Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasgow Warriors vs Munster, Friday 29 March 8:05pm; TG4/BBC ALBA

Options
  • 28-03-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Glasgow Warriors team to play Munster in Round 19 of the RaboDirect PRO12, Scotstoun Stadium, Friday 29 March (kick-off, 8.05pm):

15 Stuart Hogg
    14 Sean Maitland
    13 Sean Lamont
    12 Peter Horne
    11 DTH van der Merwe
    10 Ruaridh Jackson
    9 Niko Matawalu

1 Ryan Grant
    2 Pat MacArthur
    3 Jon Welsh
    4 Tim Swinson
    5 Al Kellock (Captain)
    6 Josh Strauss
    7 John Barclay
    8 Ryan Wilson

16 Dougie Hall
    17 Ofa Fainga'anuku
    18 Moray Low
    19 Tom Ryder
    20 Rob Harley
    21 Henry Pyrgos
    22 Duncan Weir
    23 Mark Bennett

Not available for selection through injury:
    M Cusack (shoulder), C Cusiter (shoulder), A Dunbar (knee), C Fusaro (groin), F Gillies (neck), R Lamont (ankle), T Seymour (knee).

Glasgow's internationals return en masse for this fixture, with the likes of Hogg and Maitland in the backline. One interesting selection sees Ruaridh Jackson in ahead of Duncan Weir at 10. A strong side all round.
    Changes have been kept to a minimum for Munster's trip to Glasgow and the RaboDirect PRO12 clash at Scotstoun tomorrow evening where they are expecting their biggest crowd of the League.

In the backline Johne Murphy comes onto the wing in place of the injured Denis Hurley while this time around Duncan Williams starts with Cathal Sheridan on the bench.

In the pack, changes from last day see Mike Sherry and BJ Botha ahead of Damien Varley and Stephen Archer respectively with Paddy Butler into the back row for the injured (knee) Sean Dougall.

Hurley who tweaked a hamstring in the Connacht game didn’t feel entirely happy with it after this week's training session and was withdrawn from consideration

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/11742.php

Munster:
    F Jones; D Howlett Capt., C Laulala, J Downey, J Murphy; R O’Gara, D Williams;
    D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, BJ Botha; Donncha O’Callaghan, P O’Connell; P Butler, T O’Donnell, J Coughlan.

Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, S Archer, B Holland, N Ronan, C Sheridan, I Keatley, I Dineen

Denis Hurley and Sean Dougall out injured. Ryan, POM and Murray to return next week, along with Zebo hopefully!

Williams over Sheridan is a strange one, although maybe Penney is giving Williams a chance to earn the bench spot next week (I wouldn't give him another opportunity myself!). IMO Sheridan is a superior option and it's silly that he isn't starting this.

It's clear that ROG will start against Harlequins, Keatley has only got 10/15 minutes at fullback in each of the last two games (Ospreys & Connacht). ROG was decent last week so hopefully he can put in another good showing this week.

Glasgow are temporarily increasing Scotstoun's capacity in order to cater for demand, so it should be a bumper crowd in attendance. Glasgow were unlucky not to win last week and IMO Munster are up against it. You'd have to think Glasgow will be comfortable favourites, it's a massive game for them in the context of the playoffs and earning a home semi-final. Munster are more or less out of the running in the league so this is all about delivering an encouraging performance and coming through unscathed, with hopefully some important players being available for the quarter-final.

For those that want to add BBC ALBA, details for adding it as a channel on Sky here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055038749
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/sat_frequencies.shtml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

i'm certain now that Penney wasn't starting ROG because of pressure from the IRFU. He's made that decision himself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

i'm certain now that Penney wasn't starting ROG because of pressure from the IRFU. He's made that decision himself here.

That card can't be played by anyone now alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

What pisses me off most about the persistance with ROG is having Keatley on the bench but only ever bringing him on at 15. He deserves a chance to stake a place for the quarter at ten

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Glasgow side to face Munster:

15 Stuart Hogg
    14 Sean Maitland
    13 Sean Lamont
    12 Peter Horne
    11 DTH van der Merwe
    10 Ruaridh Jackson
    9 Niko Matawalu

1 Ryan Grant
    2 Pat MacArthur
    3 Jon Welsh
    4 Tim Swinson
    5 Al Kellock (Captain)
    6 Josh Strauss
    7 John Barclay
    8 Ryan Wilson

16 Dougie Hall
    17 Ofa Fainga'anuku
    18 Moray Low
    19 Tom Ryder
    20 Rob Harley
    21 Henry Pyrgos
    22 Duncan Weir
    23 Mark Bennett

Glasgow team added to OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can't see Munster beating that side.

Botha has a chance to reclaim his spot up against Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

TG4 are showing it as well.

Glasgow team added to OP

Given how good they were last week and with the inclusion of Maitland and Hogg this could be a really tough encounter for Munster. There's some quality on their bench too. Munster could really do Leinster a favour this weekend, but I'd have to go with Glasgow by 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Super backline by Glasgow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Think Glasgow will get the bonus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

100%

Deano7788 wrote: »
    TG4 are showing it as well.

Indeed it is, oddly the Munster and Pro12 websites only state BBC ALBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I think the packs will be fairly even but there is a serious lack of pace in the Munster backline outside of Jones. I think Glasgow will win fairly comfortably unfortunately.

Think Glasgow will get the bonus point.

Possibly, but it'll be a much tighter game than last week. Leinster fell off a lot of tackles and weren't great in the contact generally. In the first half in particular. Munster won't make the same mistake and Glasgow will find it harder to get the kind of territory they got last week as a result.

I don't see Glasgow getting a BP. Don't think we've shipped many this year and our defense is pretty good. It's our attack that will let us down

Very hard to see a Munster win here.
    Glasgow are bloody good.

And Munster are quite often poor the week before a HEC game .

trouttrout wrote: »
    I don't see Glasgow getting a BP. Don't think we've shipped many this year and our defense is pretty good. It's our attack that will let us down

this

In terms of tries, both sides have conceded the same number over the 18 league games so far (23 tries conceded). However Glasgow have scored 53 while Munster have scored 34. 21 tries is a significant difference!

Source: http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/table.php

Begs three questions: poor judgement from Penney?
    ROG maybe not as bad as he's made out to be on here?
    Or keatley still not up to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

There's an interview with Murray in the Times today that indicates he would be playing this weekend, a bit odd. I'd have thought a game against one of the top sides in the league would be ideal preparation for the HC QFs?

The ROG selection was entirely predictable, I'm not sure there was ever any real reason to think he was being picked for Munster at the behest of Kidney, but it's another nail in the coffin for the expansive game plan initially touted by Penney.

Can't see past a Glasgow win here I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

durkadurka wrote: »

IMO for the big matches Keatleys kicking from the tee can be a tad dodgy while the rest of his game is good. I really feel if Penney picked him and stuck with him it would improve his game but maybe the coaches feel his head isn't right for big games.

Or maybe ROG suits Penneys game more? He certainly plays a more lateral game than Keatley does, who has a tendancy to actually threaten the line in midfield.
    mohawk wrote: »
    IMO for the big matches Keatleys kicking from the tee can be a tad dodgy while the rest of his game is good. I really feel if Penney picked him and stuck with him it would improve his game but maybe the coaches feel his head isn't right for big games.

It's not going to get right from the bench.

Keatley is not struggling with the boot

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/statzone/rhino_golden_boot.php

35/40 in the Rabo so far.

HEC
    1/1 vs Racing Metro
    5/6 vs Edinburgh
    2/6 vs Racing Metro second time

1 bad day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

If it wasn't bad enough seeing ROG's name on the sheet, but seeing who'll be pasing him the ball, looks like this game is over before its starts. Joke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If ROG has actually been better than Keatley this year then I truly know nothing about rugby.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If ROG has actually been better than Keatley this year then I truly know nothing about rugby.

So you're blaming Penneys judgement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Podge_irl wrote: »

At least your not a Munster fan you can happily watch Leinster with the knowledge Joe knows what he is doing. Imagine how it feels for a Munster fan to see ROG partnered with Duncan Williams on a team sheet the week before a HC QF. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Its sick that Keatley hasn't been given any chance. I can't understand it. This only times we've clicked and played well this season hvae been with Keats running the show. This doesn't make sense to me on any level except blindly selecting a player based on reputation. ROG starting against Quinns will be a real black mark against Penney in my book.

If ROG is getting a one year extension as rumoured, you'd wonder if Ian Keatley would prefer to be in Jimmy Gopperth's shoes next season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So you're blaming Penneys judgement ?

Yes. I think he's had an iffy first season in general and I'm not quite sure what he's trying to do.

Though as mentioned above ROG does somewhat suit the 'get the ball out to the locks on the wings as quickly as possible without committing any defenders in midfield' game plan that Munster appear to be aiming for.

Advertisement