Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could go back in time and re-do college.

Options
  • 05-04-2013 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

If, somehow, you were magically transported to the beginning of first year, what would you do differently for the 3/ 4 years spent there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

ozzz wrote: »
    If, somehow, you were magically transported to the beginning of first year, what would you do differently for the 3/ 4 years spent there?

If you think you've taken the wrong path, its ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I'd tell Samantha Malone how I really felt about her.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Right. 3-4 years is a lot of time in anyones life.
    Is there something you would have prefered to be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Na I'm just curious as to what people would have done differently. Anything really

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭MooShop

Why go back in time? No point regretting what is already done.

Plenty of opportunities these days for people to go back to college and take a different path, no excuses really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Have less fun

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Not bother finishing my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I either would have done the degree in marine engineering I originally applied for.

Or I would have love to have done something in medicine. But probably the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Make more time for the genuine people and have less for the drinking crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's like anything, I'd have worried less knowing what I know now and I'd have enjoyed the ride a bit more.

But I look at my life today and I still worry about a lot of stuff. I'm sure in 20 years I'll look back and think "If I could go back to 2013, I'd worry less. It all worked out okay in the end."

Human nature I guess, everything looks utopic in retropspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Therapy session once a week, including the holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

While I do love the choices I've made & the opportunities that have arisen for me because of them. But if I was doing a do-over I'd do medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Dump my girlfriend who after 4 years of college dumped me.
    :mad:

Mechanical Engineering - but life had other plans. I may still do it though, just for fun like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Pharmacy and Karen Somethingorother, I'd definitely do her.

Mechanical Engineering - but life had other plans. I may still do it though, just for fun like.

Funny when I started college mechanical was viewed as the toughest discipline to land a job with and civil was the easiest. Now its the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Early Childhood Studies instead of Arts. Wouldn't have ended up working in Financial Services with that degree! And probably would have studied more as subject matter was more interesting than what I had chosen in Arts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I wouldn't have a job right now but Id become an Architect instead of what im doing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I would have put my grant money in to Apple Shares, Nokia shares and invested in Riverdance.

Funny when I started college mechanical was viewed as the toughest discipline to land a job with and civil was the easiest. Now its the opposite

I went to a [sarcasm] lovely [/sarcasm] all girls school, they strongly discouraged any of those manly careers! Shocking now to think of it, they made life difficult by only putting languages on during Physics/Chemistry, so if you did science, you couldn't do a language!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Science or engineering and NOT arts!

I went to a [sarcasm] lovely [/sarcasm] all girls school, they strongly discouraged any of those manly careers! Shocking now to think of it, they made life difficult by only putting languages on during Physics/Chemistry, so if you did science, you couldn't do a language!

Was like that in my sisters lovely school. Until one of the chicks stood up and said somethin bout it. But the manly engineers came up with the genius idea to combine our nights out with the first year nurses. All balance was restored to the universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

neaideabh wrote: »
    Science or engineering and NOT arts!

Ouch arts, I feel sorry for you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd do medicine. And move out of home. Having lived in Galway where we'd the University and the tech college (GMIT), pretty much everyone I knew lived at home during college (cheaper rent and only a ten minute bus trip to college). But you 'miss out on a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'd probably try and have more fun as all I did was work and study. Although if I had more fun I'd probably be here saying I should have done more work and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

I'd drink less and work harder .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'd do science rather than management, with an eye to going into research in evolutionary biology. And I'd probably rethink the decision to remain involved in college societies in final year.

sugarman wrote: »
    Anything BUT Engineering, not so much as a sniff of a job going... Yet everyone I know that done I.T around the same time are nearly all working for top companies
    Only for Civil. Chem Electronic and Mechanical the industry is screamin out for. I work in Engineering recruitment. Was a tough 3 or 4 years for them but it's all pretty good now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'd sleep around more. Or even just sleep around. All those hot young men who lusted after me.. Wasted!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Doylers wrote: »
    Ouch arts, I feel sorry for you :pac:

I have no regrets doing arts, It depends on what you do with it. I landed a full time job in financial services earning €35k(graduate scheme) before I even finished my last exam.I thought I was loaded at the time! Ive since done a postgrad in IT for obvious reasons though. The ones usually ripping on arts students (I dont mean you Doylers :pac:) are usually studying something so boring that nobody wants to talk to them about it.

Try asking a science student about centromeres or whatever. Youd want to deafen yourself with your own thumbs after 5 minutes :p

Advertisement