Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People ''Prentending'' the recession has affected them

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Andy... yeh neighbourly pr!ck.. I hope you put out the bins for us? Sun is shining in Wexford BTW:D

Missus is a neurosurgeon, not a dentist. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

tim_simms wrote: »
    the thread isnt about begrudging success , its about having to tollerate listening to phoneys who claim to be a victim of the rescession when they are not

farmers for example have never had it as good , they had a duff period for over a decade but are seeing record prices for their produce this past two years

yes - you are correct .
    My point being that given the apologetic attitude some feel they must now take for earning a decent crust - it's kinda easier to jump in and say "hey we're poor too, please accept us"

i kinda thought that was evident in my post...sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

the thread isnt about begrudging success , its about having to tollerate listening to phoneys who claim to be a victim of the rescession when they are not

But the OP's neighbours clearly ARE victims of the recession when they have to live beside a curtain twitcher. I'd imagine they wouldn't feel half as awkward if they could afford a gardener to put out their bins. Then they wouldn't have to look at the OP, let alone have to explain themselves to him before they could ask him to do a simple favor.
    farmers for example have never had it as good , they had a duff period for over a decade but are seeing record prices for their produce this past two years

Ohh I near popped a lung laughing so hard at the above! :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Well, if this isn't the definition of irony...

Maybe they feel a pang of guilt alright when you're eyeballing them over the wall and pricing all their possessions. I can only imagine the hangdog face on you peering over the wall... Of course you're going to make them feel awkward.

Suuure you don't, and yet their possessions are the first thing you mention in your OP. They'll tell you it's only to Wexford because they probably ARE only going to Wexford.

I see the recession doesn't seem to have had any effect on the bitter "keeping up with the Jones next door" mentality.
    YOU DONT GO TO WEXFORD AT 4AM IN A TAXI !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

andym1 wrote: »
    A 12D 3 series and a 131D mazda 6 in the drive, 350k gaff now worth 225 ish I would say. He a senior civil servant 60k She a dentist with her own practice in the town. Well done i say, But why do they always whinge about the ''recession'' every time I meet them outside the door ? Do they feel sory for me ? 4am taxis to their door to the airport, suitcases etc and they tell me they are going to ''Her Mothers'' in Wexford for a few days and would I put out their bins.
    I really dont begrudge anyone what they have, but why the lies ? If they told me they were going on a 10 day cruise to Costa Rica with an outside cabin with a balcony I would be really happy to put out the bins but why tell me it's Wexford ?

So you think because they make more money than you, the recession hasn't affected them?

• Advertisement

Sister is a dental nurse, turnover down between 20 to 30% as people no longer get cosmetic or just plain check ups done. Only time alot of people go to dentists these days is for neccessary work.

Your sister is the organ grinder, NOT the dentist !

So you think because they make more money than you, the recession hasn't affected them?
    No But a drop from 120k to 100k hardly means moving out to the shed, Does it ? Get real !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Maybe her brother is a taxi driver and offered to give them a lift down as he was heading there himself.

You DO though when you want to get there before traffic! It's a long enough trip without getting caught in traffic jams, etc.

I often go by bus because I can get a private bus service at 2am in the morning from Dublin. I'd get a cab if I was in a rush alright, like if I'd work on in the morning.

The reason they obviously have what they have is because while you're sleeping, they're still going. You should ask them to be more considerate next time and have the driver call them instead of waking you with a beep and interrupting your beauty sleep! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Montroseee wrote: »
    You are the typical sideline begrudger of a couple doing well for themselves.

You clearly didn't read the OPs comments. They complain that the recession is affecting them while displaying all the attributes of a couple who are clearly not short on money or having to do without luxuries in life. Yes they may have less money than they had a few years ago but they clearly have way more than enough to keep them in their pampered lifestyles.

Dentists and doctors have taken very little 'pain' in this recession. While everyone's wages have been cut their fees and prices have remained static and in many cases increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Maybe they feel they have to mention it. It's become the topic of the day just as house prices was the topic of the day in the past.

It's either the recession or the weather.

Maybe they'd feel out of place if they weren't talking about it, then you begin to suspect they were communists, sorry, wrong witch hunt. :D

At the end of it all the recession has affected everyone in relation to the height of the Tiger. The extent is the thing though.

imme wrote: »

Maybe they'd feel out of place if they weren't talking about it, then you begin to suspect they were communists, sorry, wrong witch hunt. :D

That was EXACTLY the first thing that popped into my head when I read the OP and pictured them peering over the wall and pricing all their neighbours possessions! :pac:

I mean, it makes you wonder, if his neighbours have all that, the OP can't exactly be living in a garden shed next door to them himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Seems the recession is affecting some people's ability to read and comprehend the opening post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

old age pensioners = no cuts whatsoever to cash entitlements , a token cut in the form of a cut to fuel allowance during months when the weather isnt even cold + a miniscule 50 cent per prescription charge = no rescession there
    This really irritates me. You begrudge pensioners a state pension - they more than likely paid tax at 50%, endured much higher mortgage rates, paid a council tax at one point in the past (can't remember the correct name for it, I was a child at the time), had fewer luxuries that many of us now consider essentials etc.

And you begrudge them a pension? No doubt you have saved a lot of your income to avoid becoming a burden on the state in your old age.

FYI, it's €1.50 per presciption item, older people tend to need more medication than other age groups so it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

This really irritates me. You begrudge pensioners a state pension - they more than likely paid tax at 50%, endured much higher mortgage rates, paid a council tax at one point in the past (can't remember the correct name for it, I was a child at the time), had fewer luxuries that many of us now consider essentials etc.

And you begrudge them a pension? No doubt you have saved a lot of your income to avoid becoming a burden on the state in your old age.

FYI, it's €1.50 per presciption item, older people tend to need more medication than other age groups so it all adds up.

+1 totally agree. Awful to think that the elderly should suffer more cuts than what they have been subject too already. And the €1.50 is a huge leap for some who are less fortunate and need extra prescriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

No But a drop from 120k to 100k hardly means moving out to the shed, Does it ? Get real !

Agreed but they were still affected by the recession

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's just the 'poor mouth' out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

the cost of going to a GP has not dropped this past five years
    That means nothing. Her cost probably have gone up but she's stuck at her price which everyone already thinks is too expensive.

It happened in our sector, our costs go up by the month, shipping is up, the cost of plastic is up, while the people demand cheaper and cheaper goods. Many small or independent businesses are being pushed out of the market because they can't compete with the big multinationals low prices.

And of course cheap does not mean good value, we don't seem to understand that in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Admit it OP:
    You checked the bins before you put them out

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭IrishCule

Jarrod wrote: »
    One of my most hated side effects of the recession is people who say 'No recession there.'

'You're having a biscuit with your tea? No recession there!'

'You're eating meat and potatoes instead of gruel six nights a week and porridge on Sundays? No recession there!'

It's usually accompanied by an 'AmIRight?' look around the room like a sh1tebag comedian at a brutally failing gig. Shut up you fcuking gobsh1te.

30 thanks? No recession there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It does go on though. I've a sister and brother in law who have a combined annual salary over €400k. During the boom they loved to tell you how much they spent on XYZ. Now during the bust they love to tell you how they shop in Aldi as it offers value for money.

Both of them are quite sensible, intelligent people. But somehow i feel the constant narrative in the media of "things are bad" makes them themselves think that things are bad, when they really ain't, at least not if you're pulling in €400k a year, EVERY year.

But to listen to them you'd swear the recession has really effected them. I suppose when they look at their payslips and see they're being taxed 55%-60% they can't but help that it is hitting them. But at the end of the day if you used to get a €250k after tax income and that is now reduced to €170k are things really that bad ? I guess it annoying as you're doing the same work for less but with these things its just better to get on with it and see the positive side, i.e. that you have a roof over your head and still have a stack of disposable income to take 4 foreign holidays a year. Perhaps that €4m house up in the hills of Howth is no longer in your grasp but heh, you're still living very comfortably, at least compared to many of the people who haven't been abroad since 2007.

As an aside I hate the people who throw around this begrudgery tag like has been thrown on the OP here. I don't begrudge my sister and BIL anything, they're among the best in the country at what they do and they get paid only as much as an employer is willing to pay them. But if they go complaining about how hard they have it in this recession then I'm going to call a spade a spade and tell them they haven't got it hard at all, they merely have it less easy. That's not begrudgery, it's realism. And they should thank me for it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 janetc

Admit it OP:
    You checked the bins before you put them out

Probably M+S fancy stuff, But I see the Op point

Advertisement