Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Grecco wrote: »

To be honest, it might make bitcoin a bit more legitimate in the long run.

Up until now, a lot of people saw bitcoin as something seedy, a way to buy/sell products without being traced (a very attractive proposition for those who wanted to fly under the radar) and Silk road definitely added to that appeal.

I wouldn't write it off yet and I'm curious to see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

As far as I can see it has already made back most of the drop. All the Silk Road dealers cashing out as quick as they can is bound to impact a relatively small market but it's a long time since there was anything approaching correlation between volumes of transactions on illicit drug markets and trades on BTC exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

This has been good for Bitcoin, the price is back where it was already. I never thought the dump was due to panic, it was just speculators trying to sell high and back back lower, knowing that once a small dump starts it can snowball.

It has put the bed any stupid accusations that BTC was only used by SR customers. It has also shown that it has advanced beyond any one piece of bad news or FUD like this crashing it completely. SR is shutdown, and the day after the biggest online bitcoin discussion forum gets hacked and has been offline since, and yet the price is where it was last week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 luscaa

sorry lads but where can i buy these and how?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Seems like a good place to start.
    http://howtobuybitcoins.info/ie.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

buying now is total waste of money,btc reached new highs,its matter of time before downturn occurs.

alb wrote: »
    This has been good for Bitcoin, the price is back where it was already. I never thought the dump was due to panic, it was just speculators trying to sell high and back back lower, knowing that once a small dump starts it can snowball.

It has put the bed any stupid accusations that BTC was only used by SR customers. It has also shown that it has advanced beyond any one piece of bad news or FUD like this crashing it completely. SR is shutdown, and the day after the biggest online bitcoin discussion forum gets hacked and has been offline since, and yet the price is where it was last week anyway.
    SilkRoad closing down didnt cause much action because any real vendor would cash out minute they get the coin.
    As for future dont see how this virtual currency could maintain to exist beyond,transactions like SR or other dodgy deals.As by now its impossible to mine coins as a single person,joining pools is waste of electricity,not to mention pyramids build around major pools where majority with hashing power and shares get the rewards,thus paying 0.000000xxx% to those who contribute in them.
    not to mention that no one knows who owns biggest amounts of them.
    adding to that that private companies already developed processors just for solving blocks alone at 1000x times the hardware used in pcs,i dont see how this currency is in any way better then government based ones.
    Reminds me of first bubble that occured in history

the Dutch tulip mania. The metaphor indicated that the prices of the stock were inflated and fragile – expanded based on nothing but air, and vulnerable to a sudden burst, as in fact occurred.

most currencies are fluctuating daily,due to economical and global reasons,but in BTC example where something started as small as 0.19US cents per coin in less then 5 years rose to over 300$ is a bit of a joke.
    Unless someone got lucky at very begining and forgot it like in recent story about guy who,found out that he had over 1mill worth of coins bought for less then 20$ :D

scamalert wrote: »
    SilkRoad closing down didnt cause much action because any real vendor would cash out minute they get the coin.
    As for future dont see how this virtual currency could maintain to exist beyond,transactions like SR or other dodgy deals.As by now its impossible to mine coins as a single person,joining pools is waste of electricity,not to mention pyramids build around major pools where majority with hashing power and shares get the rewards,thus paying 0.000000xxx% to those who contribute in them.

I agree that mining is unprofitable at the prices that ASIC vendors are selling the hardware for, yet people are still buying them and the power of the mining network which secures Bitcoin has been increasing at about 30-40% per fortnight. This is making Bitcoin much more secure as time goes on. This is a good thing.

Remember, you don't have to mine Bitcoin to own some or to use it, I've never mined any.
    not to mention that no one knows who owns biggest amounts of them.

I don't care too much who owns them, though it's not strictly true that no one knows any of the large holders, for example the Winklevoss twins bought about 1% of the currently existing coins and the FBI have about 166k of the Silk Road seized coins.
    adding to that that private companies already developed processors just for solving blocks alone at 1000x times the hardware used in pcs,i dont see how this currency is in any way better then government based ones.

It's very important to understand why Bitcoin offers something that government based ones don't - it's one of the main reasons it has value.
    The government can print more money whenever they like, when they do this it devalues the currency and effectively takes wealth from anyone holding the currency. This is why a dollar today buys a fraction of the bread it would have bought 50 years ago. For example, the US is creating 86 Billion (yes Billion) dollars per MONTH. Value is related to scarcity.

It doesn't matter what private companies do regarding solving blocks. No matter how much power is mining, the Bitcoin network adapts so there's same amount of new coins created by miners per day (currently 3200, this value halves every 4 years).
    When I buy a Bitcoin, I know how scarce it is, I know there's only 12 million in existence now, I know how many new ones will be mined next year.... and that there will only be 21 million total ever.
    Reminds me of first bubble that occured in history

the Dutch tulip mania. The metaphor indicated that the prices of the stock were inflated and fragile – expanded based on nothing but air, and vulnerable to a sudden burst, as in fact occurred.

This is a common analogy. Tulips are not scarce, you can just keep growing more, they also do not have any real world utility other than looking nice. Bitcoin has utility, it's the first digital money that works, it fulfills all the properties money needs to have with the bonus of not depending on trusting anyone to control it.
    most currencies are fluctuating daily,due to economical and global reasons,but in BTC example where something started as small as 0.19US cents per coin in less then 5 years rose to over 300$ is a bit of a joke.
    Unless someone got lucky at very begining and forgot it like in recent story about guy who,found out that he had over 1mill worth of coins bought for less then 20$ :D

As you've noted, in general it is fluctuating upwards at quite a pace as adoption grows. The user base and adoption is still at an early stage, so any single holder buying or selling in bulk affects the price quite a lot. This will ease over time as the user base grows, it's behaving like a commodity now, like gold in gold rush times, in time when adoption is higher, and the service infrastructure has grown, it may be used more as a traditional currency as the volatility declines.

Bitcoin adoption will continue to grow and the price will only rise in the short and medium term. Or it will completely fail and be worth nothing :) my advice is to read up on it, watch some videos on khan academy about it and make your own call. Bitcoin is a fascinating, ingenious invention and experiment if nothing else.

Bitcoin is a fascinating, ingenious invention and experiment if nothing else.
    Agree on this but everything else ive said can be argued to no end.
    example 21mil coins and 12 mil mined already,if you were to distribute that it wouldn't be enough for one or two major capitals in the world population wide.
    Comparing it to gold rush is closest thing-price wise,but gold is physical that's why all major currencies are tied to it,sorta reserve if everything above fails.BTC isn't tied to anything,and with such limited amount its designed to increase transfer charges overtime to even distribution of coins.Al tough ive read already about lite coin and other small projects to make alternative currency i dont see any advantage to regular person using it,besides speculation.
    If people are interested in trading in which it comes down to now since mining it is waste of time and resources,one might get 100 times luckier trading ordinary stocks,indexes or forex,then chasing down virtual currency which has no support,in events where hardware fails and suddenly all your coins are gone,or you lose your password or pay someone who disappears without a trace.Banks at least protect you from any fraud or looses which might occur,bit coin isn't protected against anything.
    As for using arguments that goverments of US and EU can print money whenever they want,seems nothing more different to me if companies who have lumps of super computers to create coins,it comes down the same those in power always end up keeping it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I bought 10 bitcoin earlier in the year - it was a major hassle doing wire transfers and sending ID photocopies to MtGOX - cost me €500 at the time, bitcoin was about €47 at the time but I only managed to get 9.958 coins when the transfer fee and commission were taken out.

I then managed to lose 0.5 bitcoin by speculating on one of the attacks that mtgox was regularly suffering - normally the price dropped sharply and I sold at the start of the attack - price rose sharply!

So I currently have 9.53 bitcoin which as of today is worth €2,716 - I still think that a price of $1,000 per coins will be reached in the short term (12 - 18 months).

As usual I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy more - the original plan was to follow up the "trial" 500 with 5k (that was earning next to nothing in a "savings" account) but I losy my nerve!
    scamalert wrote:
    example 21mil coins and 12 mil mined already,if you were to distribute that it wouldn't be enough for one or two major capitals in the world population wide.

Sorry to be harsh but most "criticisms" of bitcoin like this seem to come from people who to be honest haven't a clue about bitcoin. Bitcoins are divisible down to a satoshi, which is 0.00000001 of a coin (the smallest unit that can be traded in a transaction) - as the value of a single bitcoin rises the smaller units of mBTC (1/1,000th) and μBTC (1/1,000,000) will be a more common way of expressing bitcoin amounts.
    As for using arguments that goverments of US and EU can print money whenever they want,seems nothing more different to me if companies who have lumps of super computers to create coins,it comes down the same those in power always end up keeping it that way.

Again, either a huger misunderstanding or you're trolling?

The rate that bitcoins are mined is fixed - by throwing extra processing at it a company with "super computers" could increase its chances of owning each individual coin as it is "mined" but it can in no way increase the actual number of bitcoins that will be mined this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭chompdown

Those with an interest in Bitcoins and shares might be interested in taking a look at Alix Resources, which has some new agreement in place where they will pay for traditional mining work in Bitcoin and at the same time will possibly set up their own Bitcoin exchange...

I know nothing about this company but it stood out because of the massive volume.
    The second most active stock on the TSX Venture was Alix Resources Corp. (TSX: V.AIX, Stock Forum) It rose 16.7% and was trading at $0.035 after 1.7 million shares changed hands.

Today, the mineral exploration company announced that it has entered into an innovative and creative service plan with Ridge Resources Ltd. for upcoming exploratory work on its Windy Property located 15 kilometers north of Cassiar, British Columbia. Pursuant to the plan, Alix will pay Ridge for its services in bitcoins on an ongoing basis and will continue to explore this avenue for funding future endeavours with other service providers.

http://www.stockhouse.com/news/natural-resources/2013/11/12/alix-resources-(v-aix)-up-16-7-on-plan-to-use-bitc#ZTlPuZOr1l7qPhbu.99

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Bogger Prince

I have a few quids too play a bit in these lads. How do you get about getting a few o them and how do you sell dem after they are up and you'd want to cash them in???

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

$4.1m goes missing as Chinese bitcoin trading platform GBL vanishes

http://www.geek.com/news/4-1-million-worth-of-bitcoins-goes-missing-as-chinese-exchange-gbl-disappears-1576967/

Absolutely ZERO recourse for the victims. Can't wait for an "alb" analogy for this one. :rolleyes:

Here's an excerpt from interview with the Winklevoss Twins:
    "Finally, they made it clear that Bitcoin isn’t going anywhere any time soon. If regulators choose to attempt to shut it down, they will only push innovation overseas, possibly to China where already companies like Baidu accept it."

Yes, it's bound to prosper in the most unregulated place on earth. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

[/B]Agree on this but everything else ive said can be argued to no end.

One bit coin can be infinitely subdivided, so the 12 million currently existing bit coins could easily represent tens of trillions of US dollars if needed. In which case, a single bit coin would be worth a lot, but few individuals would have total balances amounting to more than 0.010000 BTC or 10 milliBTC to follow pHs convention.

zpehtsfd wrote: »

http://www.geek.com/news/4-1-million-worth-of-bitcoins-goes-missing-as-chinese-exchange-gbl-disappears-1576967/

Absolutely ZERO recourse for the victims.

It's early days, I think we'll see more of this sort of thing before a few core exchanges can build consumer trust. In the meantime, the best advice can only be scepticism of new exchanges and to never store large balances of BTC online, at exchanges or anywhere else.

Absolutely ZERO recourse for the victims. Can't wait for an "alb" analogy for this one. :rolleyes:

Here's an excerpt from interview with the Winklevoss Twins:
    "Finally, they made it clear that Bitcoin isn’t going anywhere any time soon. If regulators choose to attempt to shut it down, they will only push innovation overseas, possibly to China where already companies like Baidu accept it."

Yes, it's bound to prosper in the most unregulated place on earth. :D

not sure what point you're making, but if it's the one I think you are ... it's already been pointed out in this thread that if you heard someone lost millions of dollars to a scammer you wouldn't draw the conclusion that dollars themselves are too risky to have would you?

I think what people like you haven't really grasped is that bitcoins themselves are far more like cash than they are like bank accounts ("ZERO recourse").

because they live on computers people seem to think of them like their paypal or bank account balances - they couldn't be more wrong - they are cash.

In the case of banknotes - you physically possess them. If someone steals them then you have ZERO RECOURSE - you can't go to a bank or central authority and ask them to cancel those notes or to issue you with replacements. Bitcoins are exactly like this, except the physical possession is replaced by basically having the private key that they're now associated with.

Bitcoin is a fascinating, ingenious invention and experiment if nothing else.

As other have said, it bitcoins can be subdivided currently down to 8 places, if it ever becomes a problem that this is not enough, more decimal places could be added.
    If people are interested in trading in which it comes down to now since mining it is waste of time and resources,one might get 100 times luckier trading ordinary stocks,indexes or forex,then chasing down virtual currency which has no support,in events where hardware fails and suddenly all your coins are gone,or you lose your password or pay someone who disappears without a trace.Banks at least protect you from any fraud or looses which might occur,bit coin isn't protected against anything.

This is a good point, if you lose your password or you have not backed up your private keys your coins are lost, and can never be recovered by anyone. There's no bank to phone, no company or government to bail you out.

Using bitcoin without trusting any 3rd party involves taking responsibility of your own money. You are your own bank. I would currently only advise people who are technically literate and willing to do the research about how to keep their coins secure to hold any serious amount of bitcoins. It's not that hard, you just need to be organised and do it right. I think trusted 'banks' and services will emerge to make it easier for the ordianry Joe in future, but right now Bitcoin is the wild west.

For this you gain: the freedom that your account will not be locked by banks, that it won't be confiscated or used in a bail-in, that you can make transactions on weekends or bank holidays, that the government will not dilute your money by printing more, that you can send it abroad or bring it with you across international borders without restrictions.

As other have also said, it doesn't matter how many super computers they have, we get an average of 3200 new coins per day regardless of mining power, and this halves every 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Would I be better off buying Litecoins than Bitcoins? I'm thinking of buying €20 of ltc to see how it goes and if it rises, I might buy some more. Or I could buy a 0.5 BTC and let the bubble do its work?

I'm not into mining as I don't really want to get to involved with that process.

Does LTC have the potential to increase its value like BTC but at a slower rate or is it a much smaller version of BTC like if BTC was gold and LTC was silver. Gold is around €1200 on the market whereas silver is €20. Would it be like that or could it compete with BTC?

pH wrote: »
    I think what people like you haven't really grasped is that bitcoins themselves are far more like cash than they are like bank accounts ("ZERO recourse").

Please stop the nonsense. Bitcoins are NOT like cash. You store cash in your bank account and if it goes missing without your authorization then you have recourse to get ALL of it back.
    because they live on computers people seem to think of them like their paypal or bank account balances - they couldn't be more wrong - they are cash.

More wrong? When's the last time something hacked into your wallet and took your cash?

"alb" and "pH" own Bitcoins and are talking through their e-wallets. :D

Winklevoss Twins calling Bitcoin "Gold 2.0". FREE Koolaid for Everyone!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Bogger Prince

Can you get these through a broker ?

Please stop the nonsense. Bitcoins are NOT like cash. You store cash in your bank account and if it goes missing without your authorization then you have recourse to get ALL of it back.

Cash means physical money. Notes, coins. Certainly thats what the intended meaning was here. My notes and coins are not stored at a bank. The bulk of my money is stored there, but not in cash form.
    More wrong? When's the last time something hacked into your wallet and took your cash?

Happens every day- mugging, pickpocketing, burglary.

The presence of a bias does not in itself make the holder of the bias wrong.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Would I be better off buying Litecoins than Bitcoins? I'm thinking of buying €20 of ltc to see how it goes and if it rises, I might buy some more. Or I could buy a 0.5 BTC and let the bubble do its work?

I'm not into mining as I don't really want to get to involved with that process.

Does LTC have the potential to increase its value like BTC but at a slower rate or is it a much smaller version of BTC like if BTC was gold and LTC was silver. Gold is around €1200 on the market whereas silver is €20. Would it be like that or could it compete with BTC?

Quick answer: no one knows, it's speculation either way.

My 2 Satoshis: 6 months ago Litecoin was strong, it's price was growing relative to bitcoin and rumours of it being traded alongside bitcoin on mtgox was creating hype. Fundamentally it's mostly identical to Bitcoin but with a couple of differences I liked: it has quicker confirmations and it is not so easy to make dedicated mining hardware for it that will out perform conventional GPUs as it is for Bitcoin. But lately Bitcoin has pushed further out in front due to positive news, new services and increased adoption and I don't hear much about Litecoin at all. But I still hold a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

My 2 Satoshis: 6 months ago Litecoin was strong, it's price was growing relative to bitcoin and rumours of it being traded alongside bitcoin on mtgox was creating hype. Fundamentally it's mostly identical to Bitcoin but with a couple of differences I liked: it has quicker confirmations and it is not so easy to make dedicated mining hardware for it that will out perform conventional GPUs as it is for Bitcoin. But lately Bitcoin has pushed further out in front due to positive news, new services and increased adoption and I don't hear much about Litecoin at all. But I still hold a few.

Where did you make your Litecoin purchase?

Roonbox wrote: »
    Where did you make your Litecoin purchase?

I mined some, and i traded Bitcoin for some on mcxnow.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I assume you were using a normal PC for mining coins then? I have a decent gaming pc but I'm not sure about using it for mining as it'll decrease the life of the components. I do have a GTX 660 Ti GPU, AMD FX-8320 CPU at 3.2Ghz and 4GB of RAM. Is that enough for LTC mining. I'm thinking BTC mining would require alot of power but LTC would require less power. Would that be right?

Plus, how long did it take you to mine your LTC?

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I assume you were using a normal PC for mining coins then? I have a decent gaming pc but I'm not sure about using it for mining as it'll decrease the life of the components. I do have a GTX 660 Ti GPU, AMD FX-8320 CPU at 3.2Ghz and 4GB of RAM. Is that enough for LTC mining. I'm thinking BTC mining would require alot of power but LTC would require less power. Would that be right?

Plus, how long did it take you to mine your LTC?

Yeah, I just used my PC, which had a dedicated graphics card. I was maybe mining 1/2 a litecoin a day, so nothing major, you won't get even close to this now probably. Also with our relatively high electricity rates in Ireland you'll spend more on electricity mining than the coins are worth so it's generally cheaper to just buy them. I wanted to do some mining to understand how it works, and it took quite a bit of effort to get it working at all.

If you honestly believe that your bank has a little box with your name on it and a pile of your cash in it then words fail me.

It's called "theft" there are many ways to relieve someone of their cash, through force, stealth or trickery - the point remains when someone relives you of your €20 note you have absolutely no recourse to go to a central authority and demand they replace that note - bitcoins are exactly the same and in that way are far more like cash than they are like bank accounts.

You think it's surprising that those of us who think that bitcoin has a bright future might actually have some of them?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Whats the minimum amount of Bitcoins someone can buy. Like, Can somone buy one bitcoin?

• Advertisement

Whats the minimum amount of Bitcoins someone can buy. Like, Can somone buy one bitcoin?

the smallest you can buy is a satoshi which is 0.00000001 of one bitcoin.

Which if my calculations are correct should cost you 0.000294 cent, or in other words you could buy just over 3,000 satoshis for 1 cent.

Advertisement