Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of your old coins

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭

Dunno if their has been s thread about this recently, probably has, feel free to lock mods if so.

Anyways I have a sweet jar of coins, I want to get rid of and get some money, where should I go to convert the coins?

Tesco has coin counters machines but I think you can only convert that into Tesco Vouchers.

Try paying a hooker in vouchers:D

Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Central Bank

/end thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Why don't you count them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Count them into coin bags and go to the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

a bank, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Use them at the Tesco self-service checkouts. You just lob them in and it counts them. That way you don't have to pay the commission that the machines charge you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

You could go to a coinstar machine but they take a percentage. Alternatively fill socks with them for makeshift weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Pretty sure the machines in Tesco print a voucher but that they'll change it for cash at the till if that's what you want. I emptied my coppers into it at the weekend and it took 17 euro off my shopping. My friend did the same but he ended up getting his shopping paid for plus money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

FatherLen wrote: »
    a bank, ffs.

Ah lads, appreciate the quick responses, don't ask why I never thought of a bank.

I basically have all the coins in a sweet jar like this, ok to walk into one with it, or do I need to put the money into bags?

retro-sweet-jar_alt1_zoom-1024x877.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Use them at the Tesco self-service checkouts. You just lob them in and it counts them. That way you don't have to pay the commission that the machines charge you.

I was thinking about doing this but wasn't sure if they'd handle the volume. And thought the people behind me would get pissed off pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Ah lads, appreciate the quick responses, don't ask why I never thought of a bank.

I basically have all the coins in a sweet jar like this, ok to walk into one with it, or do I need to put the money into bags?

retro-sweet-jar_alt1_zoom-1024x877.jpg
    You have to put the money into bags, the bank won't accept a jar of coins.

Just ask them for a stack of money bags then go home and count them.

I do this every so often, it takes about 20 minutes and usually yields around €200 in coins. It's probably the most profitable thing I do with my own time, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

put it into bank bags yourself,
    wouldn't we all love to be in the queue behind you at the bank Rjd2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mousewar wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing this but wasn't sure if they'd handle the volume. And thought the people behind me would get pissed off pretty quickly.

If you take your time it can handle the volume. Don't throw the whole jar in at the same time.

Feck the people behind. There's other tills they can use while you're being frugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You could also ask your local publican.
    Mine takes all my coins and gives me notes. He gave me a supply of bags too.

Publicans always need changes as people usually tender notes for their drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Like others said, get some coin bags, count it out yourself and bring it into the bank/credit union. No charge for doing it like there is for some coin-counting machines. Doesn't take too long to count. Leftover coins which don't make up a full bag can go back into the jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

to quicky count the money get a digital weighing scale.

weigh out the 2 quid or whatever in 1c for example (give it value x) and then you can dump your 1c on the scale get a rough calculation of whats there and then you can also get the 2 euro worth by removing the coins until you get X again.

thats how banks measure what you dump into the wee bags instead of counting it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

oh and also you probably won't be able to do it at the cashier desk you probably have to go into the business part

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Give it all away to a charity

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I Find counting it into bags to be a chillout task, the fact theres usually over a hundred quid is a bonus.

My wife doesnt stash change like I do, she uses it all at the Tesco self service counters and when the kids piggybanks are full we'll go buy a toy in tesco and they can pay the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I must go to the bank and get money bag's i have two tub's of coins from the past 10 years its full of 20c and 50cent coins il be minted fo sho.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

Give it all away to a charity

+1 I throw in a big bag of coins to the Irish Cancer society shop on Camden St whenever it reaches the top of my savings bottle.

the volunteers are happy enough to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Dunno if their has been s thread about this recently, probably has, feel free to lock mods if so.

Anyways I have a sweet jar of coins, I want to get rid of and get some money, where should I go to convert the coins?

Tesco has coin counters machines but I think you can only convert that into Tesco Vouchers.

Try paying a hooker in vouchers:D

Appreciate any feedback.

Surely you eat.

Change it in Tesco and pay the hooker with the money that you were going to spend on food.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Happened to be talking about this with someone at the weekend, do banks charge you for changing coins? (I'm fairly sure they charge businesses)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Ive never been charged in a bank.

I think banks charge to provide coins, not take them in..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Happened to be talking about this with someone at the weekend, do banks charge you for changing coins? (I'm fairly sure they charge businesses)

Just back from my AIB, they charge 2 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

Go to Tesco in the quieter hours of night.

Buy lots of necessities.

Go to the self checkout machines.

Pay with your coins

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Superglue them inside a suit jacket. Hey presto, bullet proof vest.

Disclaimer : May or may not stop bullets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mousewar wrote: »
    Pretty sure the machines in Tesco print a voucher but that they'll change it for cash at the till if that's what you want. I emptied my coppers into it at the weekend and it took 17 euro off my shopping. My friend did the same but he ended up getting his shopping paid for plus money back.
    wow

if you'd dumped the change in the self service shopping machine twenty feet away you'd probably have got €2 more

Also kids love counting coins, get them to bag the money / guess how much it will be / nearest gets a prize or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

You wonder why austerity and the Irish will never work ?

What do I do with my coins ?

Jebus wept.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could go to a coinstar machine but they take a percentage. Alternatively fill socks with them for makeshift weapons.
    don't they take a double digit percentage ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Just back from my AIB, they charge 2 quid.
    It's free (well usual 20c transaction charge) if you lodge them instead. I love doing this in my bank. They have only two cashiers now and about three people standing around asking if you're lodging money. The puss on their face when I say yes but it's all coins is hilarious. :pac:

Advertisement