Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment Questions

Options
  • 30-03-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the Mullingar RDF (54RAR) are still training in Mullingar or have they been disbanded??

I can see on searches that accommodation was being sought but also rural units being disbanded.

I am an ex member from the 9th FAR and would like to rejoin if possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

gone for the moment mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

gone for the moment mate.

OK thanks for the reply, I've lost contact with former members after working away from home and the news online is conflicting.

Ireland is no longer Ireland I'm afraid :mad:

yeah mate I know what you mean, I know for fact theres officers who dont even know what the outcome for units will be.

yeah mate I know what you mean, I know for fact theres officers who dont even know what the outcome for units will be.

Disbanding a nations reserve force is ludicrous...I'm 28 this June and thinks of going across the pond. Age limit is 33 while its 24 here :rolleyes:

A disgrace that at my age I have to leave home to join a foreign army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It hasn't been disbanded, just amalgamated with PDF parent units.

• Advertisement

Yes but no word on when this will be fully completed theres no recruitment and those in dont know who will be retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

One of their B.S's said they had been stood down until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭dasa29

Hi Kwacker Jack i am an nco with 54RAR and was in the 9FAR as well, send me a pm and i will try and answer any questions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

There's RDF elements to be in Mullingar post-reorg. Not artillery though. Infantry I think.

Shatter has said that when they know the numbers of effective members in the RDF they will recruit if necessary to maintain the levels that they want (Somewhere around the 3800 mark I think). A huge amount of members requested discharge or just didn't return forms for this re-org, thus making them non-effective. (I'm basing that on people that I know that are RDFers and what they've told me about their units). Hang around. There will be recruitment either this year or next.

Shatter needs to come down a notch and live in the real world

The amount of men and women who devoted there lives to the RDF and then for it to be 'throw' to one side.

Thanks dasa29 will do.

• Advertisement

Shatter needs to come down a notch and live in the real world

The amount of men and women who devoted there lives to the RDF and then for it to be 'throw' to one side.

Thanks dasa29 will do.

To be fair it's something that's been discussed to death. The new arrangement is a far more realistic one for the numbers that actually turn up regularly. No point in having 8000 well intentioned people when only 3500 of them only manage to attend annual training.

It was on the cards long before shatter became minister, and would probably have happened in 2005 if it wasn't for every local gombeen td demanding that they keep their local sluagh hall or outpost, with scant regard to its practicality, or usefulness.

No point in having a reserve unit if their only function is to attend shooting competitions, march at paddys day and round off the year with a well intentioned overnight exercise of section in attack at annual camp. It serves no military purpose, particularly when budgets are tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Phaidi1

I have wanted to join the RDF for a while now, but between the public service embargo, restructuring etc etc I haven't been able to. Does anyone know if the restructuring is near completed, or if there is even a point in trying to join anytime soon with all the cuts due to occur to the RDF?

Cheers!

Come back in august. There should be a clearer picture by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

as goldie says, no point yet as they haven't a clue what to do with the people they have nevermind try and bring more in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Phaidi1

That's grand, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Sorry to tell you but there is no recruiting in 2013, it is the fault or the Army Reserve having to many on their books.when they fall below establishment then it will commence. Still you never know , things can and do change.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

mcko wrote: »
    Sorry to tell you but there is no recruiting in 2013, it is the fault or the Army Reserve having to many on their books.when they fall below establishment then it will commence. Still you never know , things can and do change.

Fault of the military authorities and department of defence for not administering or organising the army reserve properly to remove non effectives from the establishment. Those IN the army reserve have no control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Morpheus wrote: »
    Fault of the military authorities and department of defence for not administering or organising the army reserve properly to remove non effectives from the establishment. Those IN the army reserve have no control over it.

Sorry didn't mean to imply it was the fault of the people in the reserve rather the Army high command.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I am not sure if i should post here but i didnt want to open a new thread and its a question for the mullingar lads. I was in mullingar this morning for a meeting and i noticed a air corps heilcopter landing in the barracks. Is the barracks still operational in mullingar?

Its still Department Of Defence Property, although not operational it may be used for training :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

It was being used for a training ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I was wondering what was going on. The aw 139 is lot larger then you would think. Anything to distract me from work

And fun to be flown around in, especially with the doors open!

[MOD]Please direct all RESERVE recruitment questions to this thread.[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

No reserve recruitment in 2013 aside...

I couldn't find out detail on DF website - how many days do you have to commit a year in the RDF?
    I'm wondering how many weekends, and how many camps. The RDF is something I'd be interested in, but I have a full time job and going away for a 7 day camp would be difficult.

Forget it so.

There are new KPIs which, if you don't achieve them, you will be ejected from the force.

One of these will be the expectation to attend at least 1 period of 7 days uninterrupted full time training per annum.

Just asking, but what full time job won't allow you to take off the relevant days? given that most jobs require you present 5 days per week or a max number of hours per week you should potentially only require 5 days annual leave off?Ive a full time job and have managed it for 8 years including some courses that required up to 3 full weeks training in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Would ex permanent defence force members be able to join the RDF, I understand an ex Permanent Defence force member could go in at the same rank they left the PDF, in that instance they wouldn't be required to attend recruit training so would it be possible for an ex PDF member to join this year?

No, not until after October this year. On paper there is surplus people per appointment. They cannot take new people until there are vacancies.

• Advertisement

No, not until after October this year. On paper there is surplus people per appointment. They cannot take new people until there are vacancies.

Whats happening in October that means we can recruit afterwards? Genuine question, not being a smartar$e.

Advertisement