Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filipinos nailed to crosses in extreme display of devotion for Good Friday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

finally a level of stupidity is rewarded with an equivalent level of pain....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sea_monkey wrote: »
    I always thought the nails went through the wrist not the hand? holds up better.

Yeah a real crucifixion would have to go through the wrist, even though paintings often depict nails going through the palm of the hand
    You'll notice with these guys that there are lots of straps to take their weight so the nail going through the palm shouldn't have any weight on it.
    With a careful aim it should do little enough damage...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ninja900 wrote: »
    Yeah a real crucifixion would have to go through the wrist, even though paintings often depict nails going through the palm of the hand
    You'll notice with these guys that there are lots of straps to take their weight so the nail going through the palm shouldn't have any weight on it.
    With a careful aim it should do little enough damage...

Bugger all. Seen it on some documentary. When it comes to nailing people up, they really know their nailin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

sea_monkey wrote: »
    I always thought the nails went through the wrist not the hand? holds up better.

I'll email them.

You should enail them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Anybody notice the subtle underpants endorsement?
    Beckham will be mad that he didn't think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

gctest50 wrote: »
    Is that an Archos mp3 player he has ?
    No, it's a wireless transmitter for the mike near his mouth. You know, so the people in the nosebleed seats get to hear his screams all the more clearly. I'm not exaggerating or being sarcastic.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yeah, I kinda had to, didn't I?

247298.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If they're not hurting anyone else in their actions then who am I to stop them from doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Honestly, people like that need psychiatric help.

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    Honestly, people like that need psychiatric help.

...its fairly standard RC thinking at work, tbh. Offer up suffering as atonement/for special request etc. It's just taken a bit farther than lough derg or going up croagh patrick in the bare feet. I think they have flagellants as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

To be brutally honest I reckon the Church only disapproves because they didn't think of monetising it before it caught on, and now they can't do anything about it that won't lose them money or members.

Sarky wrote: »
    To be brutally honest I reckon the Church only disapproves because they didn't think of monetising it before it caught on, and now they can't do anything about it that won't lose them money or members.

It's because it lacks priests in charge. This is always taken badly. The Church was greatly against the whole rosary thing originally for much the same reason, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

"Two years ago, I said it would be the last time I'd do it. But every time I say that, my wife gets sick. I guess God wants me to continue this sacrifice as a lifetime vow.

Meanwhile at home the missus is talking to herself: "Why U no take me to doctor, husband? I very sick today."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

gctest50 wrote: »
    Is that an Archos mp3 player he has ?
    bnt wrote: »
    No, it's a wireless transmitter for the mike near his mouth.
    I reckon its an mp3 player continously repeating a track of Daniel 'O Donnell singing the Ave Maria. Just 'cos the crucifixion on its own wouldn't be painful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Philippines1.jpg

Ruben Enaje, 52, who is portraying Jesus Christ for the 27th time, screams as he hangs on a wooden cross during a Good Friday crucifixion re-enactment in San Pedro Cutud town, Pampanga province, north of Manila March 29, 2013.
    TWO dozen Filipinos were nailed to crosses today in an extreme display of devotion that the Catholic church looks down upon as a form of folk religion but appears powerless to stop.

'Catholic church' and 'powerless' are not words you see often in the same sentence. The Vatican understands that this is publicity.

"With great power comes great responsibility." Spiderman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

recedite wrote: »
    I reckon its an mp3 player continously repeating a track of Daniel 'O Donnell singing the Ave Maria. Just 'cos the crucifixion on its own wouldn't be painful enough.

A drunk Daniel slurring the words...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Pherekydes wrote: »
    How amusingly ironic!

I guess they skipped the part where they flogged him to within an inch of his life and at the end of the crucifixion the part where they rammed a spear into his side?

Don't forget part of crucifixion is to break the legs - saw it on Discivery Channel (gives inability to hold own body weight and crushes the lungs - causing suffication) - Jesus got away with the leg break cos he was already dead - this guy is shirking his responsibilities to reanactment...

thebiglad wrote: »
    Don't forget part of crucifixion is to break the legs - saw it on Discivery Channel (gives inability to hold own body weight and crushes the lungs - causing suffication) - Jesus got away with the leg break cos he was already dead - this guy is shirking his responsibilities to reanactment...

Not his fault. The wife told him if he went and got his legs broke, he wasn't to come running back to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This story comes up every year. I'm surprised people have not heard of this before.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

thebiglad wrote: »

Where is the lance?

480px-Fra_Angelico_027.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Where is the lance?

Banned for life!:pac:

Advertisement