Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who ya got, and why?

Options
  • 06-04-2013 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been done before, a quick look didn't show up anything.

A simple question really, what team do you support, and is there any particular reason?

Me, I'm an Orioles fan. Reasons are numerous:
    -wanted an East coast team so there is a chance of seeing games at a reasonable time.
    - wanted a team with a history.
    - didn't want the Yankees or Red Sox!
    - saw them play in my first (and only) game I got to attend.

Been watching their results for about 10 years and showing an active interest for about 5, which made last year a nice change from the norm :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Blue Jays.

I was born and reared in Hamilton, Ont. before moving to Ireland as a boy of 10. Dad was a big Red Sox fan, simply because growing up he had no MLB team to support in his locality (Southern Ontario) and being of an Irish background I suppose he figured on Boston. But he started taking me to see games in Toronto in the late 70s after the club was formed and I've been a Jays fan ever since. In a way I'm glad to say I've seen them play at both Exhibition stadium and the Skydome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mets

Two part story. Firstly, when I was a kid (around 87-88) my Dad went on a business trip to NY and was taken to a game at Shea and he brought me back a t-shirt, hat and yearbook so there I was walking around Dublin looking like a Mets fan without knowing anything about the game or the team.

Fast forward to 2005 and I spent 2 weeks in California and every bar/restaurant we went into seemed to have games on the TVs which I got drawn to. Also I take 5 minutes to get ready whereas my girlfriend (wife now) took ages so I usually had an hour to kill before we went out in the evenings and while flicking through the channels I always seemed to stop on the baseball. So coming home from that holiday I was hooked. I didn't have MLB.TV or NASN but I kept up with scores and stuff over the internet for the rest of that season.

When the 2006 season came around I subscribed to NASN so was all set and my childhood link with the Mets kind of made it that I had to follow them. And now I'm stuck with them. I always think to myself, look how easier it would have been Dad had been taken to Yankee Stadium!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Red Sox. Was in college in Boston. Got introduced to Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz at an event in the city that a friend was putting on. I had no idea who they were. Everybody else in the place knew and seemed in awe of them so put 2 and 2 together and figured they were a big deal. Started watching games to see what all the fuss was about. Red Sox go on to win the World Series that year. I'm hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

The Cubbies.

J1 to Chicago. Living a few stops from Addison so eneded up watching the Cubs. Day games and proximity really.
    Went to a White Sox game as well, but they were really far away.

Also like Red Sox after working there for 6 months during 2004, a successful year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Similar story to smackbunnybaby

Red Sox

Did my J1 in Boston in 2003. Lived walking distance from Fenway and got to go to a few games during the summer. Loved the atmosphere and the team.
    Then watching the games on NESN in the evening with a few beers, loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Seems to be a J1 theme emerging here. I did a J1 in SF about 8 years ago and went to see 7 or 8 Giants games during the summer. Continued following when I got home and ever since. I won't lie, 2 World series in the mean time has helped me maintain a strong interest.

I'm liking this thread. Cool to hear how everyone got into the game and ended up following their team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Orioles, Was in Scotland for a wedding and the night after the wedding came back to the hotel blotto. Turned on the tv in the room and baseball was on. Orioles v Rangers. Orioles beat rangers and being a Celtic football fan decided Orioles were my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Cool to hear how everyone got into the game and ended up following their team.
    ken wrote: »
    Orioles beat rangers and being a Celtic football fan decided Orioles were my team.

That's lame man. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I was after being on a bender. It made perfect sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mets,

Went on a trip as a 16 year old to New York and was brought to shea on one of the days. I can even remember the game, mets beat the O's 11-3 that day and can remember being facinated by a Mike Piazza Home Run. I subsequently went out the next day and spent the remainder of my money on a jersey and Cap, been following them online ever since and the last few years ive been a subscriber to MLB.tv

I am going over for a week to NYC this year and will be taking my first trip to Citi for my 30th Birthday.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Padres.

J1 (shocker) in San Diego back in 2006 when the Padres had an exciting team. I even managed to get a few days work in Petco Park. Didn't meet anyone of particular importance.

Now I'm stuck with a west coast team that haven't been in the playoffs since I was over there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Moved to the US in 2010.....wife is a Cincinnati native......nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Red Sox, because of family out there. When I stayed with them they trained me into supporting them. It was only when I got home I appreciated the game truly though, only got to a Cape Cod league game when I was over there - still pretty cool, wish I kept the lineups sheet though to see if any of them have been drafted or whatever...

UCD AFC wrote: »
    only got to a Cape Cod league game when I was over there - still pretty cool, wish I kept the lineups sheet though to see if any of them have been drafted or whatever...

I know what you mean. The first ever baseball game i attended was in the Hawaii Winter League game back in November '08 and a match up featuring the Waikiki Beachboys and the Honolulu Sharks!

Looking back at the lineups from the night, Buster Posey was catcher for the Beachboys and others who played that night that have made it to the Majors since are Ruben Tejada (Mets), Dominic Brown (Phillies), Todd Frazier (Reds) and Tony Cruz (Cardinals). Of course I hadn't a clue who any of them were but it's nice to be able to say i saw Buster Posey play before he made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Yankees.

My summers have been spent with relatives in New York, as a holiday and eventually as a working trip, since the age of 13 (I'm 21 now). The 4 Train past the then old Yankee Stadium was my way home from my Summer Job and I would always try to peer in from the train in the hope of catching a glimpse of a game going on, normally with not much success but it was all I needed to stir my interest. Being a "Glory Hunter" fan was nothing got to with it, if I had to take the 7 Train home I would be a Mets fan. I was saved I guess as supporting Liverpool is enough heartache for one man to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Red Sox

Another J1 story, this time from 2001. We lived in an apartment on Boylston street, could actually see one small corner of the pitch from our roof but had great view of the replays on the big tv :). So close that we could hear the roar after a home run while shooting the breeze in our place. I still wear a Nomar tee shirt I picked up while over there!!
    Had ESPN America for last series victory in Colorado, match report on yahoo.com is first thing I check each morning at work once the computer is warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Red Sox here as well. I lived near Boston in the early 90's. After I came home it was difficult to keep up with what was happening. I gave up altogether in 2002, and got back into it in 2009.

Yeah, I know. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I went to a Mets game while in NY a few weeks ago, I've never had any interest in baseball before but have to say i thought it was great (i don't think it was even a particularly exceptional game, they beat the Rockies 3-2). I'm going to try and follow it as much as I can from now on, let's go Mets!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johnny_Trotter

Started watching MLB on ESPN America, and organised a trip to New York/Washington a few months ago. I wanted to tie in a baseball game, and the only one that fit the schedule was the Mets. I saw Matt Harvey pitch a one-hitter against the White Sox, as the Mets won 1-0. They were on a brutal run at the time and won something like 2 from 15, but I was glad to see one of those, and also to see Harvey show his skills.

Citifield was nice enough, but only a little over half full, so not much of an atmosphere, and the constant planes overhead from La Guardia seemed a bit off-putting. I did come back with a Mets baseball, and a blue and orange NY baseball cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭boccy23

On the Football forum, there is a thread which gives people a chance to explain their choice of team. I think it might also be a good idea for this forum.

Team: Arizona Diamondbacks

Reason: Had been into Football first (1984) but never had a baseball team. So when I went to Phoenix to visit my cousins, we went to see the Dbacks play. It was against Barry Bonds and the SF Giants. Got hooked and they have been my team since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

J1 2003 - Chicago Cubs. The Bartman Year :-)

Also a Summer in Boston in 2004, so a Red Sox fan as well. 2004, the year they won.

I tend to be a lucky charm to extent*

*The Cubs should have gone all the way :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Benimar wrote: »

Threads merged. I liked this the first time around so hopefully we'll get some more good stories.

Reds

Had a passing interest in baseball, but then met a Cinci girl in UL.......married and moved here and now I'm obsessed.

PS.....it also helped win over her dad

Reds

Had a passing interest in baseball, but then met a Cinci girl in UL.......married and moved here and now I'm obsessed.

PS.....it also helped win over her dad

Is she a fan? My wife won't ever entertain the idea of watching a game. Only been to 1 together and she really hated it.

8-10 wrote: »
    Is she a fan? My wife won't ever entertain the idea of watching a game. Only been to 1 together and she really hated it.

Big fan.....we're season ticket holders

Big fan.....we're season ticket holders

Living the dream! ;)

8-10 wrote: »
    Living the dream! ;)

Happiness is.......a wife who likes baseball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Yankees

Ive family over in New Jersey and New York City, they sent me home Baseball magazines many a year ago.
    Also included a yankees history annual. That got me hooked and ive been a massive fan for around 20 years.

Advertisement