Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of pregnancy?

Options
  • 07-04-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any of you have been like me? I am in my late 20s and lately have been feeling very broody. My main problem is the thought of pregnancy scares the life out of me. I am afraid of hospitals and needles and have never had to have been in a hospital. I am afraid that I will leave it to late because of my fear of child birth and fear of something going wrong before ( I've have friends who have had miscarriage and one still born :( ) I'm also on the pill along time and have been paranoid that this could affect my ability to have kids in the future

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Just wondering if any of you have been like me? I am in my late 20s and lately have been feeling very broody. My main problem is the thought of pregnancy scares the life out of me. I am afraid of hospitals and needles and have never had to have been in a hospital. I am afraid that I will leave it to late because of my fear of child birth and fear of something going wrong before ( I've have friends who have had miscarriage and one still born :( ) I'm also on the pill along time and have been paranoid that this could affect my ability to have kids in the future

Hi autumnbelle

I think the worries you're having are all natural. I am 27 and due my first baby this week. Personally I found the thoughts of pregnancy quite scary and actually being pregnant even scarier but the thought of not having a child or giving my husband a child was even scarier.

I find the most important thing during my pregnancy was a good support network, you will have freak out moments and worries but having a supportive partner, parents, family, friends and a good GP makes all the difference. Looking back I was probably a nightmare during the first trimester as I was so scared of misscarriage but my husband and Mum were great and helped keep me calm. I remember a friend of mine telling me then and before the 20week scan no matter what happens you will cope, it will be hard but you will cope with it and come out the other side, luckily all has been good for us so far. Now as due date approaches worries have changed but any questions I have my consultant is happy to answer and the ladies on this board are just brilliant and happy to share their advice and experiences. Sometimes I have to remind myself to take a deep breath ;)

I don't personally know anyone who has flown through their pregnancy, it's different and difficult for each person and some cope differently to others but those little (and big!!) kicks and scan pics really make it all so worth it and the thoughts of meeting your little one keep you going.

I would advise maybe to talk to your GP re the pill and your fears. I know some people have no problems conceiving after coming off it and for others the pill might mask some problems they have. I was on and off it for years due to pcos and had no problems after coming off it.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, don't feel you're alone though xo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I really think pregnancy is an impossible concept until you're actually pregnant. Some changes happen quickly but others are slow and you have loads of time to adjust to them.
    If you're nervous of hospitals a home birth might be worth considering. You'd be in an environment you're comfortable in.
    Needles would be blood tests at the start, but I can't think of any other time I had needles during pregnancy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is normal:)
    I have 3,love having the bump but hate pregnancy,childbirth isn't pleasant but at least for me it was extremely quick but that is what made it unpleasant too ,lol
    It is not pleasant but soo worth it for the gorgeous babies.
    Do not htink about it too much and jsut wait and see what happens:)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I'm also on the pill along time and have been paranoid that this could affect my ability to have kids in the future

Try not to worry too much about this part, I went on the pill when I was 17 and only came off it when I was 28, got pregnant 3 months later :) I'm nearly 4 months now, and pregnancy is treating me well so far, it's just the thought of giving birth that terrifies me :p I'm trying not to think about it too much! I'm also starting pregnancy yoga next month which is supposed to help during labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Try not to worry too much about this part, I went on the pill when I was 17 and only came off it when I was 28, got pregnant 3 months later :) I'm nearly 4 months now, and pregnancy is treating me well so far, it's just the thought of giving birth that terrifies me :p I'm trying not to think about it too much! I'm also starting pregnancy yoga next month which is supposed to help during labour!

I was exact same as this. I don't think the pill will affect it but do allow yourself a good few months for your cycle to settle down and remember that even the healthiest & fertile couples can take a couple years to fall pregnant.

I had a homebirth but more importantly the midwife came to me for all my visits and was extremely good at chilling me out on all my worries.

Also pregnancy yoga was fantastic. I'd look into this and maybe contacting a doula for support??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Pregnancy doesn't have to be very medical. There's only maybe one blood test, and most of the other appointments just involve blood pressure and other non-invasive stuff. You could have a home birth, and if you're with the community midwives you don't even need to see a doctor in hospital. Presuming things go normally, as they normally do, it's perfectly doable. And this is me speaking as someone who is terrified of pain and of hospitals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Thanks so much for everyone's replies :) I think I way over analyse it!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

It's normal to overanalyze things- everything is scary if you think about it too much! Remember, it will all go bit by bit, baby steps as they say...it's not as if all of a sudden you'll get pregnant and immediately people will start waving needles around you and so on. You only need to give blood a couple of times and that doesn't even hurt. Most of the tests are normal things you'd do at the doctor anyway...giving in urine samples and so on. The midwives are lovely!

The best part of being pregnant so far is having such good news to tell people. Everyone has been so happy and excited for us! It's lovely! I like feeling the baby inside me, feeling it move around. The scans are fun, when you try and see how the baby looks, if it's more like me or my husband, then thinking about the birth, is it a girl or boy....what sort of name will you give them...

Think, above all, of your own life and all the things you've done in it, all the joyful moments you've experienced, all the close friends and family you have, standing at the beach with the water lapping at your toes....you're giving your child this gift of life, such an unparalleled gift. They too will grow up, go to school, university, get married, have children of their own...then you'll have grandchildren. Life is long, but so beautiful.

Advertisement