Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Only" 24 hours from Tulsa.

Options
  • 10-04-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭

Good tune but ridiculous lyrics. The guy is driving home and says he is "only" 24 hours from Tulsa. At a speed of 60 mph this is 1440 miles away. This is just a thousand miles short of a coast to coast New York to LA drive. Unless this guy started his journey in Patagonia or the tip of northern Alaska he has no business using the world "only".

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Good tune but ridiculous lyrics. The guy is driving home and says he is "only" 24 hours from Tulsa. At a speed of 60 mph this is 1440 miles away. This is just a thousand miles short of a coast to coast New York to LA drive. Unless this guy started his journey in Patagonia or the tip of northern Alaska he has no business using the world "only".

Morning Sheldon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

well hes going to have to stop and take a break somewhere surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Just stop will ya. I was just thinking the same this morning when I was lying in bed

Gas isnt it? Gas I tell ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Vodka and Gene Pitney at this hour of the day

get a job OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Good song but.

This is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since 'The Never-Ending Story'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Its well up there with that Katy Perry Tune " I kissed a girl"

She didnt score with no Byor boiii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Maybe he was late and was just saying "only" to calm the people down.

Like how you would say "I'm only 10 minutes away" when really you're at least 20 minutes away :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

You think being only 24hrs from Tulsa is bad? Try walking a room a thousand years wide.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Maybe he's walking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Welcome to the "Jungle"?

Hello, it's a song about a city...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

He doesn't even make it to Tulsa. He meets some dame along the way and falls for her. The song is him explaining to his Tulsa lady that she ain't going to be seeing him anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tulsa! I could never make out what he was singing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Only 24 hours from Tulsa is as bad saying, 'This is just a thousand miles short of a coast to coast New York to LA drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I prefer "The man who shot Liberty Valance." I even do pretend to draw a gun after he sings that line in the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

See, Yanks discarded most useful units of measurement and replaced them with stooopid ones, e.g. they have no unit of mass / weight bigger than a pound; they buy spuds in bushels; drinks in fluid ounces and gehhhss in their c0ck3d up gallon, ffs. They have also b@ll$ed up time and distance so, when you ask your average Yank how far someplace is from here, they use TIME units rather than distance. "How long is your driveway"? 'Bout twenny seconds". Therefore, Mr. Pitney could have met the new wan anywhere from Alpha Centauri to Owasso, and his mode of transportation remains critically important but unknown.

It's a good choon but open to some mockery because of the "doo doo....doo doo....doo doo...." intro and outro!

I have this choon in my head now

'' From LA to New York from New York to LA ...hey hey hey ''

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

fooks sake do I have to do everything around here?

oh yeah NSFW etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

BrensBenz wrote: »
    See, Yanks discarded most useful units of measurement and replaced them with stooopid ones, e.g. they have no unit of mass / weight bigger than a pound; they buy spuds in bushels; drinks in fluid ounces and gehhhss in their c0ck3d up gallon, ffs. They have also b@ll$ed up time and distance so, when you ask your average Yank how far someplace is from here, they use TIME units rather than distance. "How long is your driveway"? 'Bout twenny seconds". Therefore, Mr. Pitney could have met the new wan anywhere from Alpha Centauri to Owasso, and his mode of transportation remains critically important but unknown.

It's a good choon but open to some mockery because of the "doo doo....doo doo....doo doo...." intro and outro!

They didn't discard most useful units of measurement (I assume you mean the metric system) because they never adopted them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I guess what he means is "Just one more day" as in he hasnt seen his girl in ages, but this time tomorrow they'll be together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

KungPao wrote: »
    I guess what he means is "Just one more day" as in he hasnt seen his girl in ages, but this time tomorrow they'll be together.

Well "Only one day from your arms," was in the chorus.

He just met this other girl Darling ,it happens , it just wasn't meant to be .

/weeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ah Tulsa, the Paris of Oklahoma

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

OP he was driving the delorean. So he got there in 24 hours yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Tulsa, meh. Tulla's where it's at. It's got a Ceili Band and everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    They didn't discard most useful units of measurement (I assume you mean the metric system) because they never adopted them

Oh, I've experienced their reactions to metric and the rush to either medication or bibles whenever mentioned!
    I was actually referrring to their (inherited) adoption and subsequent unilateral altering of British / Imperial measures, e.g. the US gallon and the boycotting of any unit of weight / mass greater than a pound.

Anyway, this won't be of any consolation to the wan in Tulsa who, after all these years, still doesn't know how close Gene Pitney was except that some unknown form of transport would have got him to Tulsa in 24 hours! Since he knew the time required to get there, he must have known the distance and speed required. So, Gene, ffs, in units of length, how close were you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Can't believe how wrong you all are.

He was referring to the four hour gigolo sessions he hired himself out for, and he only needee twenty more before retirement.

Hence, twenty 'four hours' from Tulsa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Advertisement