Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use your house alarm when you are at home?

Options
  • 14-04-2013 10:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

I find it bizarre that people don't turn on the house alarm when they go to bed at night. It seems so stupid to me.

Do you?

If not, why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

Yes, every night. Never leave the house without turning it on either, no point of having it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Eh yeah, I like to be made aware of people breaking into my house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Of course! I even put it on when I'm home alone during the day as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah we arm downstairs, not upstairs because you dont want it going off when you are running out for a gypsies kiss at 5am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Munster46

I always put mine on at night no matter what , I always find it strange when people don't turn theres on at night it's like what's the point in having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,608 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yes.

Sometimes it accidentally goes off at night, I run down the stairs in a haze to turn it off - then I realize, standing there in the dark, what if there's someone in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Yes op! i put the alarm on and have 2 attack dogs that sleep with me in the bed

This guys a crook who's going to trace your ip if you say you don't put the alarm on!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Thinly veiled "tell me your security arrangements so that I can burglarise your house", market research thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Always turn it on. By "it" I mean the crocodile dog. I give him a good poke as I head upstairs to make sure he's not fast asleep. I wish all burglars the very best of luck playing with him. He's a dote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I think Caramay is trying to find houses to burgle :p

Edit: Damn you Aquaman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No. I have a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No. I have a gun.

Careful now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Got a stupid motion sensing alarm in the house. Seemed like a great idea at first I guess. Only to realise you can never have the alarm on while someone's in the house or else you'll set it off for no reason!

P.S. I should buy a gun...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,003 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR THE DRAWER IS AJAR

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't think I've ever heard a house alarm going off and became concerned that somebody was being burgled. Just ever wished they'd turn it to feck off.

My dog is about 100 times cheaper to run and more efficient.

I don't think I've ever heard a house alarm going off and became concerned that somebody was being burgled. Just ever wished they'd turn it to feck off.

And that is why monitored alarms were invented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

MarkMc wrote: »
    For dogs??

For dogs??

Nope, the bit about people not giving a shít about alarms going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

MarkMc wrote: »

Monitored alarms are just about as sucky in my experience. My mam's a pharmacist, and key-holder for the pharmacy where she works because she lives closest to it.

Whenever the alarm goes off, the phone-watch company calls her first of all. She then has to contact Gardai to arrange a place to meet as key-holders are not supposed to enter or approach the premises alone.

The whole thing usually takes about 40 minutes and more than once the perps have gotten away not only with drugs and till contents but the safe as well, and have never been caught. Even the Gardai know they will not be caught at that stage.

I'm sure such setups work well for certain places but it's not much of a step up from conventional alarm systems for a lot of places either.

I think people are being lulled into a false sense of security in how monitored alarm systems are being sold to them.

• Advertisement

There's an alarm going off as we speak. Im in an apartment block and its SO LOUD! Going for about a half hour now, it does it a lot, same apartment. Normally lasts about 5 minutes. This is getting silly.

There's an alarm going off as we speak. Im in an apartment block and its SO LOUD! Going for about a half hour now, it does it a lot, same apartment. Normally lasts about 5 minutes. This is getting silly.

This is where you need the gun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't have one. I would like to get one for when I'm in the house at night, but I think they're pretty much useless for when the house is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

if in bed I set all doors and windows. combined with my retriever who is lovely but doesn't take to strangers in the garden she makes a good early warming as her bark is certainly intimidating. when I'm out I set full arm which is all sensors in and out.

it is monitored which is grand sometimes i forget the dog is in the house asleep and she'll trigger the alarm. the monitoring people call and check everything is alri.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

This is where you need the gun!

to shoot at the alarm ?

mattjack wrote: »
    to shoot at the alarm ?

Indeed! Or the burglar... whoever is the culprit!

It stopped, thank God :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

yeah we arm downstairs, not upstairs because you dont want it going off when you are running out for a gypsies kiss at 5am

You run out the window for a piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't think I've ever heard a house alarm going off and became concerned that somebody was being burgled. Just ever wished they'd turn it to feck off..

I'm lucky enough to live in a tight knit community where we'd check things out like this, I reckon that's why we haven't been burgled. Our dogs are good too, big, strong, gamey and willing, but there's the risk of poison.
    My dog is about 100 times cheaper to run and more efficient

My dogs vet and food bills are more expensive than my alarm.

Where do you live My name is URL? Just curious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I have a dog too, a big one.

Advertisement