Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Menstruation

Options
  • 26-03-2013 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hey all, hope posting it here is the right place to do so.

Basically, as the title suggests, I'm missing periods.

Background to the issue:
    Had regular periods, then at about 23 (currently 26) they became very irregular. This coincided with a weight loss of about 6 stone so I attributed it to that.
    I've been on the pill twice in that three year period. The first time I stopped the pill they came back after about a month.

I stopped again on January 2nd and still nothing, which is nearly the longest I've gone without having one.

I went to a gynaecologist about 2 years ago about the issue in the Beacon. Got checked for poly cystic ovarian syndrome etc... had a blood test. Doctor said all was fine. Basically got nowhere. :(

Other information is that I do 5 day exercise a week and still am on a fairly strict diet of about 1600 a day. I'm sort of wondering is the exercise/diet a contributing factor.

Anyway, I'm not looking for medical advice, I'm looking for anyone who had a similar experience. Since I already went to a doctor about the isse I'm wondering is it even worth going down that road again?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, I'd go seek medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Other information is that I do 5 day exercise a week and still am on a fairly strict diet of about 1600 a day. I'm sort of wondering is the exercise/diet a contributing factor.

Yup, vigorous exercise and a significant calorie deficiency will definitely affect your menstrual cycle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A reminder to all that posters cannot offer medical advice.

I think it's absolutely worth discussing it with a doctor again, especially if you're worried about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I've missed periods before due to stress. I'd talk to your doctor about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

I'm not suggesting that you do or don't have pcos, but if you think the gynae may have missed a diagnosis, then you should seek a second opinion. Pcos is a hormonal condition though, so your gp should have referred you to an endocrinologist rather than a gynae. Do you have other symptoms that lead to pcos being a possibility?
    Maybe a trip to your gp is in order

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Calorie restriction will mess up your cycles alright, but I'd go see a doctor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP, check out the Female Athlete Triad. If you're exercising 5 days a week and you're on a low calorie diet it could apply to you. Amenorrhea is one symptom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_Athlete_Triad_Syndrome

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

an elevated prolactin hormone can cause you to miss periods. If so, its an easy hormone to regulate. Your doctor can run a blood test.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Hi doctor who girl! I am going through the exact same thing! I am 23 when I was 19 I developed amnorehea as I lost a lot of weight and wasn't eating. I started gaining weight after that and they came back. I started my weight obsession again last July and last more weight, increased exercise up to an hour sometimes hour and a half a day and eating calorie restricted diet with only a small bit of chocolate at weekends. I know I have a more serious problem now as I cannot let myself eat more exercise less i fell so terrible about it but I know it's killing my fertility. I just can't do it. I haven't had a period since 30th December. I know I need help but I just such a massive fear of gaining weight. I am 5ft6 and weight 7.8 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lva2013

Hi,
    The same thing happened to me when I was your age and the blood tests all came back clear.I used to range between 6/7 weeks in between up to 12 weeks sometimes,the doctor said he could put me back on the pill which would regulate things,but I didnt want to.Eventually when I was about 27/28 they started regulating back to around every 30 days,and now(at 32)they have changed to every 25/26 days,I was informed by 3 different doctors there was nothing to worry about so hopefully this helps!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I know med advice is not permitted but in light of Queenbee1's post I''d like to stress the point that rapid weight loss through severe calorie restriction and/or vigorous exercise places extreme stress on your body and if it continues for an extended period, it can cause irreversible damage to your fertility.

In addition to that, maintaining an unhealthy weight with a low BMI will compound the problem & often times menstruation won't return until the body has returned to a healthy body fat %.

Queenbee1, get help. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

beks101 wrote: »
    I know med advice is not permitted but in light of Queenbee1's post I''d like to stress the point that rapid weight loss through severe calorie restriction and/or vigorous exercise places extreme stress on your body and if it continues for an extended period, it can cause irreversible damage to your fertility.

In addition to that, maintaining an unhealthy weight with a low BMI will compound the problem & often times menstruation won't return until the body has returned to a healthy body fat %.

Queenbee1, get help. It's not worth it.

Thanks for your reply Beks. I completely agree with everythin you said I know u need help but it's a mental blockage that just won't let me. I hve been overcome with a massive fear of gaining weight.

Advertisement