't think it's anything like 30%. The elevation readings on the Edge 500 are accurate over distance, assuming the weather is stable (it works on air pressure). However over very short distances (a few meters) it's not accurate, due to the sampling interval I think. I've seen elevations on short hill segments look like a set of steps for this reason.

This also throws off Strava's power calculation, making it very spiky. This was confirmed by Strava support. They recommend switching to map-based elevation data in these cases, which does tend to smooth it a bit.

With Garmin Connect you can also switch to use map elevation data. Seems to be a bit of a lottery as to what difference it makes to the original for both Strava and Garmin.
    Looking at the Strava segment page (http://www.strava.com/segments/631154), mousing along the elevation profile, I do see a "27.8%" quoted at the top of the hairpin, but I'm really hazy about what data Strava uses on these segment pages - is it taken from the ride uploaded by the person who created it or from road/map data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Lumen wrote: »

Did kilmashogue last night for the first time.
    Great workout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

How would Killiney Hill (coming from Serento Terrace side) match up to these?

recently back in the saddle taking this on a few times a week and would be interested to know.

Thanks

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

A stiff little test that goes under the radar: http://app.strava.com/segments/650692

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

How would Killiney Hill (coming from Serento Terrace side) match up to these?

recently back in the saddle taking this on a few times a week and would be interested to know.

Thanks

Simon

Shorter and not as steep than most of the climbs mentioned, although it does kick up at the end. Nice road to cycle early mornings during the summer.
    Coming up from the other side is harder IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

daragh_ wrote: »
    Shorter and not as steep than most of the climbs mentioned, although it does kick up at the end. Nice road to cycle early mornings during the summer.
    Coming up from the other side is harder IMHO.

Yeh it's a beautiful cycle - still has me panting badly at this stage so will master that one before moving on to other ones on this thread! ;-)

Advertisement