Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax no longer sending letters?

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

My tax is out at the end of this month, and I expected to get the usual reminder with the PIN to pay online in the post at some stage in the next few days. However, this morning I got an email from Motor Tax online with the PIN and a note to say that I wouldn't receive a renewal in the post. When was this brought in, does anyone know, I never heard it mentioned before? If this is the case, nice to see they're spending less on collection but still increasing the tax rates!! :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Strange, I got my letter in the door a few weeks ago for renewal this month.

Did you pick 'email' contact only when you did it online first?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Have they given up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

it's to do with cutting admin costs, about time as well, I was always losing the reminder letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I got the same email... which is sent to my work email even though I had registered my personal email when doing tax online. Its the first Ive heard of the no letter idea. My mother drove 40 miles to the tax office last month cos she didnt get a letter and doesnt use her email so didnt know this was the case. They never mentioned it to her at the tax office.

I would prefer a letter. WTF?! inform us of how to pay you please. If I had not been in work... sick/off/not working here anymore I never would have received this and like my mother probably would have assumed it was lost in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sadderday wrote: »
    I got the same email... which is sent to my work email even though I had registered my personal email when doing tax online. Its the first Ive heard of the no letter idea. My mother drove 40 miles to the tax office last month cos she didnt get a letter and doesnt use her email so didnt know this was the case. They never mentioned it to her at the tax office.

I would prefer a letter. WTF?! inform us of how to pay you please. If I had not been in work... sick/off/not working here anymore I never would have received this and like my mother probably would have assumed it was lost in the post.

Is it that hard to realise when a tax disc is near out of date?

• Advertisement

BX 19 wrote: »

No doll, but I can hardly guess a unique renewal pin

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Same here got mine via email today- its beacuse you checked the box for this

"By ticking this box you agree to receive correspondence relating to the payment of Motor Tax on this vehicle via electronic means should it become available in the future. More Information"

So it must have now be available!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

No doll, but I can hardly guess a unique renewal pin

Or then to check an email?

Same here got mine via email today- its beacuse you checked the box for this

"By ticking this box you agree to receive correspondence relating to the payment of Motor Tax on this vehicle via electronic means should it become available in the future. More Information"

So it must have now be available!!!

I unsubscribed to that email... so should get the letter next time round in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They just spam you with emails instead. I got three email reminders before the disc had even expired. Ill be removing the option to email me to prevent this from happening again; I dont need them reminding me on a weekly basis that my car tax is due...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If they are so bloody efficient then why dont they allow direct debit. Screams of lack of efficiency if you ask me.

Keeping unnecessary jobs for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Strange, I got my letter in the door a few weeks ago for renewal this month.

Did you pick 'email' contact only when you did it online first?

Not that I can remember. I've been renewing online for ages, used to always get the reminder in the post until now....
    She did realise it was out of date, that's why she drove to the tax office. I'm guessing the issue was she was expecting the PIN in the post to pay online and it wasn't sent, and she didn't see the email.

Even if you don't get an email - you can just request a pin online.

I would prefer not to be getting a reminder letter. It's a waste of money. Still though, I got one a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

listermint wrote: »
    If they are so bloody efficient then why dont they allow direct debit. Screams of lack of efficiency if you ask me.

Keeping unnecessary jobs for the sake of it.

Totally agree, still cant for the life of me understand why they dont do DD.

They can still charge fees for processing like the Insurance companies do and obtain a more frequent flow of cash from motor tax DD's.

Muppets!

Or then to check an email?

?? As I said we werent informed or updated accordingly when this amendment came into order therfore would not be expecting this email.

Some people do not have regular access to email or have changed their email or may not remember their password or whatever...

If they had circulated the intention of amendment prior to implementation we would all be aware of the new system and most likely have accessed our accounts to ensure payment on time.

My mother, for example... had been expecting her letter as usual and when she didn't recieve it she drove to Navan from Enfield (taking time off work) to pay. Surely someone there in the office should have relayed the amendment details to her... it was only when I called her this morning to explain that I recieved an email that she realised that our post is not going missing like she thought.

Yes, it appears that we ticked a box online that most likely had small writing. I hadn't anticipated that we would be simply be sent a pin by email one day... they should have sent a letter to all motor owners to ensure awareness surrounding the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Got this e-mail myself this morning. It also states my NCT is due at the end of the month even though it passed weeks ago

Yes, it appears that we ticked a box online that most likely had small writing. I hadn't anticipated that we would be simply be sent a pin by email one day... they should have sent a letter to all motor owners to ensure awareness surrounding the change.

so you ticked a box without reading what you were ticking, confirming that you would like to be contacted by email, but you expected a letter in the post to confirm that you had said you would only like to be contacted by email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Yea I didn’t have a great first experience with the new email system, got an email reminder over the Christmas period and forgot all about it until getting a €60 fine off a parking attendant for not having tax. They should really send a couple of emails (seen as they dont cost) for dip****s like me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just got the same mail this morning.

Am I the only one who would rather this shite was paperless. Sheesh

Now to start the collections for my 1080...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Just got the same mail this morning.

Am I the only one who would rather this shite was paperless. Sheesh

Now to start the collections for my 1080...

No I actually prefer paperless myself, better for the environment and all that, I just have to be more aware of it in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Got that mail today myself, great to see some commen sense and in some small way environmentally sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

so you ticked a box without reading what you were ticking, confirming that you would like to be contacted by email, but you expected a letter in the post to confirm that you had said you would only like to be contacted by email?

In fairness that box has been ticked for most people for a number of years; it got to the stage where I didnt really expect anything to come of it. Its not like it was something that appeared on the online renewal system in the past couple of months, with a definite date to let people know when the new notification system would take effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I welcome the letters. Damm right they should incur expenses to bill me! Why would I facilitate them to take stupid amounts of money off of me?

you are just picking on little words now. All I'm saying is that people like my mother had been expecting a letter. IF they had mentioned on the previous tax letter that we should expect this to be introduced soon or even if they noted this on their site as we renewed it would save some people hassle.

I ticked the box, fine, save the world etc paper free whatever... but when my mother is waiting on a letter and doesnt get it and drives to the tax office to pay and is still none the wiser that an email is in her inbox its hardly fair. I'm sure plenty of the older generation are wondering where their letters are. All i'm saying is there should have been some notice of when this was coming into effect.

I ticked the box, fine, save the world etc paper free whatever... but when my mother is waiting on a letter and doesnt get it and drives to the tax office to pay and is still none the wiser that an email is in her inbox its hardly fair. I'm sure plenty of the older generation are wondering where their letters are. All i'm saying is there should have been some notice of when this was coming into effect.

Fair enough.

She could have posted a form off, or she could have requested a new pin online. There were other options than driving to the motor tax office. But I see what you're getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Fair enough.

She could have posted a form off, or she could have requested a new pin online. There were other options than driving to the motor tax office. But I see what you're getting at.

Yeah I know it was extreme doing... but she is old school, needed her disc by the date, had to pay there and then mentality and had been convinced that the pin was lost in the post. It would never had occured to her to go online and request a pin because like alot of older people she wouldnt be as computer literate (not generalising- just from those I know)

I believe in general terms it is a good idea, even better to just do DDs but there will always be people like my parents that are old school.

If she had say got a notice with her last pin to put her wide I could have had it sent to my email and sorted it in 5 mins. Its just a shame that the introduction of all things technology is in my opinion leaving some of the older crowd behind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

As has been stated already, I don't mind this system (not the motor tax system itself, that's still sh!t) but a warning that this was happening would have been nice. I've recently had an upsurge of spam to my email and I was very suspicious of the email when I saw it, so it could have easily been deleted. Surely one more posted letter with a note saying this would be the last one I would get as I ticked the box, blah blah....wouldn't be beyond the wit of whoever wrote the system.

Actually, given how long it took them to get it to this stage, never mind....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I like the idea of paperless and I ticked the box last time for paperless BUT I do feel like there should be at least some form of minor discount or benefit for doing it, if it's costing them less to administer... especially after they raised my car tax by like 150 euro in the last budget, I know it'll never happen and I'll just continue to get screwed at every given opportunity, but I can dream...

Advertisement