Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

snaphook wrote: »
    He won't be joining us for the rest of his life.

RIP.
    Ha Ha. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭doubledown

Make-up legend Dick Smith has passed away. His credits included The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Exorcist and Little Big Man to name a few.

He was a genius. Even to this day most people think De Niro shaved his head for the final reel of Taxi Driver. He didn't - it was a skull cap made by Smith with a fake mohawk attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was lucky enough to do a course under him and he was just amazing. Hell of a talent and a great guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another Starburst favourite gone!

Smith one of an amazing generation of prosthetic/make up effects men - along with guys like Carlo Rambaldi, Rick Baker, Rob Bottin, Germano Natali and of course Tom Savini.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

doubledown wrote: »
    Make-up legend Dick Smith has passed away. His credits included The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Exorcist and Little Big Man to name a few.

He was a genius. Even to this day most people think De Niro shaved his head for the final reel of Taxi Driver. He didn't - it was a skull cap made by Smith with a fake mohawk attached.

A makeup genius is right, Max Von Sydow was in his 30s in The Exorcist, he looks as old now as he did in that.

• Advertisement

Menahem Golan one of the godfathers of B movie cinema died yesterday. There's a documentary out in the coming weeks about him and Globus and Cannon studios

As a teenager of the 80s Menahem Golan has a very small place in my trash culture heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

doubledown wrote: »

That's what I thought, until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Menahem Golan one of the godfathers of B movie cinema died yesterday. There's a documentary out in the coming weeks about him and Globus and Cannon studios
    As a teenager of the 80s Menahem Golan has a very small place in my trash culture heart!

RIP.

Off to watch The Delta Force and American Ninja now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

British-born character actor Charles Keating. Among others, played on-the-make Rex Mottram in the wonderful 'Brideshead Revisited' (TV).

• Advertisement

Lauren Bacall. They don't make 'em like this any more. Just 19 when she went toe-to-toe with Humphrey Bogart

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a great obituary for her in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/13/lauren-bacall-obituary

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP Lauren Bacall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Brian G. Hutton has died, aged 79. Director of arguably the greatest men-on-a-mission movie ever made, Where Eagles Dare, the effortlessly likeable WWII hokum that is Kelly's Heroes, cult classic Night Watch and the often overlooked High Road to China.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, The Bothy Band, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Sir Richard Attenborough : August 29, 1923 - August 24 2014

One of the greats and great lovies of cinema has died at 90.

Actor and then director, he'll always be "Big X" on a bank holiday weekend, though his best performance may well be as John Christie in 10 Rillington Place.

Shadowlands is my favourite of his directed films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Actor and then director, he'll always be "Big X" on a bank holiday weekend, though his best performance may well be as John Christie in 10 Rillington Place.

I think that was a hoax?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭bnt

red dave wrote: »
    I think that was a hoax?
    Not a hoax, sadly. Big enough news for its own thread. :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Shadowlands is my favourite of his directed films

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

bnt wrote: »
    Not a hoax, sadly. Big enough news for its own thread. :(

Ahh dammit :(

Stephen Lee has died probably known more for tv roles RIP http://news-briefs.ew.com/2014/08/27/stephen-lee-dead/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Eurgh, I remember his part in Robocop 2 when I was a kid where he was being sliced open while still alive.

Bill Kerr, solid Aussie actor. Stern uncle Jack who coaches Mark Lee in Gallipoli, also had a part in Year of Living Dangerously etc.

Andrew V. McLaglen, the director of such fare as The Wild Geese, McLintock!, Ffolkes, Cahill U.S. Marshal and Bandolero! passed away yesterday. Nice piece on him in the NY Times.

Gottfried John. German actor with distinctive sharp face. Appearances in Proof of Life, Goldeneye, TV series Game, Set and Match.

Andrew V. McLaglen, the director of such fare as The Wild Geese, McLintock!, Ffolkes, Cahill U.S. Marshal and Bandolero! passed away yesterday. Nice piece on him in the NY Times.

Must say I have a soft spot for McLaughlans "shoot first" macho nonsense. While the westerns are largely a much of a muchness his flourish as the director of British "proto Expendables" old geezer adventure films was most enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Richard Kiel best know as Jaws from James Bonds “The Spy Who Loved Me” and “Moonraker,” and Adam Sandler “Happy Gilmore,” passed away.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/james-bond-villain-richard-kiel-dies-at-74-1201303251/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,422 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Richard Kiel (who played the villain Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker) passed away yesterday aged 74.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/sep/11/richard-kiel-jaws-actor-from-james-bond-dead-at-74-reports

Richard Kiel best know as Jaws from James Bonds “The Spy Who Loved Me” and “Moonraker,” and Adam Sandler “Happy Gilmore,” passed away.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/james-bond-villain-richard-kiel-dies-at-74-1201303251/

I thought Adam Sandler had died :o

RIP Richard Kiel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought Adam Sandler had died :o

RIP Richard Kiel

Well his career certainly has! RIP Richard Kiel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Stefan Gierasch - like Richard Kiel, another Silver Streak alumni - died during the week.
    He appeared in Jeremiah Johnson, Carrie and High Plains Drifter.
    He was also great as the hotel manager in What's Up, Doc?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, The Bothy Band, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Advertisement