Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Hairy mellon

Looks like nearly 30% of new self-builds may not happen in 2014

Due to implentation issues the 6 week delay period in this post may be underestimate:

The extraordinary cost of BC(A)R SI.9 of 2014 | BRegs Blog
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/the-extraordinary-cost-of-bcar-si-9-of-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Looks like nearly 30% of new self-builds may not happen in 2014

Due to implentation issues the 6 week delay period in this post may be underestimate:

The extraordinary cost of BC(A)R SI.9 of 2014 | BRegs Blog
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/the-extraordinary-cost-of-bcar-si-9-of-2014/

I could easily imagine €4-500 million being lost out on this year but I think it over eggs the pudding for it to be suggested that this happens every year for the next 6 years. In any case losing 5-6,000 jobs this year is definitely not acceptable. It's a bit of a shame the jobs and revenue argument wasn't at the forefront of the argument earlier.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i see Chubb insurance has withdrawn from underwriting PI insurance for architects in ireland.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i see Chubb insurance has withdrawn from underwriting PI insurance for architects in ireland.

Wow I didn't expect this. I had no problem getting PI.

Is there a link to this news?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just got this in the post this morning attached to a planning permission from South Dublin County Council.

As mentioned already, some of the information contained in this leaflet is simply incorrcet.

If the LA's/DoECLG cannot advise the public correctly...what hope have we! :mad:

• Advertisement

incorrect and contradictory. not helpful for anyone...

strongback wrote: »

is there a link to this?

strongback wrote: »

do you honestly expect a press release?

where did you find out info?

where did you find out info?

pm sent

• Advertisement

do you honestly expect a press release?

I expect when such a significant development is being reported it should have a source.

Have Chubb said they will not underwrite any architects in Ireland full stop or is this the response to one architectural practice. There is a big difference between the two.

Is this based on a telephone conversation to a broker?

pm sent

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

mullingar wrote: »
    Thats brilliant in such an Irish way.
    Preferably? Are they suggesting that its NOT mandatory and a self-builder can technically assign him/herself?
    Ok, as a self builder I must still nominate an Assigned Certifier and I can sign the Undertaking by Builder document.
    Interesting interpretation of the legislation by the Coco.
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just got this in the post this morning attached to a planning permission from South Dublin County Council.
    As mentioned already, some of the information contained in this leaflet is simply incorrcet.
    If the LA's/DoECLG cannot advise the public correctly...what hope have we! :mad:
    anyone commented Louth coco on document?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BryanF wrote: »
    anyone commented Louth coco on document?

This is not a Louth CC document. This is published by DoECLG!!! Makes it significantly worse/more annoying!

usually at this stage we see 'leaked' documentation from government to LA's on how to implement new regulations.

To date there has been none leaked, none that ive seen anyway.
    With the implementation date only 2 weeks away surely the DOE have instructed BCOs on how to implement the regs.

That would / should give a fairly definitive view as to the whole "self builder / builder certifier" question.

looking at that 'public guidance' in more detail... it seems pretty clear to me that the Department deem it ok that a novice unregistered 'self builder' can nominate themselves as the 'certifying builder'....

which is completely at odds with SI9 AND the Code of practise.

again i say, what a clusterfcuk !!!!!!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    This is not a Louth CC document. This is published by DoECLG!!! Makes it significantly worse/more annoying!

:confused:

clusterfcuk

That nicely sums it up. 11 working days to go! :p....:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

usually at this stage we see 'leaked' documentation from government to LA's on how to implement new regulations.

To date there has been none leaked, none that ive seen anyway.
    With the implementation date only 2 weeks away surely the DOE have instructed BCOs on how to implement the regs.

That would / should give a fairly definitive view as to the whole "self builder / builder certifier" question.

that would only work the Government actually gave the LA some documentation! None so far.

kceire wrote: »
    that would only work the Government actually gave the LA some documentation! None so far.

So, there we have it

Incorrect guidance issues to local authorities for curculation to public.

Implementation will be an unholy mess

No mention of residential extensions that require planning under 40sqm- one would assume reading the regs this will be qualitying work also coming inder si9...

• Advertisement

No mention of residential extensions that require planning under 40sqm- one would assume reading the regs this will be qualitying work also coming inder si9...

Well...we know that bit. Extensions under 40m.sq. (planning required or no planning required) are exempt from SI 9 and have always been since the inception of the proposed regulations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They are SI9 exempt.
    its in all the guidance documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The worrying thing about the guidance document is that it seems to agree with the explanation given by minister Hogan a few weeks ago. It would lead me to question whether the CIRI registration proposal is now necessary or relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

I'll show my age and say it's like when Pamela Ewing discovered that Bobbys' death was just a dream...

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

4Sticks wrote: »
    I'll show my age and say it's like when Pamela Ewing discovered that Bobbys' death was just a dream...

I dunno, I think the way this country has gone its more of a nightmare that a dream, but I acknowledge its a dream for some.;)

back to discussion on BCA please!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So into the future where every house will have a file held by the bca with the various certs etc. How does one go about regularising a property that for whatever reason was non compliant.

mickdw wrote: »
    So into the future where every house will have a file held by the bca with the various certs etc. How does one go about regularising a property that for whatever reason was non compliant.

You can't. There is no facility to under these regs. If you are the home owner you could find yourself at "the long arm of the law"

• Advertisement

Sys explain a bit more on this, please.

is it not just a retention application and submission of an 'as-built' dwg to the LA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement