Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 6 - "The Bells of Saint John"

Options
  • 27-03-2013 9:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I should be looking forward to Easter to begin with, but Easter with new series of Doctor Who & Game of Thrones? Jackpot.

So: Clara returns, albeit living in modern times. Will we learn what/who she is? Oh god no, it's guaranteed we'll be teased a little longer on that score, but no doubt there'll be a few hints or eyebrow-wiggling from the script.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Doctor Who is back, and pixelburp is starting the thread for discussing the upcoming episode

All is right with the world again :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pixel bee, you complete me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, what can I say: I have my uses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

It's time!!! Eeeeeekkkk!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Was looking forward to this, but it turned out to be probably the worst episode I have seen.
    Very poor start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

That was awesome!!

Who is 'the woman in the shop' who gave the Tardis number to Clara??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I loved it. Thought it was fun. The
    riding up the Shard on the motorbike
    should have been cheezy but I thought it was just plain fun. And is it me or does Clara look deadly in a morotbike helmet ;)

On a side note. without giving anything away: BBC must have SOME security. I did NOT expect that on the screen towards the end!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Decent if not spectacular episode - Internet portrayals on TV always roll my eyes (and yes somehow still on a show with Doctor Who's attention to realism!) One of Moffat's weaker entries but had some good moments. Looks like the Great Intelligence is a potential season enemy.

Interesting moments with Clara. Why was one of her ages (23) missing from her book for example? That was shown for a reason. And the leaf presumably meaning something else.
    MMAGirl wrote: »
    it turned out to be probably the worst episode I have seen.
    If that's the worst you've seen then I've got to ask: How many episodes have you seen? Many weaker episodes in the show's revival run and nowhere near the nadir of "Fear Her".

On a side note. without giving anything away: BBC must have SOME security. I did NOT expect that on the screen towards the end!

I clearly missed something...

I hope we all noticed the book the boy was reading at the start
    (from which the freaky girl spawned from)
    was written by 'Amelia Williams' :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

It was good but not great by any stretch. The sonic screwdriver is bugging me with it's constant ability to solve everything. Watch some of the old episodes, Tom Baker for example, and it's rarely seen, and then when it is it seems more of an event. I like Matt Smith though, and Jenna is amusing already. She has that cheeky, Impish little smirk. I think I'm gonna like her.

Not sure it lived up to the hype though. But then there's always so much hype for the new series so I probably shouldn't be too surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was looking forward to this, but it turned out to be probably the worst episode I have seen.
    Very poor start.

5UupTg.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What? What did I miss?

I didn't notice the age thing :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very poor start.

You need to watch more Who then :)

I thought it was enjoyable and disposable & there's nothing wrong with that; there's definite chemistry between Smith and Coleman so the back & forth was fun.

The story itself in these kind of episodes is ultimately secondary to the introduction of the new character, but it was still interesting t o see the Great Intelligence return, and the plot safely stuck to the standard Who trope of making the everyday seem menacing.

I thought there might be some hint of Claras past selves, so it was strange that nothing overt was done. Onwards and upwards I say.
    bluewolf wrote:
    What? What did I miss?

I didn't notice the age thing

The screen showed the Great Intelligence, or more specifically Richard E Grants face playing that role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pixelburp wrote: »

I thought there might be some hint of Claras past selves, so it was strange that nothing overt was done. Onwards and upwards I say.

Well, there was Oswin and the nanny bit... and the run you clever boy...

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well, there was Oswin and the nanny bit... and the run you clever boy...

Well I meant there might have been more hinting at what she was, but hey we got 8 more episodes for that :)

ixoy wrote: »
    If that's the worst you've seen then I've got to ask: How many episodes have you seen?

All of them. Massive fan. Even got on the set of one a few years ago. Fantastic experience. Still very disappointed with this episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I loved it. Thought it was fun. The
    riding up the Shard on the motorbike
    should have been cheezy but I thought it was just plain fun. And is it me or does Clara look deadly in a morotbike helmet ;)

WEll she would if it weren't for the fact we could see the flippen film crew in the helmet in every shot.
    As for BBC security, they slipped up last week by putting up the cast list including that actor and their new character, took it down within a couple of hours but too late.

Oh in case you're wondering about Earls Court.

http://goo.gl/maps/LmZv7

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

All of them. Massive fan. Even got on the set of one a few years ago. Fantastic experience. Still very disappointed with this episode though.
    All 33 seasons or just the relaunched one? It's not the best episode but really what made it worse than, of recent years, "Fear Her"? If it's all the seasons then I'm even more surprised given some of the quality out there...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Actually I rather enjoyed it. Fun episode, though a bit of over clever camera work, that hopefully will lay the foundation to an interesting second part of the season.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    All 33 seasons or just the relaunched one? It's not the best episode but really what made it worse than, of recent years, "Fear Her"? If it's all the seasons then I'm even more surprised given some of the quality out there...

I've seen them all. Tom Baker was the Doctor when I was first old enough to watch on telly. In the video and internet age you can watch them all.
    Fair enough there have been other bad ones over the years, but this one was very, very poor. And I definitely think this one was the worst of the new who.
    Each to their own I guess. Wasnt for me, but i'm not saying that others wont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I used to love Moffat but he has become so obsessed with making big brash cinematic episodes he forgets to write actual decent stories. It had moment but overall I was not impressed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was wondering about that myself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sally Sparrow?

Rose worked in a shop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I enjoyed it, as opening series episodes go I thought it was on of the better ones. Time flew past quickly as well, always a good sign for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Very poor start.

Then I would advise that you watch Closing Time, you might revise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I kinda thought it might have been River. She knows the doctor needs a companion but can't do it herself. She also knows the tardis really well so may have been able to get the phone to work

bradyle wrote: »
    I kinda thought it might have been River. She knows the doctor needs a companion but can't do it herself. She also knows the tardis really well so may have been able to get the phone to work

I did consider River as well. I think her or Sally Sparrow are more likely than Rose. Rose didn't work in that kind of shop where she'd be asked techie questions, and also, you know, the minor detail of her being trapped in an alternate universe makes it seem unlikely. Even Sally is unlikely I think really; she wouldn't have known the Tardis number, would she? And she may be too obscure for something like this. At the moment, River could be the strongest contender, but even so, I have my doubts....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I would prefer River's story to be told, for a while. They gave her character full arc, with the Ponds.
    Problem with Sally is that Carey Mulligan is off in Hollywoodland.
    The Doctor has aged several decades over the last season or two so has had plenty of time to meet up with Sparrow again. She owns a shop (dvd store) so not too much of a push to move to electronics/computers taking in digital download market etc. She also had the "non working" phone pointed out to her

Advertisement