Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like some pills for that? - the medicalisation of life

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Its funny that the conspiracy theorists worry about fluoride in the water, but not this - probably because a lot of them are medicalised.

Fact is - with the exception of people who are totally non-functional, or dangerous, or clinically depressed - nobody is really mentally ill. Any deviation from the norm can be medacilised or pathologised ( homosexuality used to be, for instance), or not depending on politics, not real science.

so when you are sick and have a cough or cold what do you call that?

there is a stigma that mental illness' are 'for life' or something, they are not, they are like the common cold in simple terms, very VERY simple terms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Pills for some, miniature american flags for others

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KuriousOranj

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    How on earth can you be on the verge of killing yourself and wait a few months for your meds to kick in!

There is not one anti -D that works that quick. It can take weeks or months to regulate meds, as someone with experience of someone wanting to take their life - it took 3 months for their meds to regulate.

Anti-D's are deadly and should not be given out willy nilly and can destroy lives - trust me I know, their lasting effects go on for years, not to mention coming off them can take years.

They are easily thrown at both children and adults as a quick fix, the people perscribing them (i would work in an industry that encourages paed quick fixes in mental health) should tell the person they are giving them to - exactly what they are giving, the side effects - sure if that pharmacist is that not too late! and how they affect your life. its not a question of taking a tablet and stopping when its all rosy in the garden!

In my case a few years back (suicidal/self harming) I was prescribed anti-d's along with an anti-psychotic medication to stop the suicidal thoughts until the anti-d's fully took effect.Common enough according to the psych who prescribed them to me.

All the side effects were listed in the literature that came with them,and the pharmacist told me how and when to take them too.Also was put on a waiting list for counselling,and received regular phone calls from the mental health nurse.

Don't see the issue with the OP's article.Patient presented with symptoms of depression,counselling was suggested,and medication was prescribed.Same as with me,only I was referred to a community mental health team too,but not all GP's are aware of these services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Sauve wrote: »
    But the thread is about anti-depressants, the Ritalin debate is a whole other issue altogether.

The thread is about "the medicalisation of life" - it got stuck on anti-depressants for a short while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

IM0 wrote: »
    so when you are sick and have a cough or cold what do you call that?

there is a stigma that mental illness' are 'for life' or something, they are not, they are like the common cold in simple terms, very VERY simple terms

If thats the case you are clearly justifying the "medicalisation of life". Depression was generally sold as a clinical genetic thing, where people who would otherwise be non-functional for life needed help, you seem to see it as a crutch for sad episodes in life. Which is the point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Snide, pointless gutter journalism. She went to seven doctors, lied to them, faked symptoms of depression and acts outraged when she's treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The problem isnt GP's over perscribing anti-depressants but a wider issue in relation to psychiatry and the medical model when dealing with mental issues. Prescribing people dangerous medication based on their presentation of arbitrary symptoms listed in the DSM is likely causing more issues than it solves. People develop very serious side effects from medication as well addiction and dependencies on said medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I think the thread is a valid one and not only for depression. Doctors now only seem to treat the symptoms rather than the cause of problems.

I wonder if any of the Doctors asked the patients what their diet is like?

Nutrition is a huge factor in depression. This is coming from somebody who was treated for severe clinical depression and bipolar for years. I have recently removed dairy and processed animal products from my diet and greatly increased my intake of fruit and plant based foods.

I was concerned that I was on too much medication and that my general health was just getting worse. Diet while being a difficult approach especially for someone with depression has made a huge difference so far. I have real hope for the future.

I was on the following medication:
    Blood pressure medication
    Antidepressant
    Mood Stabilizer
    Asthma inhalers x 2
    Medications to open airways at night (for sleep apnea)
    Steroids for lungs
    Creams for psoriasis
    Antihistamines for hay fever
    Nasal spray for hay fever

While I was on all of this medication, all of my conditions got slowly worse and I got bloated and put on 4 stone. Not once when I went to any doctors, psychiatrists or consultants did anyone discuss nutrition.

In the space of a couple of months (1st month was very hard) I am now off all medication and all of the conditions above greatly improved. My blood pressure is in the normal range, my asthma is gone, psoriasis gone, hay fever gone. Depression is a tougher as you need to build positive routine and habits and that takes time. I am better than I was on the medication but it continues to be a real struggle. I lost no real weight in the first month while the medication was still in my system but in the second month I have lost about 12lbs.

Doctors are trained to offer solutions based on the presentation of certain symptoms. They are doing their jobs as per their training but I do think that nutrition is greatly overlooked as a solution to a range of issues. We cant blame the doctors as society looks for the quick fix in all areas. If they told people to go on a strict diet then a lot of people would not do it.

This is just my experience and everyone is different. I might have a major depressive or manic episode in the future and all this might go out the window but for the moment it is working for me and I have for the first time in years some real hope. I am learning more and more that people need to take more responsibility for their own health and not rely on doctors for quick fixes or pills.

I would recommend people with the same conditions as I had above watch the documentary "Fat sick and nearly dead". THis is not medical advice and is my experience for a relatively short period of time. The only thing I would say is that in my case the pills only treated the symptoms but nutrition (or previous lack of) has for the first time removed the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Playboy wrote: »
    The problem isnt GP's over perscribing anti-depressants but a wider issue in relation to psychiatry and the medical model when dealing with mental issues. Prescribing people dangerous medication based on their presentation of arbitrary symptoms listed in the DSM is likely causing more issues than it solves.

The problem probably is with the GP's over-prescribling anti-depressants. When a person is put on anti-depressants for the first time it should be in a controlled environment where there is patient doctor interaction and they can be properly monitored. It should also be in conjunction with other forms of therapy such as counselling and not based purely on symptoms in the DSM as is often the case with GPs. The sad fact of the matter is that because of the state of mental health facilities in this country the above scenario I have listed is probably only open to those with private health insurance.
    Playboy wrote: »
    People develop very serious side effects from medication as well addiction and dependencies on said medication.

People can develop serious side effects but it is not a given but I would dispute your assertion that anti-depressants are addictive. People may feel dependent on them and be afraid to come off them but I wouldn't describe them as being addicted to them and I haven't seen anyone who has taken anti-depressants display any addictive characteristics in relation to taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I suppode when you have to psy fifty euro per visit they feel they have to give you some sort of prescription. ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If thats the case you are clearly justifying the "medicalisation of life". Depression was generally sold as a clinical genetic thing, where people who would otherwise be non-functional for life needed help, you seem to see it as a crutch for sad episodes in life. Which is the point...

You don't seem to grasp what mental illness actually is.

I am diagnosed with a few mental health conditions, 2 of which are now gone, one of which is one of the 'extreme' conditions and is incurable.

I was fully functioning for 5 years while having these conditions, at least to the outside world. I was working, in college, had a social life and a boyfriend, etc etc. I was also so depressed that I didn't enjoy any of it, dreaded waking up each day, wanted to die, had issues with purging and self harm as a result (which I hid from everyone, doctors included), etc etc. It was a mammoth effort for me just to wash. I did it all, though, and I forced myself to function for 5 years until I had a massive break down and was non-functioning for 2 years.

I'm now healthy, happy, not receiving any treatment at all as my doctors/therapists all agreed that I can cope alone now. I wake up looking forward to each day, with a spring in my step, and I love everything about my life. Yet, I'm still doing the same things I did when I was 'functioning' with mental illness- I'm working, I'm in college, I'm dating, I have a great social life. Difference is, I love it all now.

MANY mentally ill people are fully functioning. It's a complete myth that only seriously mentally ill people don't function. I was as serious as it gets, and I functioned for years.

Advertisement