Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megabus. Rosslare -> UK / UK -> Europe for £1 Each Way.

Options
  • 03-04-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this on an Austrian Site, which redirected to a French Site, which Redirected to HUKD which Redirected to Holiday Pirates...
    Megabus.com currently has a sale (unadvertised) with seats for only £1/€1 on the entire route network for travel between May – October 2013.
    The booking fee is 50p per booking. If you book several travel at one time, you have to pay the booking fee just once.
    It’s surely not the most comfortable way to travel but the price is a stunner though: 1£/€1 for a one way ticket is really, really convenient. Another plus: 20 kg of baggage are included and you´ll be riding from city centre to city centre, whereas flying almost always means transfers, which usually cost extra.

I have been looking through it, and trying to find some good deals. I have found a couple of €1 to Paris from London, but using Ryanair, London was €40 on those dates and Paris was €41 :D, So it didn't make much difference in those cases (Flying from Ireland).

But i'd imagine that if somebody already has dates picked out, they may get a deal. Also may be able to work out dates that may suit better or for cheaper.

Anyway, plenty of digging to be done to find the best prices.

http://www.holidaypirates.com/others/megabus-sale-coach-tickets-1-london-paris-amsterdam

http://uk.megabus.com/default.aspx?accept=perm

Rosslare to London and Return on the 24th May - 31st May are £1 E/W.
    Could probably find another bus from London - Europe for £1 around those dates - - - -> Europe for £2.. :-D

2G8pHa8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I know it takes a stupidly long time to get anywhere but as I will be a broke ass newly non-student this summer, I am very interested. You can sleep on buses right?

Does this still sound too good to be true though?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

have used this service loads of times. Never any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bricky06 wrote: »
    I know it takes a stupidly long time to get anywhere but as I will be a broke ass newly non-student this summer, I am very interested. You can sleep on buses right?

Does this still sound too good to be true though?

I'm going to book one or two. Find out if any of my friends want to go.

Namely to the UK, as it's a free Ferry over.. a few drinks :) Stay the night somewhere decent (Maybe Cardiff), and back home.

Looking at France and Amsterdam too. But that may be a bit of a long haul..

I was thinking london then on to paris, to london is 13 hours, then after a few days there, 8 hours to paris.

£6.50 one way! pretty damn cheap!

bricky06 wrote: »
    I was thinking london then on to paris, to london is 13 hours, then after a few days there, 8 hours to paris.

£6.50 one way! pretty damn cheap!

Was thinking similar, looking at £2 to Paris in June after 2 days in London. :D
    £1 to London and £1 to Paris.
    Also cheap rail in France (Over 50% Cheaper) with this from July

http://www.idtgv.com/en/
    IDTGV ticket sales for the period between July 4 to August 25, 2013. starting April 4th!

This offer also applies from the normal site of the SNCF
    http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

For those who do not know, iDTGV tickets are booked online only, non-refundable, but over 50% cheaper than normal tickets ...

• Advertisement

is there a date you need to book the megabus before? or can you book all summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I can't find any dates when this is available for Rosslare to London HELP

Thewife wrote: »
    I can't find any dates when this is available for Rosslare to London HELP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

seems like theres only 1 seat per bus at 1 pound when i try book 2 the price goes up :(

jjbrien wrote: »
    seems like theres only 1 seat per bus at 1 pound when i try book 2 the price goes up :(

This promotion wasn't officially advertised anywhere, it's being done by word of web. But it seems to be spreading fast, so as it's not official, and as it's spreading so fast, they can change the terms at any times, or dates that suit them.

Some dates i found disappeared and others started showing £1, that previously weren't.

Best way to find any, is to pick a date, and hope for the best. Then go the day after/before and so on..

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    This promotion wasn't officially advertised anywhere, it's being done by word of web. But it seems to be spreading fast, so as it's not official, and as it's spreading so fast, they can change the terms at any times, or dates that suit them.

Some dates i found disappeared and others started showing £1, that previously weren't.

Best way to find any, is to pick a date, and hope for the best. Then go the day after/before and so on..

i found the 1 pound fairs but and then looked though 2 months there is only 1 quid fare per bus if u try do 2 then it comes up as 1 pound plus 25 for the second person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

People are saying that megabus dont advertise these low fares but they actually do....well I suppose going from ireland is slightly different

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Rosslare to London takes 13h 25m? That seems awfully long.

The ferry journey takes 3.5 hrs. When you get across the water the drive is about 250 miles.

Accounting generously for stops, check-in, etc. the entire trip should take, at most, 10 hours.

Do they go an odd route?

The ferry journey takes 3.5 hrs. When you get across the water the drive is about 250 miles.

Accounting generously for stops, check-in, etc. the entire trip should take, at most, 10 hours.

Do they go an odd route?

Ha ha.. Yeah i saw that and thought that was a long time..
    Rosslare to Pembroke takes 4 hours(ish) - Then Pembroke to London must be 9 hours.. :eek: on a coach.

But according to Google Maps should take 4 Hours and 11 Mins

I'm assuming they stop off in Cardiff, Swansea and/or other routes the MegaBus offers.

That's a verrrrrrrry long bus journey. They'd need fold out beds at least.
    I am still looking, but I'm looking at stopping somewhere for at least a night.

Or flying to London and getting the bus from there.

Looking at Stopping in Cardiff staying night, then on to London --> Sleep --> France if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Allyall wrote: »
    Ha ha.. Yeah i saw that and thought that was a long time..
    Rosslare to Pembroke takes 4 hours(ish) - Then Pembroke to London must be 9 hours.. :eek: on a coach.

But according to Google Maps should take 4 Hours and 11 Mins

I'm assuming they stop off in Cardiff, Swansea and/or other routes the MegaBus offers.

That's a verrrrrrrry long bus journey. They'd need fold out beds at least.
    I am still looking, but I'm looking at stopping somewhere for at least a night.

Or flying to London and getting the bus from there.

Looking at Stopping in Cardiff staying night, then on to London --> Sleep --> France if possible.

The Eurolines/Bus Eireann service on the same boat arrives in London at 8am. I am assuming the difference is made up by more stops and probably an 1 hour layover at one of the services.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360855226-Eurolines-Brochure.pdf

Don't know if I would fancy making that journey to London by ferry/coach (I did with my mum as a nipper a few times). Maybe people in Wexford/Waterford might find it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You guys are crazy, short haul I find 3 hours on a plane horrible .. never mind 13 hours on a bus.

I couldn't imagine a more tortuous thing to do :D

Imagine how rank the toilet would be with the bus moving all over the place and a bunch of people urinating all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Any cheapo recommendations for getting to Rosslare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Nice one OP, I'd actually seen the Holiday Pirates article but hadn't realised Megabus included Rosslare!

I had been looking for my mate in Sheffield and found trips to Paris and Amsterdam for him. I booked a journey I was going to fly to London in July, not 100% i'll use it, i'll pop it up for sale at face value here if I don't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Do they go an odd route?

Here is a breakdown, bus is just over 7 hours..

ROSSLARE, EUROPORT 20:15
    PEMBROKE DOCK, FERRY TERMINAL 00:46
    PEMBROKE DOCK, FERRY TERMINAL 02:45
    CARMARTHEN, BLUE ST 03:40
    SWANSEA, QUADRANT BUS STATION 04:30
    CARDIFF, KINGSWAY 05:30
    NEWPORT, THE RIVERFRONT 06:00
    BRISTOL, CITY CENTRE, COLSTON HALL 06:45
    BRISTOL UWE, UNIVERSITY OF WEST ENGLAND, NORTH GATE, FRENCHAY CAMPUS 06:55
    LONDON, VICTORIA COACH STATION 09:40

newportlad wrote: »
    Here is a breakdown, bus is just over 7 hours..

ROSSLARE, EUROPORT 20:15
    PEMBROKE DOCK, FERRY TERMINAL 00:46
    PEMBROKE DOCK, FERRY TERMINAL 02:45
    CARMARTHEN, BLUE ST 03:40
    SWANSEA, QUADRANT BUS STATION 04:30
    CARDIFF, KINGSWAY 05:30
    NEWPORT, THE RIVERFRONT 06:00
    BRISTOL, CITY CENTRE, COLSTON HALL 06:45
    BRISTOL UWE, UNIVERSITY OF WEST ENGLAND, NORTH GATE, FRENCHAY CAMPUS 06:55
    LONDON, VICTORIA COACH STATION 09:40

It 'detours' to Bristol. That explains the lengthy journey time. If your going to Wales or Bristol then fine but I reckon its just too much hassle for London with the other options available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cheapo booze daytrip to Pembroke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Seems a bit silly for it to wait for 2 hours in Pembroke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

1 hour wait in Fishguard too. Would be great if they could sync a train to the ferry arrival times.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Oh I like their trip from Rosslare to Manchester. Goes via London, 20 hours haha

Just looked up Bus Eireann and its €50 from where I am in Tralee to Rosslare Harbour return. Whereas the Eurolines from Tralee (or anywhere in Ireland) to the UK comes in at €60 return. So the moral of the story is that unless you live close to Rosslare you are not really going to benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

Stupid question but just to make sure I'm not missing anything, if you book Rosslare to the UK for £1, is there any extra charges for the ferry?

I've used Megabus last year from Birmingham airport to London for the Olympics, great service and saved me a fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Im going to book rosslare to cardiff for the end of this month as its a cheap way for me to go see a gig or two for the weekend on the cheap and I dont hold a passport.
    How do they undercut the ferry by so much? Who will you sail with if your departing from rosslare to cardiff?

• Advertisement

Well theres only 1 or 2 seats on each coach for the 1 pound fare. The rest all start at 19.50. To answer your question they pay Irish Ferries for a coach doesn't matter if 1 passenger travels or 50 Irish Ferries still get their money for the coach traveling on the boat. It is a lot cheaper than buying a foot passenger ticket with Irish Ferries direct i checked it out and it was 35 euro each way. I dont get why the ferry companies charge a lot now for a foot passenger used to be dirt cheap now Ryanair is cheaper than them.

I did the bus before from Dublin to London when I was 20 was ok back then but now id not do it again.

Advertisement