Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors reject abortion motions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

SB2013 wrote: »
    May for a lot of people that's what they base their belief on. But there are many people who believe this without being religious.

I am not talking about how people justify their beliefs....in subscribing to that belief they are subscribing to one that is heavily influenced by religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It does though, whether you know it or not the stance that life begins at conception is steeped in religious influence.
    Not really, conception is the point at which a genetically unique individual is created. This isn't arbitrary, but fact.

The debate should be more centred on whether ending the life matters rather than whether it actually is a life in my opinion. Also, it's important to remember that newly fertilised eggs aren't (usually) aborted, an abortion usually happens to a far more developed individual. The presence/lack of a heartbeat can be discounted as any abortion occurring at greater than three weeks (pretty much all of them) stops a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

robman60 wrote: »
    Not really, conception is the point at which a genetically unique individual is created. This isn't arbitrary, but fact.

What about doppelgängers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

SB2013 wrote: »
    So you have no issue with abortions performed in month 8 of a pregnancy? After all, it's not a baby. I'm not sure why you think it's your place to make light of an extremely complicated issue when you yourself have no knowledge of the subject and can't even come up with a position to take.

And it's got nothing to do with religion.

I never said that. I said after week 20 it starts to become viable. Where did I say 8 months. Of course, you have an argument taht you can't win, so you'rte sticking words in my mouth.

If the baby is viable, then of course efforts should be made. But if it's not, there shouldn't. And eitherway, the mothers life is the most important and it should be her decision what happens, not a doctors religious belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Seachmall wrote: »
    What about doppelgängers?

:confused:

The fictional paranormal creatures?

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I never said that. I said after week 20 it starts to become viable. Where did I say 8 months. Of course, you have an argument taht you can't win, so you'rte sticking words in my mouth.

If the baby is viable, then of course efforts should be made. But if it's not, there shouldn't. And eitherway, the mothers life is the most important and it should be her decision what happens, not a doctors religious belief.

I think the poster misinterpreted you saying that a week before birth, it's a baby, not considering that you intended that it's a baby earlier too.

I don't think anyone's disputing that the mother's life should be prioritised, but the dispute is at what cost? If she's dying and needs medical intervention, that should be provided, even if it means her child can't be saved. It's a completely different story if she's 17 weeks pregnant and has an elective abortion. I don't see where the confusion is. One situation, she's in physical danger, the other she's not.

:confused:

The fictional paranormal creatures?

No, the idea that because we've a finite amount of DNA with a finite amount of possible combinations but there's an infinite potential in creating life there exists the possibility of two genetically identical, but otherwise unrelated, individuals being born.

I heard it in CSI once.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah I should have clarified. The idea that human life begins at conception is a religious belief, conception is the point at which organic life begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What about Identical twins?

The zygote splits into two individual zygotes some time after conception (1 - 9 days later). Are the infants which may eventually result two "unique individuals" or one divided one?

What about Chimeras?

This is when a set of twin zygotes fuse in the womb and only one infant is eventually born, though that infant may express the DNA of two "unique individuals" in different parts of their body.

Facts are surprising flexible when you looks beyond black and white statements and focus on the details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭Ecce_Agnus_Dei

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yeah I should have clarified. The idea that human life begins at conception is a religious belief, conception is the point at which organic life begins.

Incorrect. Many atheists (as well as religious) argue that to be on the safe side (we don't know how or why life is created), we should give the unborn the benefit of the doubt from conception. This is a morally sound position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Incorrect. Many atheists (as well as religious) argue that to be on the safe side (we don't know how or why life is created), we should give the unborn the benefit of the doubt from conception. This is a morally sound position.

A totally impartial viewpoint from new user "Behold the lamb of god".

Hmm....

B0jangles wrote: »
    What about Identical twins?

The zygote splits into two individual zygotes some time after conception (1 - 9 days later). Are the infants which may eventually result two "unique individuals" or one divided one?

What about Chimeras?

This is when a set of twin zygotes fuse in the womb and only one infant is eventually born, though that infant may express the DNA of two "unique individuals" in different parts of their body.

Facts are surprising flexible when you looks beyond black and white statements and focus on the details.

The point at which the zygote splits is when the second entity forms, so two individuals. As far as I know, they acquire genetic uniqueness during foetal development.

I only recently read about chimeras. They are a single entity, so a single life as far as I can see.

My earlier point about life beginning at conception was merely countering a previous poster who said life beginning at conception is "steeped in religious significance". I pointed out that this argument has scientific merit too.

Although the when life begins question is somewhat subjective (far less than people seem to say in my opinion), it seems far more logical to say conception or the point at which the heart begins to beat than the simplistic answers of birth or viability.

B0jangles wrote: »
    A totally impartial viewpoint from new user "Behold the lamb of god".

Hmm....

What's an "impartial" viewpoint? This idea of "balance" is a form of intellectual tyranny.

Anyway, are you denying that there are pro-life atheists?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

someone wasn't paying attention in sex ed. class :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm guessing the dinosaurs who voted no are from a time before access to education wasn't widened and wouldn't be what you would call gifted.

Not being willing to perform abortions on women who have been raped makes these highly sick individuals. I'm also wondering would this go against their Hippocratic oath if they took it.

it seems far more logical to say conception or the point at which the heart begins to beat than the simplistic answers of birth or viability.
    "At conception" is just as logical as any arbitrary point between then and birth.

The only logical response is "we do not know".

Some can take that and decide to err on the side of caution, others can take a more philisophical approach regarding when (or if) abortion should be allowed.

But all they ultimately are are personal opinions. Nothing more.

Crasp wrote: »
    someone wasn't paying attention in sex ed. class :pac:

Nobody knows how life is made. Scientists can observe what happens at a certain scale, but they cannot describe the precise mechanism nor can they explain why (anyway, it's not their job to answer the whys of life). There are a myriad of things that scientists cannot explain no matter how advanced those who inhabit the present think they are.

I can tell you for certain though that I didn't create myself. I can also tell you for certain that "Science" didn't create me.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

This position ignores the pregnant person who there is no doubt is alive and can suffer, so no, I don't consider it that morally sound.

Cosmicfox wrote: »
    This position ignores the pregnant person who there is no doubt is alive and can suffer, so no, I don't consider it that morally sound.

Incorrect.

I can tell you a personal story: that of my mother, who nearly died giving birth to a sister. Her greatest concern at the time (as is that of most mothers in touch with their maternal instinct) was the welfare of my sister and not of herself.

Incorrect.

I can tell you a personal story: that of my mother, who nearly died giving birth to a sister. Her greatest concern at the time (as is that of most mothers in touch with their maternal instinct) was the welfare of my sister and not of herself.

I don't understand.

What has your mother giving birth to a baby she clearly wanted have to do with abortion and women who do not want to be pregnant?

Let's not forget that mothers have abortions too.

• Advertisement

Cosmicfox wrote: »
    I don't understand.

What has your mother giving birth to a baby she clearly wanted have to do with abortion and women who do not want to be pregnant?

Let's not forget that mothers have abortions too.

Look. If you think the whole moral house of cards is going to fall down because you claim to know better than Catholic teaching on abortion (not to mention qualified healthcare professionals); knock yourself out.

Incorrect.

I don't think anyone has suggested abortions should be performed whilst the mother is giving birth.

If the decision is between a foetus (who's classification as a living human is up for debate) and the mother the only morally sound decision is to prioritise the mother and demand evidence from those claiming the foetus to be a living human and claiming it should be prioritised equally as the burden of proof rests upon them.

Look. If you think the whole moral house of cards is going to fall down because you claim to know better than Catholic teaching on abortion (not to mention qualified healthcare professionals); knock yourself out.

I haven't even mentioned Catholics or anything to do with religion. Or even anything about healthcare. All I said is that your 'morally sound' position ignored the pregnant woman and then you told me some story about your mother giving birth.

Nobody knows how life is made. Scientists can observe what happens at a certain scale, but they cannot describe the precise mechanism nor can they explain why (anyway, it's not their job to answer the whys of life). There are a myriad of things that scientists cannot explain no matter how advanced those who inhabit the present think they are.

I can tell you for certain though that I didn't create myself. I can also tell you for certain that "Science" didn't create me.

I suggest you pick up an embryology book and read all about it. It's actually pretty basic science and I believe it is even taught at leaving cert level.

There is little ambiguity about this particular topic. While I take the literature at face value, I'm sure the experimental evidence is there to support these claims if I decided to look deeper.

I think you have some confounded, higher meaning of "life" than simple cellular physiology.

I don't think anyone has suggested abortions should be performed whilst the mother is giving birth.

If the decision is between a foetus (who's classification as a living human is up for debate) and the mother the only morally sound decision is to prioritise the mother and demand evidence from those claiming the foetus to be a living human and claiming it should be prioritised equally as the burden of proof rests upon them.

Same goes for you: If you want to try and pick holes in Catholic teaching in the hope that a dam is going to come crumbling down; I'll leave you to it. You'll be a long time chipping.

Same goes for you: If you want to try and pick holes in Catholic teaching in the hope that a dam is going to come crumbling down; I'll leave you to it. You'll be a long time chipping.

What the hell does my post have to do with Catholic teaching?

I suggest you pick up an embryology book and read all about it. It's actually pretty basic science and I believe it is even taught at leaving cert level.
    How naive and nonchalant of you.

How naive and nonchalant of you.

If I may, have you ever actually studied the modern scientific explanations behind conception? Or simply denounced them?

What the hell does my post have to do with Catholic teaching?

I'll spell it out for you:

My position is grounded in Catholic teaching. You could be making up your position as you go along for all I know/care. I doubt you have put as much time, thought and effort into the moral issue surrounding abortion as the church have. Will your non-authoritative opinions on women's and babies' health be around after you die? I doubt it. I know this is a "democracy" where everyone is trained to have 'an opinion' from a very young age, but unluckily for you, someone forgot to teach you that some opinions are more useful than others.

• Advertisement

If I may, have you ever actually studied the modern scientific explanations behind conception?

Stop the press! I think you've got us there!

Advertisement