Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Skeptic, Atheist, Secular etc Events

Options
  • 13-11-2012 1:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for notice of any upcoming events which should be of interest to atheists, agnostics, the mildly religious and non-religious, skeptics and their friends, colleagues and families :)

====================================

Short notice, but this evening at eight in the Davenport Hotel, Merrion Square Professor John Crown (Consultant oncologist, Senator and newspaper columnist) will present a critical analysis of the Irish health service:

http://www.irishskeptics.org/events/2012/2012-11-13

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

He's very difficult to listen to. He also constantly refers to himself as a humble consultant in the Seanad, which is deeply eye rolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I think he's one guy who has spoken sense for years.
    That's why he got my No 1 in the Seanad election

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think he's one guy who has spoken sense for years.
    That's why he got my No 1 in the Seanad election

I'd go back and read the official report of the debates in the Seanad. I think you'll find he's one of the biggest windbags in there. Full of 'brilliant' ideas but no clue how to implement them or indeed say in three words what he can say in ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls, you are cordially invited to the 5th annual Boards.ie Stand-Up Comedy Night in aid of The Santa Strike Force.

Hope you all can make it along to support the Santa Strike Force and have a Fantabulous Night at the same time!

BOARDS.IE PRESENTS: Now Ye're Laughin: The best of Irish comedy!

When: Saturday the 8th of December
    Where: The Belvedere Hotel, Great Denmark St, Dublin
    Who: The best stand up comedy acts this side of Montreal.

Official Line up to be announced soon!

DEFINITELY.....The best comedy line up in the world!!

Why: to Raise Money for the Santa Strike Force
    How Much: Free!! -> but donations to the SSF welcome

Going to be a brilliant night and for a very very good cause.

The Raffle on the night is always a highlight and this year is no exception, prizes TBA:

Every Penny donated and raised by the Raffle goes to the Santa Strike Force!

There will also be special drinks promotions too, watch this space!

536828_10151505086998238_1108587861_n.jpg

Come see great comedy and help kids in need!

http://www.facebook.com/events/353168244778584/?ref=ts&fref=ts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Temporarily *stuck*. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

:( One of 3 big xmas party nights I have to work for lands on the 8th. Would have loved to make it. Stupid lack of recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

How did they convince Dav to wear a Santa suit? >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'll be in New Jersey at a free bar Festivus function. Should we add a poll to get an indication of how many from here are going?

Here is the line up so far (we have two more to be confirmed, so keep an eye on the thread!):

- MC Ruairi Campbell: A veteran of many festivals worldwide including Edinburg, New York & Kilkenny Cat Laughs.

- Neil Hickey: A Bulmers Comedy Award winner and also the man responsible for those twisted Anne & Barry videos.

- John Colleary: Star of The Savage Eye and The Panel.

- Gerry McBride: Author of the awesome 'No Punchline' blog and winner of a TedFest award!

- Robbie Bonham An internationally published cartoonist and winner of 98FM's Best Comedian award.

[-0-] wrote: »
    Should we add a poll to get an indication of how many from here are going?

I'm not sure I see the point? It's not like it's an A&A only event. Sure people can post here to say they are attending and if people want to arrange meeting beforehand between themselves then more power to them.

• Advertisement

Delighted to finally announce the 3 extra comedians that complete the bill:

- Marcus Olaoire: Regular on The Republic of Telly and The Savage Eye.

- Gordon Rochford: Founder of Comedy HaHa and star of the hilarious 'Spare Room.

- Greg Marks: "If Ali McCoist, Ricky Gervaise, Brian Cowan all rode Mary Harney, the bastard child of that UNIQUE sex session".

Couple of the raffle prizes on offer:

558883_10151117884787665_567770492_n.jpg

You want the Stephen Fry don't you....

good_news_everyone.jpg

There will be a free shot for all attendees at the door thanks to the good people at Piranha.

Just got the total counted.

€1,020

We are delighted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Glad it went well for ya. So crappy being far from Dublin sometimes - I'd have gone to that! Well done - great fundraising:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Delighted to hear that, and sorry that I couldn't make it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Irish Skeptics' final talk for 2012 is taking place tomorrow evening, Wednesday, December 12th, at 8pm in the Davenport Hotel, where Professor Mike Gibney (Director of the Institute for Food and Health, UCD) and author of the recent book Something to Chew on: Challenging Controversies in Food and Health, gives a talk entitled "Facts and fancy of food and health".

This presentation will look at food and health from the point of view of both nutrition and food safety. As regards the latter, Prof Gibney will cover the myth that things "natural" are always superior to those that are synthetic. In all aspects of life we trade risk with benefit and this is also true of the human food chain. Risk is considered and if below certain levels, is accepted and the process of defining that risk will be presented. The 'natural' versus synthetic' debate will be explored in relation to organic agriculture and to genetically modified foods.

It will also extend into the whole area of the slow food (locavore) movement. Given the huge importance of obesity, the nutrition component will focus on that area. Prof Gibney will show that obesity is not a recent phenomenon but has always accompanied affluence throughout history. Trying to explain the modern epidemic on modern root causes is popular but wrong. Finally, Prof Gibney will look at the issue of "nature"and "nurture" in relation to obesity which has a heritability of up to 75% which compares with values of 69% for depression and 53% for alcoholism.

The ISS will be celebrating its 10th birthday on the night, so there'll be a glass of (non-slimline) mulled wine on offer before the talk :)

For those interested (or perhaps those who couldn't attend), here is a review of the event.

Jesus H Christ.

The Iona "Institute" is doing something next door with John Waters. Matter and anti-matter meet.

Could be interesting in the bar afterwards.

Harry-Hill-Fight-AP-WDC5.jpg

• Advertisement

We survived. None of them made it to the bar. Probably as most were too old to climb up the stairs. David Quinn is a small little chappie, btw. He must feel weird hanging around all these really old people all the time.

Still, strange to see a priest at the entrance to a skeptics talk.

//sheesh

Robert Ince of Infinite Monkey Cage fame is doing two shows at The Science Gallery at the end of February:
    Following his sold-out performance of "Happiness Through Science", Robin Ince returns to Science Gallery with his brand new show, The Importance of Being Interested, where he covers Charles Darwin, Richard Feynman, Aristotle and the joy of picking shells up on the beach and realising that being self-conscious in a big universe is a darn good thing.

Join Robin, host of BBC Radio 4's Sony Gold winning Infinite Monkey Cage, for a night that combines comedy, science, and everything in between.

Doors open at 18:30, Running Time: 90 minutes + interval. Tickets are €18 (€15 for students, unemployed, OAP)

Book for Wednesday 27 here and Thursday 28 here

I was at the last one -- great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This looks great! Is there a copy of his last show online, can you buy it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Robin Ince. Smart lad, never thought he was particularly funny as a stand up though.

Can't remember if this has been mentioned before, but Atheist Ireland are organizing a conference on 29th and 30th of June this year entitled "Empowering Women Through Secularism":

http://www.atheist.ie/empowering-women-through-secularism-conference-dublin-ireland/

High-profile speakers include
    • Ivana Bacik, Irish Senator and member of Atheist Ireland
    • Dan Barker, Freedom From Religion Foundation, USA
    • Ophelia Benson, author and commentator, USA
    • Jane Donnelly, Education Policy Officer Atheist Ireland
    • PZ Myers, science professor and blogger, USA
    • Maryam Namazie, Council of Ex-Muslims in Britain, Iran
    • Michael Nugent, Chairperson Atheist Ireland
    • Rebecca Watson, Skepchick network, USA

And topics will include:
    • How religions discriminate against women
    • How religiously-influenced laws discriminate against women
    • The history of women in atheist and secular activism
    • Healthcare, sexuality and reproductive rights
    • Education, careers, and social policy
    • Combatting violence against women
    • Political strategies, media and building coalitions
    • The future of women in atheist and secular activism
    • Declaration on Empowering Women Through Secularism

As with the World Atheist Conference in 2011, this conference will be in the O’Callaghan Alexander Hotel, just off Merrion Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Will the elevators be turned off...

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Will the elevators be turned off...

Getting in before anyone else did yeah? Well done :pac: Roaring laughing that women's rights get reduced to that - but sure yer right to point it out before anyone else does. In case they wanted to take the piss like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

futurama-fry-not-sure-if-meme-cartoon.png

Yes I have stopped beating my wife :rolleyes:
    I support womens' rights Obliq, ffs, elevatorgate inflated certain people's egos but damaged the cause of womens' rights imho. Damged the cause of reason over insanity imho - which is something all who support rationalism should mourn.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Yes I have stopped beating my wife :rolleyes:
    I support womens' rights Obliq, ffs, elevatorgate inflated certain people's egos but damaged the cause of womens' rights imho. Damged the cause of reason over insanity imho - which is something all who support rationalism should mourn.

Yes, I know that about you ninja, and have never disagreed with you on anything before, to my knowledge. I just read the line-up in the post, acknowledged to myself that it looks like it's a relevant and timely conference and I might go......and the FIRST comment after it was preeeeety predictable. :rolleyes:

That feckin elevator gate passed me by completely. The only damage I'm spotting now is the perpetuation of it. I DO however, have equality issues within my own country. I could die if I go to hospital miscarrying, or I could be sent overseas (unofficially) rather than wander the streets of Ireland with a dead fetus in my womb. This country is full of religious bull****e, I don't have to tell you that.

When I see something that looks as interesting as this,

* How religions discriminate against women
    * How religiously-influenced laws discriminate against women
    and
    * Healthcare, sexuality and reproductive rights

ELEVATOR-FACKING-GATE is not the first thing that springs into my mind. I blame your good self if anyone else starts banging on about it again. It is totally irrelevant to this interesting event, in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Looks like a great line up, with some really interesting stuff to discuss. I would have a fear that some of the discussions could just become a big of a back slapping exercises. There aren't many people who disagree on much (to my knowledge).

Advertisement