Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonesome walks no fun

Options
  • 03-04-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Weather finally changing and i'm still not getting out there to do my walks. been doing the loansome walks for a year or two mainly and just gets harder and harder to head out the door. opted to do some exercise at home today instead.

Anyone else feel it hard to get out when there is no motivation or someone to head out with?

did the mini marathon for the past 2 years. first year was great did a fair bit of training for it but last year wasn't as pushed as i had no one to train with and found it that much harder to complete the course.

really want to do a bit more training this year but i'm just not pushed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I stick in my headphones and go for a walk/run with some good music to listen to. I used to bring the dog out but he is getting very old & slow now and won't walk past the end of the road. Music is the only thing that keeps me going instead of turning around and walking home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ya i always do the music thing but even that ain't getting me out the door lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

I bring the dog or boyfriend on walks and go for runs now by myself with music playing. I prefer to be on my own running, but if it's just a casual sunny Sunday afternoon walk I like to go with my boyfriend, or a friend, or sis in law, etc. I'd prefer to go for a walk/run on my own than not do it at all though. Been running 3 times week on my own since January and I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Music. Try and download something new every time, so the walk is also a change to listen to an album. Also change up the route as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm the opposite, I like to go on solitary walks/training! It's nice to just spend some time alone inside my own head. :)

I understand it's probably easier to go further and time passes quicker if you have someone to talk to though. Do you ever listen to podcasts? If you found one you liked that's an hour long or so you could head out for a walk while you listen to it. I find you have to listen to a talk show on your own anyway and it would certainly help pass the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I find podcasts great too - I like to listen to Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film reviews show when I'm on a long run as the time flies by. In Our Time (BBC) and Newstalk's Talking History are interesting too. I enjoy solitary walks/runs but I do find if they go past an hour, I get a little bored, hence the podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

How about borrowing an elderly neighbours dog for company on your walk? Or if there is a dog shelter nearby they are always looking for people to walk the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

hollypink wrote: »
    I find podcasts great too - I like to listen to Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film reviews show when I'm on a long run as the time flies by. In Your Time (BBC) and Newstalk's Talking History are interesting too. I enjoy solitary walks/runs but I do find if they go past an hour, I get a little bored, hence the podcasts.

So do I! I love Dr. K. :D You have to be ok with laughing out loud or smiling to yourself constantly while walking along though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I'm the opposite. I much prefer working out/walking/jogging on my own.
    That time for me is "me" time :D.

I spend the majority of most days surrounded by people (work colleagues, family, friends) that I find I love just sticking my head phones in and having an hour to myself getting some fresh air while listening to some of favorite music :) Plus I'm not relying on anyone else but myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are some great lectures on you tube that I listen to as I am walking.. plus one for the pod casts, I am a big fan of the doc on one documentary radio broadcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

mollybird wrote: »
    ya i always do the music thing but even that ain't getting me out the door lately.

Want me to scare you with facts on why you should go for walks/exercise?? :D

I love going for walks. In final year at the moment and going for walks clears the head.

Maybe could you set an alarm on your phone and when it goes off, just go?

I feel exactly the same as Mollybird. I never found any enticement to get out the door and walk or jog. It just seems so boring to me, especially as I'm not doing it for any other reason but for the sake of it. I get two buses to work, in the afternoons I tend to skip the second bus and walk home, because that somehow makes sense, I'm actually going somewhere, and usually quicker than the bus too. I used to love jogging with my housemate years back, but just can't be bothered doing it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

wherever you live, Mollybird, you could set up an informal walking group - there's lots of those for running but I'm sure others might like to take it slower.

Facebook is good for setting up an interest group and you can share the admin roles so you're not obliged to show up if you're having an off day. I know of one group that's still going strong a year since they posted "anyone interested in a jog, meet us at the bridge on Tuesday at 7." Set a route, post the map and off you go! Lots of new friends and you'll see your locality in a whole new light too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

For regular running, I love an audiobook. Download some kind of spy thriller or something that's not too demanding but that makes you want to know what happens next. Make it a rule that you can only listen to it when on your walk/run.

If you walk the same loop, try doing it in the opposite direction; it's amazing what different things you'll see going the other way round!

Or think about taking up a different fitness activity you'll enjoy more, maybe try cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ImZara

I find its sometimes a pain when u bring someone with you .
    different pace , then all they do is chat , chat , chat !
    it depends on what you look for I suppose, if u just want a casual walk then I bring along one of the girls.
    If I want to exercise, I tend to go alone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I love walking, but find it hard to get motivated. I have a baby in a buggy, the best excuse to get out, but really prefer to have someone to chat to. Sometimes it can be hard to get out, I have an older child who is not old enough to be left home, yet moans when comes with me:(
    I have tried walking with music, but I find it very disorientating. I much prefer to hear the traffic around me.
    Now that the weather seems to be improving, I'm aiming to get out more, even if it is just me and the buggy. I think a good kick up the backside is what I need:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

I love walking alone. Stick on some podcasts and off I go. Plus I take more in around me as I’m not yapping away to my friends when we go out walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I started playing the game, walking form portal to portal is fun.
    http://www.ingress.com/

73Cat wrote: »
    I love walking, but find it hard to get motivated. I have a baby in a buggy, the best excuse to get out, but really prefer to have someone to chat to. Sometimes it can be hard to get out, I have an older child who is not old enough to be left home, yet moans when comes with me:(
    I have tried walking with music, but I find it very disorientating. I much prefer to hear the traffic around me.
    Now that the weather seems to be improving, I'm aiming to get out more, even if it is just me and the buggy. I think a good kick up the backside is what I need:D

I keep my music down low enough to still hear traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I keep my music down low enough to still hear traffic.

:). There was one day in particular that I went out with my ipod, and sunglasses on. I felt like i was in a complete bubble, it was horrible!! I'm such a weirdo:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I like walking on my own, I walk for exercise and go quite fast, so I go at my own pace.
    Im bored of my music though, where can I get podcasts from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

73Cat wrote: »
    :). There was one day in particular that I went out with my ipod, and sunglasses on. I felt like i was in a complete bubble, it was horrible!! I'm such a weirdo:o

If it makes you feel any better I'm the same. Don't like being out and having head phones on. Some of it is if I'm outside I want to really take in everything. I like to unplug completely and ground myself.

If it makes you feel any better I'm the same. Don't like being out and having head phones on. Some of it is if I'm outside I want to really take in everything. I like to unplug completely and ground myself.

Yeah I like that when I'm running/walking somewhere with tweeting birds, breeze through trees, lambs, crashing waves, etc. When I'm running along a road with lorries and tractors thundering past I like my bit of music!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

As a previous poster said try and borrow a dog. They really are the most fantastic creatures to get you out and about. A lot of people with dogs aren't able to give them all the exercise they need and would be thrilled to have someone to take the hound out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭captainpants23

I bring the dog or boyfriend on walks and go for runs now by myself with music playing. I prefer to be on my own running, but if it's just a casual sunny Sunday afternoon walk I like to go with my boyfriend, or a friend, or sis in law, etc. I'd prefer to go for a walk/run on my own than not do it at all though. Been running 3 times week on my own since January and I love it.

Does the boyfriend chase parked cars?

Does the boyfriend chase parked cars?

Nope, but then neither does the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Im bored of my music though, where can I get podcasts from?

You can get some good free ones from Itunes. I'm hoping to mix learning french with walking, but it may look a bit odd if I'm mumbling the phrases to myself:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My best walking buddy is my dog, even on horrible wintery days her big pleading eyes are enough to get me up & out of the house plus I'd just feel too guilty for the rest of the day if I didn't take her out. She's usually all the company I need!!

Advertisement