Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday traditions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    We did growing up anyway .

Interesting - I know for sure we always ate meat on Friday anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Usually, I'm working. Today I'm off, for a change, That's about it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

That's not odd. The UK would be predominantly Protestant. Protestants also believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus.

I have been told on more than one occasion that Jesus was a catholic. Telling those people that actually he was Jewish has no effect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

nursing a massive hangover after my mates wedding yesterday, the wife is still drunk. mc donalds double quarter pounder here we come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I don't get all the atheists who make a specific point of eating meat on Good Friday. In a way, you're still allowing the Church to dictate what you eat, even if you're doing the opposite of what they're suggesting.

Just eat whatever you want. If you do that, the Church is exercising far less control over your life.

That's so true. Some people are trying to hard! We normally eat whatever we want on Good Friday but we do like fish and my mum got loads of it from her friend who's a fish monger this year.

So today we're having fish but only because we want to. :P

Unlike the sale of alcohol restriction, there is no law preventing us from eating meat and no public pressure. Fish is usually cheaper this time of year as well (to maximize sales) so it makes financial sense as well to buy it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Steve O wrote: »
    Do you like puffin ?

If I asked my local butcher for a nice breast of Puffin he'd attack me with the meat cleaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Gonna eat a pizza and go to a houseparty tonight. Awwwwwwwwww yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

For the last few years my friends have had a massive good friday BBQ/session. What went down particularly well last year were my "Lamb of God" kabobs. I was planning on forming "Manger Meatballs" with mince and a mould your own nativity set, but thought the structural integrity of the meat Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus figurines wouldn't be sufficient. Any suggestions for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I think you can eat fish because it was Jesus most favourite food.
    He loved to unwind by going out for a days fishing with a nice jug of red wine as well.

I think you can eat fish because it was Jesus most favourite food.
    He loved to unwind by going out for a days fishing with a nice jug of red wine as well.

I never heard about that, tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

As a matter of interest, why is fish OK but not meat? :confused:

(Genuine question! Coming from a meat-eating atheist. I don't see what the difference is ...?)

It's to do with the spilling of blood on a day were Catholics remember that Christ spilled his blood for all people, so they take it upon themselves in a symbolic sense to not take part in activity that is reminiscent of this, like cooking/eating meat.

Secondly, I believe that it's voluntary to not eat meat (as is every Friday) and it's done as a penance, but it may be obligatory for able-bodied, healthy adults. I'm not sure though on that point.

Lars1916 wrote: »

You never heard the story of the loaves and the fishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, and wasn't his favourite film "There's something about Mary"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

It has become my tradition to do as little work as possible on good Friday,

then I go home and go on the piss...

You never heard the story of the loaves and the fishes?

I did, but I can't remember, I ate himself that certain day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A symbol of a fish is often used to represent Jesus in Christianity. Many of the apostles were also fishermen, is this anything to do with the Good Friday tradition I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, and wasn't his favourite film "There's something about Mary"?

Sure everybody knows Jesus's favourite film was Life of Brian

Usually play a round of golf with a friend or two which I did this morning now relax for the rest of the day. I won't be eating meat or drinking today. There will be plenty drank tomorrow and Sunday nights.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would usually have a beer and steak night with friends on Good Friday, unfortunately this year I'm sick and on quite a lot of medication so I get to sit at home and watch the Munster match with Irish language commentary and a bottle of ginger ale. Fun times...

At least there was some of the flesh of the swine consumed today...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The only time you shouldn't eat meat is when you can't afford it !

• Advertisement

The only time you shouldn't eat meat is when you can't afford it !

You can get pre-packed meat for a decent price in some discounters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Usually play a round of golf with a friend or two which I did this morning now relax for the rest of the day. I won't be eating meat or drinking today. There will be plenty drank tomorrow and Sunday nights.
    Presumably you're abstaining as a result of instruction from the Church. Why do you think this is necessary but it's alright to drink excessively on any other day of the year?

From the CCC:
    2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a5.htm

I did, but I can't remember, I ate himself that certain day ;)
    It was a cool stunt, he magicked up hundreds of loaves and fishes from a small bag to feed a hungry crowd of groupies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We used to do the fish thing anyway in my family, just because it was an excuse to eat some fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Mass is never celebrated on Good Friday.

Well it's a mass all the same isn't it or do you just like being pedantic?

They hardly go to watch Eastenders now do they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Getting hammered.

Just ask Jesus. Has the first person ever to get hammered on Good Friday !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Quote:
    Originally Posted by padd b1975
    Mass is never celebrated on Good Friday.
    Well it's a mass all the same isn't it or do you just like being pedantic?

Padd b 1975 is not being pedantic - there's no Mass on Good Friday, just a service of the Presanctified because Communion which had already been consecrated on Holy Thursday is given to the people. More a service than a Mass.

Don't give out to me, I'm just saying.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Have a few beers, be it 3 or a nights out worth, just to make a point tbh. Been doing that since 2008 I think, try to get a bit of meat in my dinner too :P:D

It was a cool stunt, he magicked up hundreds of loaves and fishes from a small bag to feed a hungry crowd of groupies.

Isn't sorcery and magic a mortal sin? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

..... how to make a good day great??

Advertisement