Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Howth like to live ?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 9:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

What is Howth like to live
    Are the people friendly
    Is there much to do
    What amenities or facilities are there
    How safe is it I. Regards to burglaries

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Any one

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dude - From previous posts I understand that you live not too far from Howth. I would have assumed that you would be somewhat familiar with the area & what facilities are available locally.

With regards to the friendliness of the locals - there are nice & not so nice people in every town. I find that it is usually how you treat them that determines their friendliness towards you.

As for burglaries - let's face it, Howth ain't exactly at hot-bed of criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pol Zeath

Howth is Magic alright.

But there are no banks or garages on the peninsula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

With regards to the friendliness of the locals - there are nice & not so nice people in every town. I find that it is usually how you treat them that determines their friendliness towards you.

As for burglaries - let's face it, Howth ain't exactly at hot-bed of criminal activity.

Can't quite agree with that. There are 2 parties in Howth who are alleged to carry out burglaries on a fairly regular basis and there was a recent 2 day spree of car thefts all over the peninsula. A couple of Euro was robbed from the parking change in my own car and a friend's car was trashed during that spree.

It is a friendly place but full of small town gossip where many know your business.

It be a pain to drive in and out of on sunny weekends.

... but the pros far outweigh the cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pol Zeath wrote: »
    Howth is Magic alright.

But there are no banks or garages on the peninsula.

2 banks on the peninsula but no garages

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    2 banks on the peninsula but no garages

There's the EBS too which is like the other 2 (AIB and BoI) at Sutton Cross. Credit Union is also in Howth village.

Now the Maxol at the level crossing at Baldoyle is closed, maybe permanently, so the nearest one is at Grange beside the entrance to Baldoyle Industrial Estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

There's one in kilbarack ( i think thats where it is) a texaco where in sutton instead of turning right down the elfin you keep going straight

Kilbarrack Texaco on the coast at the bottom of Kilbarrack Road has been closed for a couple of years now.

tricky D wrote: »
    Now the Maxol at the level crossing at Baldoyle is closed, maybe permanently, so the nearest one is at Grange beside the entrance to Baldoyle Industrial Estate.

Maxol were talking about upgrading a load of their petrol stations over the next few years and I think they may have recently just changed the signage on that Maxol in the last few weeks. Be crap to loose another petrol station in the area. Was an akward one to get at the pumps so hopfully its just be relayed out

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

What is Howth like to live
    Are the people friendly
    Is there much to do
    What amenities or facilities are there
    How safe is it I. Regards to burglaries

It's a great place to live.

Things to do... pubs, restaurants, lots of places to walk/run/cycle, swimming, sailing/watersports, football clubs, music nights, activities for kids, boat trip to the island, free tennis court, several gyms. Did I miss anything?

People - well there's definitely some snobs but there's lots of nice people too. Main thing would be to get involved in some things so get to know people through them.

Cons - it's expensive, to buy or to rent. But keeping an eye on what's out there to rent and you can find something decent that doesn't cost 2 grand a month.

Safety - well I have been burgled once there, left an upstairs window open and lost a lot, and I have heard of some burglaries occurring lately, so like anywhere you'd want to secure your place. But as for personal safety in the street, I would say it's very safe, I never worry walking anywhere in the dark in Howth.

Nearest grocery shopping for big shops is Superquinn Sutton (expensive)
    or Tesco Malahide Rd (a trek but saves money and has more variety).

The dart is reliable and was great when the snow halted the whole bus system.

So all in all I think it's a great place to live.

• Advertisement

If anyones interested the yacht club are having a type of open day on May 5th for anyone interested in getting in to sailing & boats. see www.hyc.ie all details are on the home page there.

There's the EBS too which is like the other 2 (AIB and BoI) at Sutton Cross. Credit Union is also in Howth village.

Maxol were talking about upgrading a load of their petrol stations over the next few years and I think they may have recently just changed the signage on that Maxol in the last few weeks. Be crap to loose another petrol station in the area. Was an akward one to get at the pumps so hopfully its just be relayed out

Reopened a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

I grew up in Howth, I've always said it's a great place to grow up and a great place to grow old, but for the bit in between it's rubbish.
    It's all subjective though, and very dependant on where in Howth. The Southern half of the peninsula is mostly big houses, loads of little back roads, and acres upon acres of Golf courses. The Northern half is the side with the village on it, and a good rule of thumb is this: The closer to sea level you are, the cheaper the houses are. Evora, Grace O Malley, St Nessan's Would all be considered fairly "normal" Dublin housing, but the further up the hill you go (Balkill, Windgate & above) the posher & more expensive the houses get.

It has a mix of people, some nice & friendly neighbours, some snobby gits that you automatically hate. It has the small town mentality where you can't fart sideways without the whole town hearing about it. Has some great pubs & restaurants, but the lack of a petrol station and bank is a big drawback. As well as that, the only ATM in the village is only accessible until 10pm, as it's inside the centra in the village. Many a time I had friends that had to get a taxi down to Sutton cross and back just to get cash out of an ATM while on a night out.

There's been a 24/7 ATM beside the Gem/opp the DART station for well over a decade, if not two. Agree mostly with the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

There's been a 24/7 ATM beside the Gem/opp the DART station for well over a decade, if not two. Agree mostly with the rest of your post.

Ah, I forgot that one beside the dragon boat.. If it's out of service (way too often) then you're screwed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Pol Zeath wrote: »
    the peninsula.
    the peninsula.
    the peninsula
    Gweedling wrote: »
    the peninsula

I always thought it was a tombolo. :o

The tombolo is the bit at Sutton Cross which connects the peninsula.

3rd para: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton,_Dublin

The tombolo is the bit at Sutton Cross which connects the peninsula.

3rd para: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton,_Dublin

So I wasn't totally wrong then! :)

Wouldn't a tombolo connect an island then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I would have said that, given its permanency, Sutton Cross is an isthmus rather than a tombolo.

Just back from thew sister's where we had a chat about this and got the definitive answer. The brother in-law is a Doctor of Geography and maintains that is a tombolo with no ambiguity. He's local, has studied the Earth Science of the area and was even on TV recently taking core samples in Dublin Bay from the end of Sutton Creek. According to him, the tombolo is only about 6000 years old and used to be even bigger around a thousand or two years ago. The recent effect of the formation of the Bull Island in the last 180/190 years and recent construction has halted any decline in size.

• Advertisement

Just back from thew sister's where we had a chat about this and got the definitive answer. The brother in-law is a Doctor of Geography and maintains that is a tombolo with no ambiguity. He's local, has studied the Earth Science of the area and was even on TV recently taking core samples in Dublin Bay from the end of Sutton Creek. According to him, the tombolo is only about 6000 years old and used to be even bigger around a thousand or two years ago. The recent effect of the formation of the Bull Island in the last 180/190 years and recent construction has halted any decline in size.

Ha, so all the muppets saying that they live 'on the peninsula' are actually wrong! :D

Nope, the tombolo connects the peninsula.

Nope, the tombolo connects the island

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Nope, the tombolo connects the peninsula.

is it not then a tied island http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombolo

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

I've lived in Howth all my life and it's absolutely spectacular. Great pubs, restaurants and nice people, albeit some snobs as mentioned before.

Houses are very expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭herbalplants

What is like living in Howth these days? How do people feel about the apartments going up?

I know an old thread.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The new apartments near the DART station?

They look great but must be mega money.

Those apartments will be all for rent. There are two more lots of apartments being built.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

wonder how many the council will snap up for social housing then if they are to rent.

• Advertisement

Good question.

I hope they are looking seriously at the public transport for all these people.

I guess Lidl or Aldi will claim one of those spots too.

Living the life

Advertisement