Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should voting in Ireland be compulsory?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Should voting in Ireland be compulsory?

Ok so there are obvious reasons against such a proposal mainly that such a law would affect the freedom of an individual but could voting be considered as much of a civic duty as jury duty is?

Around the world 24 countries at present have a form of compulsory voting including:

Argentina
    Australia
    Belgium
    Bolivia
    Brazil
    Republic of Congo
    Costa Rica
    Dominican Republic
    Ecuador
    Egypt
    Greece
    Honduras
    Lebanon
    Libya
    Luxembourg
    Nauru
    Mexico
    Panama
    Paraguay
    Peru
    Singapore
    Switzerland
    Thailand
    Uruguay

And previously the US state of Georgia, Austria, Chile, Netherlands, Spain and Venezuela have also had a form of compulsory voting.

With 100% of the electorate casting their vote on voting day it would mean politicians would really have to work a lot harder to get elected and perhaps if elected would hold themselves accountable to ALL of society and not just a proportion.

There would also be a spoil your ballet option or a so called 'none of the above' option if the voters in a constituency did not agree with any of the candidates and if this option received the most votes then there would have to be a re-vote in that area. This would allow for someone else to run or the previous candidates working harder to prove that they are what the constituency needs. This along with a system of recall would ensure that politicians are representative and accountable to the people that elect them and not just the party whip.

What do we all think? I am sure many of you will disagree and so as always debate and opinion is welcomed! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I agree. One of the reasons for our national malaise is that many poor voters dont vote, which means politicians dont cater to them, which in turn means they feel ever more left out of decision making, thus becoming even more cynical and alienated.

Compulsory voting would do a lot to even up that imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No it shouldn't be compulsory, apathy is a good way of preventing those who care the least about politics from voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Sounds good in theory. As a non voter i like the world to revolve around me while i dont really care what happens in politics.

If i was to start voting the first thing i would do is vote that the Taoiseach get the boot and all power(within reason) given to the president. to hell with this stupid 2 tier government then they will be fighting for our votes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd be against it. The State has significantly grown in power and tax raising revenue over recent decades, and is using the current economic woes in part caused by state overspend to increase its remit. That the state should command the citizen in such a fashion would re-enforce the consciousnesses of master/servant relationship with the voter in the latter category. Whilst the vote is important, it only changes the present incumbent government and does not change the entrenched power of the state.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

For some people, not voting is a form of voicing their opinion. Might sound absurd to some, but that is the mentality out there nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

I would like the idea of it. But ideologically i am against it. I believe the government should not be able to force people to do things that they don't want. (obviously within reason e.g taxes)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Not voting is itself a vote so I don't see the issue. On the other hand, spoiling a vote seems to me to be ridiculous as it just wastes the time of people counting votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

I wouldn't make voting compulsory but I'd have maybe a small decrease in tax credits and/or welfare if you don't. Nothing huge though, €50 - €100. Would motivate people to vote but they still have the option not to if they choose but it'd cost them a few quid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well AFAIR, to better perfect the Athenian democracy the electors were paid to show up to vote. At least it is more a positive model than taxing, but given the current state of finances perhaps not a viable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

With 100% of the electorate casting their vote on voting day!

I very much doubt that this has ever occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

i would be in favour of this, with a fine for those who dont vote

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

But you don't want all of society voting. This sounds strange and weird to many but it is unfortunately true. The reason is that people can only reasonably vote in a good way for our country (your good and my good will be different but ignore that) if they are reasonably informed politically, economically and socially. A lot of people aren't. You don't want people voting who don't have a clue what they're voting on, this is precisely the problem with EU referendums, most people don't have more than a vague notion of what is involved in the treaty and vote based on what posters are saying or politicians/interest groups are pitching.

Now we do get plenty of uninformed people voting anyway because they care about politics but for some reason don't go out of their way to understand the issues. This will only get worse if we force the people who don't care about politics, and therefore will be even less inclined to inform themselves, into voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Rather than making voting compulsory I wonder if making educating oneself on how the political system works compulsory would have any merit?

nesf wrote: »
    But you don't want all of society voting. This sounds strange and weird to many but it is unfortunately true. The reason is that people can only reasonably vote in a good way for our country (your good and my good will be different but ignore that) if they are reasonably informed politically, economically and socially. A lot of people aren't. You don't want people voting who don't have a clue what they're voting on, this is precisely the problem with EU referendums, most people don't have more than a vague notion of what is involved in the treaty and vote based on what posters are saying or politicians/interest groups are pitching.

Now we do get plenty of uninformed people voting anyway because they care about politics but for some reason don't go out of their way to understand the issues. This will only get worse if we force the people who don't care about politics, and therefore will be even less inclined to inform themselves, into voting.

it is a possibility that a large percentage of those who previously didnt vote could educate themselves (even basically) on candidates/parties/issues. im sure a lot of them would see that if they had to vote they might as well understand what they are voting

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

They rarely have ballots on weekends, ensuring that students often cant vote.

Not a student any more but this annoyed me when I was, Even still there's no way of predicting where in the country I'll be on the next election day. I don't see how compulsory voting could work.

anto3473 wrote: »

Not a student any more but this annoyed me when I was, Even still there's no way of predicting where in the country I'll be on the next election day. I don't see how compulsory voting could work.

they could hold it over 2/3 days. this was the case in some recent election in a different country, it escapes me at the moment where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JohnC83

Maybe better if you include a poll, and make people vote! haha. Seriously though IMO I dont think people should be forced to vote. Too many people uneducated on the subject will be just voting for the name that sounds the best or "for the laugh".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,026 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm a no here as well.

The idea what I should vote implies that there is a candidate worth voting for. And spoiling a vote just brings us back to square one.

And I don't go with this ****e that if you don;t vote you give up your right to complain about the government. If you did vote and your choice was elected, THEN you give up such a right.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

JohnC83 wrote: »
    Maybe better if you include a poll, and make people vote! haha. Seriously though IMO I dont think people should be forced to vote. Too many people uneducated on the subject will be just voting for the name that sounds the best or "for the laugh".

granted, but i do think as ive mentioned earlier that if you were of the nonvoting persuasion and you were made to either vote or be fined, that you would educate yourself to some degree at least on what you are voting

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'm a no here as well.

The idea what I should vote implies that there is a candidate worth voting for. And spoiling a vote just brings us back to square one.

And I don't go with this ****e that if you don;t vote you give up your right to complain about the government. If you did vote and your choice was elected, THEN you give up such a right.

if you were going to spoil your vote, you at least had the knowledge that no candidate suited your requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

it is a possibility that a large percentage of those who previously didnt vote could educate themselves (even basically) on candidates/parties/issues. im sure a lot of them would see that if they had to vote they might as well understand what they are voting

Basic isn't good enough though. They need to be engaged with the political process to some extent to stay informed. They need the experience of years of doing this not to fall for the spiel of one party which is flat out unrealistic but very appealing.

A lot of people just are not interested in politics except when it directly affects them. That is fair enough, I can understand that. These people are not in a good position to judge what direction the country should take overall though.

All that said, it is not like political parties try and sell a comprehensive platform anyway as much as bundles of policies designed to appeal to specific groups of voters. Compulsory voting would make this even worse I think because the parties will be trying to sell to even less interested people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JohnC83

granted, but i do think as ive mentioned earlier that if you were of the nonvoting persuasion and you were made to either vote or be fined, that you would educate yourself to some degree at least on what you are voting

I honestly dont think so. If they are too lazy to vote now then they will be too lazy to educate themselves on the matter. They would just show up and pick the first one they see

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ridiculous idea, theres enough ignorance in this country when it comes to politics and economics with out making people vote, the lisbon treaty showed this and tbh I'm happy with the option not to vote, if I don't feel informed enough on a topic I abstain from the vote, to allow people informed on the topic make the decisions, making people vote is madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Students should register to vote where they study instead of whinging interminably about this non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Didn't they try that with the children's referendum and got the lowest turnout ever... (possible exAgerAtion but very low anyway)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Students should register to vote where they study instead of whinging interminably about this non-issue.
    Here we go again, bash the students time. I registered to vote near my college, and I made it to vote with about 15 minutes remaining. A Thursday in college fr most is an extremely long day, so it is an issue. On Fridays students have college and then go home, meaning there day is hectic enough as it is. Also, students sometimes forgot to change where they register. They are already registered in their home constituency, so they don't feel the need to change it, as they would be more engaged at home than they would be at college. Also, if every single student registered where they went college, it would make places like Galway East, Central Dublin and whatever constituency Cork is in a lot more important than say Dublin North or Laois/Offaly. Hence the leaders would visit here more often and forget about the smaller ones. There are negatives to all sides of your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ah shucks , really busy days on Thursday's ..... The polling stations for the last election were open 7am to 10 pm ...... You were in a city constituency so the polling station wasn't far away...
    On the plus side you made an effort to transfer your vote and get up and use it...
    My vote (s) have just followed me round, at last check I had 3 votes across 2 constituencies, which goes to show how wonky the register still is ... ( don't panic, I only vote where I live )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Or register for a postal vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Here we go again, bash the students time. I registered to vote near my college, and I made it to vote with about 15 minutes remaining. A Thursday in college fr most is an extremely long day

I often heard this argument from our Student Union President (who was elected on a 15% turnout even though the electorate only had to cross a hall to cast their ballot).

There is nothing stopping more students from transferring their ballots from where their parents live to where they now reside most of the time. Should working people who go home to mammy every weekend keep their votes in their mammy’s constituency?

As for having enough time – the ballots tend to open at 7am and I have yet to see a college course starting that early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

AlanG wrote: »
    I often heard this argument from our Student Union President (who was elected on a 15% turnout even though the electorate only had to cross a hall to cast their ballot).

There is nothing stopping more students from transferring their ballots from where their parents live to where they now reside most of the time. Should working people who go home to mammy every weekend keep their votes in their mammy’s constituency?

As for having enough time – the ballots tend to open at 7am and I have yet to see a college course starting that early.

In fairness I've moved 3 times in the last year with work. Its a pain. I never went home at weekends, but I would if there was a vote on, I couldent register for postal ballot because I dont have a disability ect.... It's not a non issue, just put the bloody elections on a saturday.... sorted

Advertisement