Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

oikster wrote: »
    What is happening here????:eek:

Sorry 5th pic down.

I don't know! What do you mean exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

Sorry again it was actually 6th pic down where it appears that the fill into your system is connected to a plumbing pipe ,permanently connected and relying on a swing non return valve to stop backflow.This is wrong on so many levels. Regs or no regs.

Sorry again it was actually 6th pic down where it appears that the fill into your system is connected to a plumbing pipe ,permanently connected and relying on a swing non return valve to stop backflow.This is wrong on so many levels. Regs or no regs.

Why? What could happen and why do you think it was done in the first place?

A pressurised or sealed heating system is normally filled from the mains using a temporary flexble connection (connect to fill-remove when finished). Thewater also passes through a double check valve to ensure that no heating system water can backflow into the main.This is standard water regulation.
    Yours on the other hand appears to be connected into your cold supply to your bathroom cold taps .toilet,showers etc.
    The strange bit is, you say your heating system is at 1 bar. Is this hot or cold pressure reading?

A pressurised or sealed heating system is normally filled from the mains using a temporary flexble connection (connect to fill-remove when finished). Thewater also passes through a double check valve to ensure that no heating system water can backflow into the main.This is standard water regulation.
    Yours on the other hand appears to be connected into your cold supply to your bathroom cold taps .toilet,showers etc.
    The strange bit is, you say your heating system is at 1 bar. Is this hot or cold pressure reading?

Sorry, I was wrong about the system water pressure! I brought up the fault code log! When i try to bring up the pressure throgh the diagnostic menu it skips over the no. for the water pressure. It says the pressure is shown permanently when the system is off but I think ours is in stand by on account of the motorised valves. So can you tell me how to get the water pressure?

• Advertisement

Sorry I do not work on gas boilers so can't help there I'm afraid. Under normal circumstances topping up a sealed system is a simple procedure but in this case I am looking at pipe arrangements that I do not recognise. Maybe some of the gas lads on here can help you. If its any consolation I still do not think that your problem is a leak.

I have also downloaded the installation manual for this boiler and of the three suggested methods of filling the system none is remotely like yours I'm afraid

So can anyone recommend a plumber to fix the problem with the central heating. Are c&f quadrant any good?

Can you think of any reason that none of the lads on here are willing to help you? Strange I must say.

Can you think of any reason that none of the lads on here are willing to help you? Strange I must say.

None! Maybe as I don't post much in the Plumbing and Heating forum?!!

Seemed to be quite a few offers up until you posted those pics.

• Advertisement

Seemed to be quite a few offers up until you posted those pics.

Ha! Is it that a bad of a set up in my hot press?!

Mostly it is OK, but that fill pipe , if that is what it is. just doesn't look right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I imagine that most had thought you had it all covered and as its now gone 3 pages and been made a tad confusing most just can't be asked to catch up on it.

:eek:

Is it a presurised system ? sounds like a pump or balancing issue, i bit more info and pictures would help further.

Have you seen the pictures that you asked for?

Apologies OP that I cannot take this any further.But rest assured that I will find out how common or not ,this type of connection is.

A wee bit more info OP. What you seem to have is an ATTEMPT at a semi sealed system. Seems to be recommended by some gas boiler manufacturers. Although a dedicated top up tank should be installed.What you have is a shortcut.The bare minimum pressure to keep the boiler satisfied,yet not enough to annoy any existing dodgy fittings.In other words OP the LAZY way out.I take it from the silence on here that this is common practice. And then they cry about regulations and unregistered workmen. Hard to beat a bit of experience.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The fill valve on the system is a 1/2 inch 367 valve. If it is hooked up to the mains 10 times out of 10 these valves will pass when closed on mains pressure. Are you sure it's connected to the mains? Flexicoms can be configured to work on low pressure systems.
    You could follow the 1/2inch pipe into the attic and see where it terminates.

First I would get that set up changed for a proper filling loop. Then see if the pressure drops.

Then I would get the coil on the cylinder capped to see if the coil has a pin hole in it.

Also has your RGI checked the boiler expansion vessel and safety valve? The valve should be piped to the outside and should be 1/2inch copper. It will be outside in the location of the boiler.

Advertisement