Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinhole leak on radiator

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    That is what concerns me there could be other weaknessess.

So are you suggesting replace the defective radiator only or all radiators?

Get a plumber to check but really what ever you have the money to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Update to my story...Radiator replaced yesterday, the remaining water that came out when removing the radiator was OK no signs of corrosion or sludge.

I cut through the radiator this afternoon to see what condition the radiator is from the inside and from the pictures attached it looks pretty good UNLESS someone on this forum with a better trained eye can see any tell tale signs...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

Nice one hope you're sorted.:)

Hope so, might have been a bad radiator and nothing more.

Boy was I lucky to have been there when it started, perish the thought of opening the door to a flooded house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Could have been effects of electrolysis from a speck of loose copper in the system. This will stick to the steel like a magnet & corrode a pinhole.

• Advertisement

shane0007 wrote: »
    Could have been effects of electrolysis from a speck of loose copper in the system. This will stick to the steel like a magnet & corrode a pinhole.

Interesting theory, have you come across this?

The corrosion was unnoticeable until the complete failure, no warning at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Interesting theory, have you come across this?

The corrosion was unnoticeable until the complete failure, no warning at all.

Yes can happen a bit especially when soldered fittings are used (caused by copper burr). If this is the reason, the only solution is a proper mechanical Powerflush.

Test the system for Hydrogen content as this will be a direct by-product of electrolysis.

Advertisement