Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Tablet

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I bought one of these last year for the same price as in the OP

Despite knowing my way around rooting, apks and what not, it just wasn't worth the hassle for something that was already far behind the competition at that stage. Also the fact that some stuff only works with a BB phone, lack of apps and support generally, I ended up seling it about a month later practically unused.

Went through a phase then with a Windows based Acer tab which was pretty good but the spec wasn't great so sold that too.

Bought a Chinese Ainol Hero 2 Quadcore a few weeks back and so far it's been the best of the lot, but not perfect either as I like to tweak and there's no custom ROMs for it.. luckily the stock ROM isn't too bad.

I think I'll wait till the Windows 8 tabs come down a bit and then buy one of those as I spend most of my time online despite having a Galaxy Note 2 and this other tab to hand as well.

Probably what I'll do is buy the best "convertible" laptop/tab I can afford at that stage and sell the 2 I have (but this Vostro 3350 I have will take some beating :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I bought one of these last year for the same price as in the OP

Despite knowing my way around rooting, apks and what not, it just wasn't worth the hassle for something that was already far behind the competition at that stage. Also the fact that some stuff only works with a BB phone, lack of apps and support generally, I ended up seling it about a month later practically unused.

Went through a phase then with a Windows based Acer tab which was pretty good but the spec wasn't great so sold that too.

Bought a Chinese Ainol Hero 2 Quadcore a few weeks back and so far it's been the best of the lot, but not perfect either as I like to tweak and there's no custom ROMs for it.. luckily the stock ROM isn't too bad.

I think I'll wait till the Windows 8 tabs come down a bit and then buy one of those as I spend most of my time online despite having a Galaxy Note 2 and this other tab to hand as well.

Probably what I'll do is buy the best "convertible" laptop/tab I can afford at that stage and sell the 2 I have (but this Vostro 3350 I have will take some beating :))
    Finally, a relevant comment comparing 3 OS's and referencing the owners techie - ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I can see the gaps (for some) in the PlayBooks app store but other than that I dont see how you can say it's far behind the competition. As a two year old device it's specs still out strip most devices out there for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I can see the gaps (for some) in the PlayBooks app store but other than that I dont see how you can say it's far behind the competition. As a two year old device it's specs still out strip most devices out there for the same money.

Well it's very well built and the raw hardware spec was/is good enough yes but these things live and die on their software/apps and "cool factor", so the lack of support for it then/now in that regard without resorting to workarounds (and even then still missing a lot) is what I mean by behind the competition. Plus BB is still seen as a corporate device, not a consumer one.

Trying to tie you in by limiting bluetooth support to BB phones is another example.

I gather the new OS is supposed to be a big improvement, but I think BB has lost its foothold in the market at this stage and it'll be interesting to see if it's enough to stage a fightback against Google and Apple's dominance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well it's very well built and the raw hardware spec was/is good enough yes but these things live and die on their software/apps and "cool factor", so the lack of support for it then/now in that regard without resorting to workarounds (and even then still missing a lot) is what I mean by behind the competition. Plus BB is still seen as a corporate device, not a consumer one.

Trying to tie you in by limiting bluetooth support to BB phones is another example.

I gather the new OS is supposed to be a big improvement, but I think BB has lost its foothold in the market at this stage and it'll be interesting to see if it's enough to stage a fightback against Google and Apple's dominance

Bluetooth works with keyboards and other devices for tethering. What bluetooth support are you missing? As I said I concede on apps for now but more are coming (promise!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement