Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 smithweiser

So here is a piece of advice.

If you booked a flight to canada via west jet airlines from Dublin , it stops in St Johns for refuel and immigration. which can mean you can miss your onward flight

I was only coming over for a holiday visa as i didn't get the working holiday visa, But that did not stop the immigration official from interrigating me like i was a fugitive, Did not matter that i had a return flight in a few weeks, They go through all your personal stuff took out my laptop made me log in , they went through all my emails and took my phone checked all my text messages ,swabbed my bags for drugs and to find any evidence of illigal activity, which there was none, but a massive invasion of privacy which i found out that they have full right to do so.

I eventually got the all clear but had to get the airline to rebook me through all the way to vancouver , all in all it took me 30 hours to get here, Horrible experience

So here is a piece of info.

If you booked a flight to canada via west jet airlines from Dublin , it stops in St Johns for refuel and immigration. which can mean you can miss your onward flight

I was only coming over for a holiday visa as i didn't get the working holiday visa, But that did not stop the immigration official from interrigating me like i was a fugitive, Did not matter that i had a return flight in a few weeks, They go through all your personal stuff took out my laptop made me log in , they went through all my emails and took my phone checked all my text messages ,swabbed my bags for drugs and to find any evidence of illigal activity, which there was none, but a massive invasion of privacy which i found out that they have full right to do so.

I eventually got the all clear but had to get the airline to rebook me through all the way to vancouver , all in all it took me 30 hours to get here, Horrible experience

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shooter7

So here is a piece of info.

Terrified this could happen to me as well. Was it just you that missed your flight? I'm going with west jet via st johns as well and then on to Calgary. I have a place in the quota but still hasn't been processed so going to wait for it over there as a visitor (provided they let me in). Did everybody get the same treatment as you, or were you picked out of the crowd at random to get more of a grilling than everybody else?

Shooter7 wrote: »
    Terrified this could happen to me as well. Was it just you that missed your flight? I'm going with west jet via st johns as well and then on to Calgary. I have a place in the quota but still hasn't been processed so going to wait for it over there as a visitor (provided they let me in). Did everybody get the same treatment as you, or were you picked out of the crowd at random to get more of a grilling than everybody else?

I was exactly the same. Do not mention you applied for the visa and didn't get it, that was my mistake, Because then they thought i was going to work illegally, i am here now just for a 6 week holiday as my girlfriend is here. Make sure you erase any information about visa application from your laptop or phone. Also make sure you have a return flight, i did but if you did not i would say it would be a straight no entry and turn you around.

The Dublin Westjet route is only new about 2 weeks old ,So the airport is tiny and the immigeration officers are pure Evil i say that not in jest but i have never encountered such hostillity in all my years of travelling. I am a I.T professional for 15 years in Ireland never had any problems in my life travelling and have never encountered such crap.

Westjet themselves were very helpful they have no control over immigration and rebooked my flight 5 hours later so i can't complain about them, although they don't give you any food on the plane so bring a dinner snack,

Shooter7 wrote: »

about 7 of us Irish missed our onward flight because of immigration in St Johns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Klinoc

just a quick question for anyone who will know.
    I have a conditional letter of acceptence, expires on july first. ive setup a CIC account, but have not submitted or uploaded anything yet for my application through that(CIC).

I'm thinking of cancelling my application outright as im hoping to go to college and dont want to waste this if i get in to college and not be able do it in couple years.
    so can i still cancel my application AND get money back or whats the story with it?

about 7 of us Irish missed our onward flight because of immigration in St Johns

Bollox! Will have to be on the ball when I get there! Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

CAL came last night!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jaybommber

Very Very Upset
    Got conditional letter of accept but needed to send fingerprints still waiting on those since march 29th.. rang rcmp and wrote, they responded by telling me it could take 120 days..so had to upload by june 26th so i uploaded a letter asking for an extension until i get prints back and sent the e mail i got from rcmp.. got a letter today saying my application was refused and that i had not uploaded on time and i had lost my place and application for a work permit was rejected..

I applied for a extension work permit through my partner of 10 yrs who is on the iec young professionals via advise from irish embassy to buy us 8 weeks.. should hear back in a month.. will that be denied?
    can i apply for a visitors visa stop work and stay till sept as we want to travel before we go back to ireland?
    or will that get rejected as well?
    oh god i dont know what to do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Luciferrr

Just got my CAL so hoping everyone waiting to hear, hears soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Neverlaydown

Luciferrr wrote: »
    Just got my CAL so hoping everyone waiting to hear, hears soon :)

That's great nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Neverlaydown

That's great nearly there.

Did you get your P.O.E yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dogg2

Hi All

I am moving to Calgary next month and wanted to see if anyone on here has moved or is going to move to Calgary. Do you know of a good website to get in touch with other Irish in this city especially when it comes to looking for fellow Irish to live with over there

Thanks!

Dogg2 wrote: »
    Hi All I am moving to Calgary next month and wanted to see if anyone on here has moved or is going to move to Calgary. Do you know of a good website to get in touch with other Irish in this city especially when it comes to looking for fellow Irish to live with over there Thanks!

If you're on Facebook look up "Irish in Calgary"

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dogg2

Just applied to the page there now thanks

3800 members. Plenty of Irish over there it seems

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Snuggie

Hi I'm moving to Calgary with my husband and baby in September. Feel free to PM me. I looked up the Irish in Calgary Facebook but do you have to be invited to join? I sent a request but nothing happened so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Grainne Mc

Hi, did anyone on 2014 waiting list get theirs recently? My WTN number is 009388 and I haven't heard anything and on the IEC website is says that the Working Holiday is OPEN!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Grainne Mc wrote: »
    Hi, did anyone on 2014 waiting list get theirs recently? My WTN number is 009388 and I haven't heard anything and on the IEC website is says that the Working Holiday is OPEN!!!!

yeah it is open
    but its waiting list !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Harryeve

Hi been in Calgary 4 months find it very boring and very exspensive unless u have a trade or highly skilled job it's hard to get by. I'm in a good paid job and still find it hard. Anyone moving over with a family I'd do plenty of research before coming. I planned to come here and start a family I honestly don't see myself staying here longer than a year. I've lived in other country's before just something missing from this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bear83

I'm asking this on behalf of my friend who was on the waiting list but has been notified he can now proceed with his kompass application.
    However he's fairly sure he already paid the fee. Is it correct he must now pay again and this time its $150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Bear83 wrote: »
    I'm asking this on behalf of my friend who was on the waiting list but has been notified he can now proceed with his kompass application.
    However he's fairly sure he already paid the fee. Is it correct he must now pay again and this time its $150
    id say he didnt pay the fee then because you need to be sucessful with within the quota to be asked to pay if hes only been asked to proceeed then id be sure he didnt but who knows . but good chance he didnt if he did he have receipt of paying

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Harryeve

Bear83 wrote: »

You only pay once if he got his cal then he has already paid. You need the cal to finish the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

id say he didnt pay the fee then because you need to be sucessful with within the quota to be asked to pay if hes only been asked to proceeed then id be sure he didnt but who knows . but good chance he didnt if he did he have receipt of paying

Plus it was $150CAD at every stage this year, not sure why her friend thinks the cost has gone up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Grainne Mc wrote: »

I just got an offer of a place this afternoon I was on the waiting list.

stevie1122 wrote: »
    I just got an offer of a place this afternoon I was on the waiting list.

Me too 9380, So just had to pay the fee of 150.. so i assume then they send out the accceptance letter next, but how long will that take.. prob another few months.

I was over in Vancouver last month for a few weeks checking out the place as city's go i thought it was pretty dull and soulless only for the weather being good and the beaches and hikes i would have been bored out of my mind, Are the other cities any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Me too 9380, So just had to pay the fee of 150.. so i assume then they send out the accceptance letter next, but how long will that take.. prob another few months.

I was over in Vancouver last month for a few weeks checking out the place as city's go i thought it was pretty dull and soulless only for the weather being good and the beaches and hikes i would have been bored out of my mind, Are the other cities any use?

Can be anything from days to week. Never heard of it taking months though.

I got my CAL letter today, now it says i have to do the whole upload my documents again??? but i've done that and paid the money already, man this is massively confusing. ? anyone at this step , i was on the waiting list

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

Hey i got a mail and in the subject line is - International Experience Canada (IEC) Conditional Acceptance Letter, but I cannot open it, when I try it comes up that I need to upgrade my adobe, which I did, and I have tried to open it on 3 different computers, one a mac, any idea what the problem is? Or did anyone else get this issue? thanks :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 infostrides

kate07 wrote: »
    Hey i got a mail and in the subject line is - International Experience Canada (IEC) Conditional Acceptance Letter, but I cannot open it, when I try it comes up that I need to upgrade my adobe, which I did, and I have tried to open it on 3 different computers, one a mac, any idea what the problem is? Or did anyone else get this issue? thanks :confused:

You will need to download the document to your desktop. Then, open it. Do not open it directly from the browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 spacepuppy

hey guys,

I got an email from IEC to say a place had become available in my category and to submit all my documents and pay the fee by a certain date. My WTN is in the 9000's so I was kinda surprised to hear from them. Did anyone else get this email last week as well? I've everything uploaded so now I'm just waiting for the CAL. Does anyone know if I'll definitely need a police cert? I applied for my Irish one today but I'm worried that since I've lived in the UK for the past few years - will that delay it and do I also need to apply for one for the UK too?

any info would be appreciated!

Advertisement