Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the fastest man in the world ever run 100m in 1 second?

Options
  • 28-03-2013 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Assuming that records are just going to keep getting broken, Will the fastest man in the world be 9 foot tall at some stage, and will it ever be ran in 1 second?

When i was 7, i knew a guy who said he could run 10 miles per hour, he also told me he was able to run from my gaff, to the village (roughly, just less than a mile) in 20 seconds. Unfortunately i don't know him anymore, or where he lives, or anything about him. But will that be the norm for kids of the future?

Will we need fast cars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

SV wrote: »
    No. Just no.

We won't need fast cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

lay off the meth op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

No, but I wonder will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark...

Allyall wrote: »
    We won't need fast cars?

We don't need them now.
    but no, the 100metres will never be done in 1 second by a human being.

Actually..I don't think it'll ever be done by anything, man or machine, from a stand start.

• Advertisement

We don't need them now.

prove it.

Why not?

It would have to be one step?..

Not if you're super-fast.

prove it.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

We don't need them now.

Actually..I don't think it'll ever be done by anything, man or machine, from a stand start.
    What about a teleport machine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not a man, but a robot... a black robot. Yes!

Tearwave wrote: »
    What about a teleport machine

Then they wouldn't be running it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

physics says no.

I edited too late..

If they were (what we call now) - Super -fast..

They would be awesome running machines (People)

And they could run 100m in 1 second?

Why not?

Then they wouldn't be running it?
    What if they run into and out of the teleport machine. You won't win this argument I literally have all night.

I edited too late..

If they were (what we call now) - Super -fast..

They would be awesome running machines (People)

And they could run 100m in 1 second?

Why not?

To be running at 100metres a second you'd have to be doing over 230mph or 360kmh.
    That's not counting the acceleration either.

I don't think the world will survive long enough to see evolution of that kind.
    What if they run into and out of the teleport machine. You won't win this argument I literally have all night.

The end result is still them teleporting.
    They'd have to run from the start to the end point for it to be valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If you could bend space time on a whim, then it could be done, theoretically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I'd say there's a machine out there today that could give it a shot. Something like a Formula 1 car or some of those dragster race cars except super souped up. It's definitely possible if something was designed to do it though.

If they got their speed from drugs/hit by lightning/radiation..

The end result is still them teleporting.
    They'd have to run from the start to the end point for it to be valid.
    A reasonable argument, but they would be in a constant state of "running" during teleportation. Hence they are running from the start to the end point. The teleport device just "speeds up" the running, if you catch my drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

retalivity wrote: »
    physics says no.

Physics actually says yes on this one

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I'd say there's a machine out there today that could give it a shot. Something like a Formula 1 car or some of those dragster race cars except super souped up. It's definitely possible if something was designed to do it though.
    Actually yeah, to be fair I forgot about the high speed dragsters that exist.
    If they got their speed from drugs/hit by lightning/radiation..

The first one, I dunno what kind of drugs would have that affect. The second two might kill ya rather than make you run really fast?
    A reasonable argument, but they would be in a constant state of "running" during teleportation. Hence they are running from the start to the end point. The teleport device just "speeds up" the running, if you catch my drift.
    That's true, but they still didn't run the whole thing. They teleported. That's just the be all and end all of it really, even if ya do have all night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Interesting thread.

One word OP: Effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

That's not far of the top speed of the Bugatti Veyron.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

100m in 1 second ?

that's 360Kmh

That's literally faster than a speeding locomotive. Faster than any non-electric train.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Already happened. Here is a documentary on the man.

So so sad :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Will the fastest man in the world ever run 100m in 1 second?

Sexist pig!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

nocoverart wrote: »
    Not a man, but a robot... a black robot. Yes!

Ignorance!

The correct term is African American Robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I can ejaculate 100 m in less than 1 second

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Assuming that records are just going to keep getting broken, Will the fastest man in the world be 9 foot tall at some stage, and will it ever be ran in 1 second?

When i was 7, i knew a guy who said he could run 10 miles per hour, he also told me he was able to run from my gaff, to the village (roughly, just less than a mile) in 20 seconds. Unfortunately i don't know him anymore, or where he lives, or anything about him. But will that be the norm for kids of the future?

Will we need fast cars?

What kind of a fcukin tool spends their time writing this tripe?

Go out and get some hole for yourself would you.

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Humans aren't getting faster. If anything, we're getting slower on average. Our ancestors would have run long distances chasing down prey. There is no evolutionary advantage to being a faster runner today, and no selective pressures for it. The only reason why we have faster runners at a competitive level is because training techniques have improved, equipment and clothing has improved, understanding of nutrition has improved and performance enhancing drugs are rampant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Yes, I believe 100m in 1 second will be achieved by the fastest man in the world, not today or even tomorrow, but perhaps next week when it's a bit warmer.

Advertisement