Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey paint for hallway

Options
  • 10-04-2013 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I am trying to find a nice grey paint for a hallway - I'd like it look like the colour in the attached image - a pale grey, it even has a slight tint go green I think ? This is a new build and our stairs will be similar design and colour to that in photo also

http://homeklondike.com/2011/03/04/traditional-hallways-design-ideas/#.UWUQrcu9KSM

Has anyone painted a room where the colour looks like that in the picture, if so what's the brand and name colour/number.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Oh thanks cardwizzard it does look very similar -would you know a colourtrend or dulux colour that would not be as expensive ?

Your welcome.

If you ask in your local paint store to match this colour, most can usually get pretty close. Can be made up in the usual Crown, Fleetwood, Dulux etc etc which will be less expensive. Maybe get a small sample first, to make sure your happy with the colour.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find Mulberry silk a nice grey, its greatly assisted y a contrasting colour

ted1 wrote: »
    I find Mulberry silk a nice grey, its greatly assisted y a contrasting colour

Ive tested Mulberry silk - it's more lilac grey and I'm using it in another bedroom / wanted a grey/green for hall to match tiles with a hint of green in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭DublinDIYguy

aquarius10 wrote: »
    I am trying to find a nice grey paint for a hallway - I'd like it look like the colour in the attached image - a pale grey, it even has a slight tint go green I think ? This is a new build and our stairs will be similar design and colour to that in photo also

http://homeklondike.com/2011/03/04/traditional-hallways-design-ideas/#.UWUQrcu9KSM

Has anyone painted a room where the colour looks like that in the picture, if so what's the brand and name colour/number.

Thanks in advance for any help

Dulux Delicate Willow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Fleetwood trade paints do some lovely greys in matt,soft sheen and mid sheen.

Have Fleetwood grey in the master bedroom and also in part of the kitchen.

But any paint trade centre will mix you up what you want.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Fleetwood trade paints do some lovely greys in matt,soft sheen and mid sheen.

Have Fleetwood grey in the master bedroom and also in part of the kitchen.

But any paint trade centre will mix you up what you want.

Soft sheen and mid sheen is generally the same thing..
    I think I can almost visualise your whole house at this stage you keep describing it every time you post about anything related. I don't see the connection of your bedroom being painted in fleetwood grey and this op finding the colour he wants..
    Most good paint shops will be able to match most light colours, but the darker or richer the colour the harder it is for them to get a good match as these colours are usually mixed in a base so will be lighter when mixed into white..

Soft sheen and mid sheen is generally the same thing..
    I think I can almost visualise your whole house at this stage you keep describing it every time you post about anything related. I don't see the connection of your bedroom being painted in fleetwood grey and this op finding the colour he wants..
    Most good paint shops will be able to match most light colours, but the darker or richer the colour the harder it is for them to get a good match as these colours are usually mixed in a base so will be lighter when mixed into white..

So should I not post here again then?????:confused:

paddy147 wrote: »
    So should I not post here again then?????:confused:

If you have information you think is of some use to the op or anyone else reading then you should share the info or your opinion. But I don't think you need to back it up with references to your own house each time. You can like a paint colour (or anything else) without having to proof it by the fact its in your house. I like F&B's light gray and dulux's delicate willow but don't have either in my house, but what I have on the walls in my house is irrelevent to this thread..

Btw, if I wanted light gray I'd ask for a match made up in fleetwood extra plus and be confident enough it would be close enough.
    If i wanted delicate willow I might get it off the shelf depending on quantity

• Advertisement

If you have information you think is of some use to the op or anyone else reading then you should share the info or your opinion. But I don't think you need to back it up with references to your own house each time. You can like a paint colour (or anything else) without having to proof it by the fact its in your house. I like F&B's light gray and dulux's delicate willow but don't have either in my house, but what I have on the walls in my house is irrelevent to this thread..

Btw, if I wanted light gray I'd ask for a match made up in fleetwood extra plus and be confident enough it would be close enough.
    If i wanted delicate willow I might get it off the shelf depending on quantity

Wow,so because I said/posted that we used a grey from fleetwood trade centre in our bedroom and kitchen...you have an issue with that.

Im not using references at all or backing up anything.

I posted a post....and that was all I did.:)

But feel free to take issue with it.

Hi OP,

Mizzle by F&B is beautiful, we have done a few hallways lately and its very nice. More of a green than a grey however, but maybe worth a look. Also Hardwick White 5 is a lovely colour.

It's really trial and error, so hard to tell the light etc until you have the colour up on the walls, which is why tester pots are essential.

Hi OP,

Mizzle by F&B is beautiful, we have done a few hallways lately and its very nice. More of a green than a grey however, but maybe worth a look. Also Hardwick White 5 is a lovely colour.

It's really trial and error, so hard to tell the light etc until you have the colour up on the walls, which is why tester pots are essential.

Thats what we did as per your advice in the past.:)

Various tester pots/sample colours mixed up for us.

Some A4 sheets painted in the various colours.

Once dry we blu-taked them onto the walls in the various rooms throughout the house and into corners to see how they looked.

Looked at them in both sunlight,clouded skies and also at night under the room lights.

Good advice on the a4 colour charts.

And your completly right, colour changes so much depending on light, how many windows in the room, which direction the room is, north facing rooms can be terribly dark etc etc. Loads of things to take into consideration.

Good advice on the a4 colour charts.

And your completly right, colour changes so much depending on light, how many windows in the room, which direction the room is, north facing rooms can be terribly dark etc etc. Loads of things to take into consideration.

Well its us who owe you a big "thankyou" for the original good advice.

So thankyou.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Elottois

OP - we painted our entire new build interior in Dulux's Blushed Chalk with wood work in Dulux Pale Shale.
    I matched it against the Farrow & Ball colour chart. As we couldn't afford F&B in our budget.
    It's an amazing colour that has fetched many a compliment. It is not a stark colour and has a warmer tone, compared to some greys. It changes shade, particularly in darker sections of the house. It also works very well as a backdrop for any colour scheme, it tones in well with our green kitchen and our black leather suite in our living room and aubergine couch in our study, it's very versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AgathaC

We chose Red Earth from farrow and ball for our hallway and really like it, really catches the sun when it comes in. Wouldn't be a big fan of grey myself.
    We got some tester pots first, I thought checking colour options with tester pots was common knowledge but would definitely recommend it.
    You can also buy A4 sheets with a colour already on them, saves you messing about painting sheets of paper and waiting for them to dry and they're cheaper than the pots if your intention is to use the pots to paint A4 sheets.

AgathaC wrote: »
    We chose Red Earth from farrow and ball for our hallway and really like it, really catches the sun when it comes in. Wouldn't be a big fan of grey myself.
    We got some tester pots first, I thought checking colour options with tester pots was common knowledge but would definitely recommend it.
    You can also buy A4 sheets with a colour already on them, saves you messing about painting sheets of paper and waiting for them to dry and they're cheaper than the pots if your intention is to use the pots to paint A4 sheets.

Dry in 15 minutes and its a great way to include the kids and make them feel part of the process too.:):D

But thats just how we did/do things...everyone was/is included and no one was/is left out.:)

But the pre painted A4 cards can be handy allright,if involving the kids isnt your thing,or you just want a paint free decision made right there and then.

Everyone has their own way,sure thats how the world works.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

That paint dries nothing like the one in pic before you go spending a few quid on it. French grey is 100% green :eek: i have it on a wall myself. Nice colour but nothing like your pic.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Having just read through this thread. I have to say I didn't read Paddy 147's comment as an insult or an attack on you.

I think you may be reading slightly further into a simple post.

Who doesn't love paddy and his pics :p:D

As for referencing his own home as I posted a minute ago sometimes folks post on things that look entirely different in reality so it's nice to see an actual pic and recommendation.

Thanks.:)

• Advertisement

To the Original Poster......

Best of luck with it

Hope it turns out well for you,and as long as you are happy,then thats all that matters..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

My tip for picking shades is to try out with the tester pots and put blocks of colour on a large piece of hardboard or cardboard then it is easy to move around a room to see how colour behaves in different locations, different times of day and with different levels of artificial lighting. So many variables even see how it goes with furniture/carpet/flooring/curtains. I once chose red for my hall but it was a disaster as northfacing and the colour that looked so cheerfull in the pot was actually brown and dull when on the walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Hi Op, what colour carpet are you choosing to in your halfway and stairs to match this colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Paddy - Agatha cut it out!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

***Mod Note***

Ok, great way to waste a 1/2 reading over this school yard material. We have the usual suspects and a few more to join in.

As per the charter, don't drag threads off topic, don't be uncivil and don't personally abuse a poster. 2 bans and and infraction received and Paddy and DublinDIYGuy I honestly at this stage don't care how much you add to this forum but continue as I have said in the PM's and you won't post on here.

AgathaC - relax a little, you seem to have taken mortal insult to a post and then set fire to it and thrown it back. If you wish to continue to post on here then read the charter and understand it. The next ban will be permanent.

Anyone else who feel they will to stick their oar into this or any other school ground spat like this, walk away.

Regards
    The Mods

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    That paint dries nothing like the one in pic before you go spending a few quid on it. French grey is 100% green :eek: i have it on a wall myself. Nice colour but nothing like your pic.

Yeah thats what i'm saying. To one person me, it looks similar if not exact as the OP's colour, but to another you, it looks miles off. It never ceases to amaze me how people see different things when colour is involved.

Plus there is a few different French Grays/Greys it can be confusing to us . But i would of bet that it was F&B French Grey, the next person says no,

As everyone says, testers are the way to go.:)

As everyone says, testers are the way to go.:)

They sure are.

For the sake of a few extra euro......some testers and sheets of A4 paper is well worth doing.:)

Hi Op, what colour carpet are you choosing to in your halfway and stairs to match this colour?

We are putting in tiles, grey, black & white - kind of Victorian in style

aquarius10 wrote: »
    We are putting in tiles, grey, black & white - kind of Victorian in style

Sounds nice and interesting.:)

This might be of interest to you.

Ideal Home Show in the RDS next weekend.

http://www.idealhome.ie/

There is usuially 1 or 2 of the large paint companies displaying there and you might be able to get sampler pots as freebies (Igot some freebis last year).

Heres some free tickets to the show too.:)

http://www.idealhome.ie/free-ticket-registration/

• Advertisement

I have tested the fleet wood match to F&B French grey and its very green - it does not look like the colour I wanted in the picture. Anymore colour ideas to match the colour in the picture ?

Advertisement