Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UAE....ADEC

• 19-03-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys I'm starting this new thread in the hope that there are a few recruits lined up to teach in Abu Dhabi with the Abu Dhabi Education Council ADEC. I know there is a thread already for UAE but it mostly talks about SABIS and I was hoping to get one rolling for ADEC. I had my interview with ADEC last October. I got an offer from them and I am hopefully heading out this Summer. I have sent in all of my paperwork and am now awaiting and email from them. I know Ben Gilbert is the main point of contact. Im just wondering has anyone heard anything yet? Or if there's anyone reading this who has worked for or are working for ADEC any advice or tips would be brill.cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 8Balboa4

Hey there!
    I interviewed with ADEC this year and subsequently got offered a position as a EMT from this September. At the moment I am a bit all over the place as to making a decision. I have just received the written letter so decision time is coming up. I find it so hard to beleiev that they cannot tell you where you are going to be assigned. I have my heart set on Abu Dhabi City and would be very disappointed to be placed anywhere else. I guess its the same for everyone and taking a job in a foreign country is going to be a risk whatever way you look at it!
    Would also love to hear from anyone who has taught previously or currently teaching with ADEC to hear their experiences.
    Decision Time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irish_chick

Hey Balboa.good to hear there is someone else out there in the same boat as myself! I'm apprehensive about not being in the city also but I guess we're not alone and travel to the city seems to be quite good. You never know we might get working in the city. Also I think you can request a change of place after a year if your circumstances change. Hopefully a few more will see this thread and we can get a bit more advice. We're there many at your interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 silverlinings

Hey,
    I'm waiting to do an interview to work for ADEC at the moment and I'm wondering what kinds of questions did they ask?
    I live in the UAE already so I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can! I know a few people working in ADEC schools and they seem to be getting on grand

Hey silverlinings. The interview for me was pretty relaxed. They asked me about 3 questions in relation to classroom management and behavior. The rest of my interview just consisted of confirming what was in my cv. It wasn't too bad. Just have all your paperwork in order so everything can move swiftly.
    So you're living in Abu Dhabi already? How are you finding it? Are you living in the city? What's the Irish/expats community like? Am a bit apprehensive about the culture differences but I'm guessing there are lots more out there in the same situation? Do you know anything else about ADEC? Are the people you know living way outside the city? Have you tried applying for work in any of the international schools? Why ADEC over Sabis and others? Any other advice would be great. Sorry for all the questions.

Ok cool I've sent off pretty much all my documents and that so far so hopefully it should be a smooth enough process. The interview sounds ok so thanks for the info!
    Im not in Abu Dhabi at the moment, I'm about 30 mins north of Dubai in a private school. I've been to Abu Dhabi a good few times and I really liked it down there. Where I am at the moment is quite conservative but really I think I was expecting it to be much more so before I came out here. I pretty much wear what I would wear at home outside of work, although I am mindful to cover my shoulders and as far as my knees but to be honest its kinda cold in some of the malls and that with the a/c so you end up wearing jeans a lot and leggings.

In general there is a massive Irish expat community out here, you always meet loads of Irish people wherever you are, there are gaa clubs to join as a player or socially and there are events on fairly regularly. There is a ton of things to do you'll love it out here, honestly. Its a bit strange at first but you'll settle in quickly and you end up wondering what you were worried about. Plus there will be loads of Irish people starting with you in work so you make friends very quickly. My friends that work for adec all have apartments in the same building so they are constantly surrounded by each other which is nice. They are about 40 mins from Dubai and 25 from Abu Dhabi I would say...not sure if thats 100% accurate though lol.
    I have heard that ADEC are great to work for and the benefits in terms of housing and pay are by far the best I've seen advertised, so thats why really.
    Don't worry bout all the questions, I wish I'd been able to ask someone before I came out, it's a big step it's always nice to know that it can work out lol

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reassuring reply. I am quite excited about heading out to Abu Dhabi. I'm trying to hold my excitement tho until I hear back form ADEC. I sent in my final paperwork in January and am still waiting to hear back. I know they are busy at mo with interviews so maybe that's the hold up. Let me know if you hear anything and vice versa. Good luck with your interview not that you'll need it. Just be yourself and have a few answers prepared for behavior management.

The way this country works I'm not surprised you haven't heard back, everything is last minute out here so don't be worried at all. I will thanks, and if you have any more questions just get onto me on this and I'll answer them as best I can! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bozie_susie

Hi everyone, I'm very new to all this. I have recently decided to apply for jobs in Abi Dhabi and Dubai also. I've only just signed up to 2 website..teachanywhere and teach away and i've 2 phone interviews lined up. Am I a million miles away from starting in August? From what i'm reading people have been applying since last Sept/Oct time! Also Silverlinings are any of your friends living with unmarried partners? I want to go over with my bf but am a little worried about this situation. I've heard if you keep your head down then things are fine but if these companys put you up in an apartment im not sure how this will work! Any advise will be greatly appreciated :)

Hi bozie_susie a lot of people only get hired a week or two before they come out here so your not too late to apply at all. I'd say that having 2 phone interviews lined up is a great start, some people apply and never hear anything back from any schools. At the moment I know one couple that are living together but not in school provided accomm. I do know of a couple who lived in dubai for 4 years and just told everyone they were married (jobs included) and they never had any hassle. I think as long as your willing to say yer married and keep yer heads down, no questions will be asked. Do you know which schools you have the interviews with??

I just got offered a job with ADEC so I'm moving to Abu Dhabi for sept :)

Hey silver linings congrats on the job offer! No doubt we'll be seeing each other in September then! Did ADEC send you out the acceptance letter? I haven't heard anything since sending off all my documents but hoping as u say its just the way out there!
    Bozie_suzie welcome to the world of needing reassurance. I've heard of a few couples living together and they've had no hassle they just keep their heads down. Good luck with phone interviews no doubt ul be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 briantroy22

Hey,
    I am seriously considering applying for a job with the ADEC, if not this year it will be the following year. I qualified out of Mary I and have eight years teaching experience. Will this length of teaching time help me get a job? Also, Would doing a TEFL course help my chances also? Was thinking of doing one for the simple fact of helping me in the classroom over there. Does anyone know what TEFL course would be the best to do?

Thanks

Thanks for the advise ladies :) Congrats on job silverlinings! I've since registered with ADEC and they are going to fast track me personal interview so fingers crossed ill get something for one of them! I haven't got the names of schools I've only signed up to websites so....I've also since been told to apply directly to schools themselves?? I suppose i'll see how these go first! Have ye ever heard of people getting a living allowance instead of taking the accommodation that is on offer? Someone has suggested that instead of living in their accommodation with my bf! I thought they'd ask for proof of being married was wasn't going to chance that but maybe I will now?? Briantroy I only have 2 years experience and so far i'm at least getting interviews so i'd imagine you'll be snapped up!

Sorry for all the questions :)

Thanks Bozie Suzie

I have bit the bullet and justed applied with two companies teach away and teach anywhere but don't know really what the story is!! Everyone is going on about documents I know we need our degree and garda vetting but what else do we need in the documents list? i am taking a career break and have talked to the principal and he said we could get the career break sorted but he will need to know by the middle of May. My question is if I got called for an interview when would I know if i was successful as I don't want to take a career break for nothing. This is a last minute but would love to get it sorted for August. Is anyone in the same boat?

Hey Brian, I did the same applied to 3 companies but since found out you can only be put forward for the interviews with ADEC by 1! I've ended up going with teachanywhere as it's based in UK and deals mainlt with Irish and English so they can put you in contact with people before you go over. I have my in person interview on the 21st in Dublin so I would say your definately still in time too. The will let you know about all the documentation you need so don't panic about that! I dont know how long the application to successful placement is but from what i've read in other treads you may not find out til very last minute. You can also apply directly to schools. Theres lots being advertised on the tes.co.uk website but they are mainly for Dubai.

That is great thanks very much for that! I was just talking to a friend who did it about the whole process and what he was saying that it seems straight forward enough!! I have got an email off ann marie sheeran from teach anywhere about organising a time for a phone interview, hopefully next week. Cool thanks for that would be great to get it organised for this year would love to head out in August but only problems is god knows where we could end up!!:)

Hey,
    Is there anyone going for ADEC interview on Monday April 21st? I know there are there are interviews on the sunday and monday. Does anyone know what to expect? I wonder it you don't have all the documents at the interview will that affect you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 traversa

Hi. Well done to all those who have already heard! I have recently been called for an interview also for Sunday the 21st April. I am trying to get all the documents ready at the moment. If anyone has any interview advice it would be greatly appreciated! What sort of questions do they ask? any particular focus? I know discipline seems to be a topic they focus on but are there any others that people have noticed? Thanks a mill! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chelley82

Hi everyone
    I'm new to this thread but have a few questions...Today I applied to Footprints recruitment agency regarding teaching for the ADEC. I have been fast tracked for interview in London on Sunday.I have been reading other boards and noticed they don't have a great reputation. does anyone know of people already working for them?I have been teaching in England for 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hey folks,

Heading out in August with ADEC assuming that the formal offer comes through in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone know if they use text books in Abu Dhabi? Not that I want to use them but just to know what standard the kids are at with Maths, English and Science. Or is there a currriculum that specifies what they need to know in each grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chefchaouen

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had received their formal contracts yet who interviewed with ADEC in April. I got the recommendation email, but no contract yet. I'm getting anxious... hate waiting!

• Advertisement

I am in the same boat.....got my confirmation email but no official letter. I did get an email however saying they have been slightly delayed and not to worry.

I have a question for anyone who has or is getting their degrees attested....Do we need to get a latin degree from Trinity translated and get both attested? also is the letter from the Teaching Council stating I am a fully probated member sufficient as the teaching registration?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aoife_rebecca

Hey everybody,

Relieved to have stumbled across this thread and found other teachers moving to Abu Dhabi in August for a September start with Adec.

I interviewed in the Westin in Dublin on the 24th of Feb and got my letter of acceptance a week later, then got my provisional contract on the 19th March pending authentication of documents etc. etc.

I had a masters degree which had my name written in Irish but my teaching council name was in English so I had to get an English copy from the college and I would really recommend getting copies of your stuff translated to English just to be on the safe side - it'll be easier get things done here before you travel.

Attestation cost me....

50e for notary/solicitor fees

Irish department of foreign affairs - e40 x 2 = e80

Emirate Embassy stamps cost e201 in total for clearing both documents - degree and teacher registration certificate.

Over 300euro for a finish!

The teacher registration proves the length you've been teaching. When you get your contract it'll be based (money wise) on your qualifications.

On my application I put down Masters degree with 6 years experience and that's how they calculate your contract. Then the authenticated copies of your degree and teacher registration prove this so my teacher registration certificate says I'm registered since September 2007.

I rang Anne Marie Sheeran, my rep at teach anywhere the other day, and she gave me a guideline departure date of between the 8th and 12th of August.

Hey all

I got my confirmation letter before Xmas since I had done my interview in October. I have done all of the above things that Aoife_rebecca has done. It is costly but it is definitely worth getting all sorted this side before heading over.
    Aoife_rebecca is that a definite on those dates? I thought it was nearer to the 18th August. Do you know when we'll have a better idea? I'm supposed to be doing a summer camp between the 12-16th aug so will need to cancel this if we're headin off. Ann Marie said she'll send out details of who is heading out (if everyone agrees) when she knows who's heading out so we can chat/discuss stuff before we flying out.

Hey Irish chick, Anne Marie pretty much said keep ALL of August free since ADEC can be pretty unpredictable but she said that was the window that the teachers were sent out last year and Ramadan will just have finished up (the 5th this year as far as I know).

They need us all in Abu Dhabi city for orientation and the medical and to get us to open our bank accounts before they can ship people out to the more remote areas so I suppose it depends on how long all that takes...

I'd say give Anne Marie a buzz and just enquire what the situation was if teachers were unable to fly out until later on - I'm sure its happened before.

I'd def be up for chatting/ meeting teachers before we head out.

Fun times ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chefchaouen

I got my official offer letter finally! Hopefully everyone else will get theirs soon. I went through Teach Away and they said to be prepared to go anytime in August.

That is a great help....thanks a mill guys!

So the notary public I am meeting tomorrow charges 50 euro per document to get attested....do you think I need to attest all three.... my official degree cert in Latin and the letter from Trinity translated stating I graduated with that degree and my confirmation of Registration letter from the teaching council? Or would it be sufficient to get my translated letter from trinity and the teaching council letter done? I just don't want to get the wrong documents done and then have to start again!

Great news Chefchaouen! hopefully mine is not far behind yours!

Hey Traversa,

50 euro per document is too pricey!

I got both mine done in Limerick for 25 each - total e50. Definitely ring around! And tell them you know of people who have had it done for 25 per document!

Adec just need two documents - your highest teaching qualification and teacher registration certificate.

It has to be a copy of your degree (with seal) and not a letter from your university.

Thanks a mill aoife_rebecca!

My solicitor was great....he gave me a student price today and only charged me for one doc even though he did all three so all in all it was only 30 euro! Woohoo!! Next step Dept of Foreign affairs! :-)

God work on the prices of your documents traversa! If ur in Dublin you can call into the dept of foreign affairs and they'll have it done for you in about 20mins. Hers hopin you get the official letter soon. Lookin forward to chatting about all when Anne-Marie sends out the list of all of us heading out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Hey I'm in the same boat as all of you, I've been waiting on the contract and was wondering why it's taking so long! Once documents are attested that's all we can do right? Have any of you looked into private or international schools? Most of them pay less but I'm a bit concerned about the not knowing where you'll be put situation, is anyone else having doubts about that element?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ahahah

Hi there,

I have an interview later today by phone with ADEC. Is anyone going out with a partner? I will be married when/if I go. Need to know if they'll pay his airfare or else it wont work

Got my offer letter last night....yay! that is a relief! It is all coming together now. Going into the dept of foreign affairs after school today to get that ball moving too. It will be great to get that list alright and start discussing our big move :-)

Dublingirl80 I know what you are saying and naturally I would prefer to be placed close to Abu Dhabi but as far as I know even if you are not you will be with other expats and realistically are not too far away to go up on the weekends so it should be OK!

I single but they said at the talk that they do, I think they recommend that they come after though? But they defo pay dependents flights!

Traversa got mine too, just trying to get stuff sorted this week ,how many references do we need? Ye I'm just worried about being really really far out, it can be up to 2 And a half hours away! How many written references do we need?

I heard nothing about written references? I gave in one written reference at my interview but there has been no mention since? The only thing I am doing at the mo is getting my degree and teaching council registration letter attested!?

• Advertisement

Oh yeh no I hadn't got my reference yet at that stage so that's why, just wondering If we need 2 or 1 as the agencies and private schools ask for 2, must just be 1 then? Yah I got my degree attested a while back when I got offer so that's done! Do you know what the probation part of contract is bout? I know they can let you go within z6 months but could you also leave within then without employment ban? Just curious and trying to figure out what happens regarding money ( furniture allowance) when ppl leave early? I know the reviews are mixed and for whatever reason people do seem to sometimes leave!

Anyone heard anything yet? Starting to get a little impatient!

Yeah I got formal contract from Adec but only last week so it's been she's since interview! When did you interview?

I interviewed back in October. Have gotten my formal contract also but was hoping to hear more by now.

I interviewed back in October. Have gotten my formal contract also but was hoping to hear more by now.[

Oh right I think the rest of it won't be till July ish! My friend that did it last year said you need a lot of patience and it's a bit last minute? Where did you interview? Do you know anyone else heading over?

• Advertisement

Thanks dublingirl guess il have to work on my patience for Abu Dhabi! I interviewed at the westin in dub. Don't know anyone else headin over but fingers crossed there's a few more in the same boat. Is ur friend with ADEC? How's she finding it?

Thanks dublingirl guess il have to work on my patience for Abu Dhabi! I interviewed at the westin in dub. Don't know anyone else headin over but fingers crossed there's a few more in the same boat. Is ur friend with ADEC? How's she finding it?
    She's really happy overall! I hear working there is stressful though! I know I'm the same, patience is hard when you want stuff to be organised! Which agency ate you going with? Are you from Dublin too? It'll be nice to know when we're leaving, I hear that's even a bit last minute but I'm back from holidays August 1st so hoping I've a week or two!

I definitely need to work on my patience too I guess! I sent off my degrees etc last week and haven't heard whether they are ok or not....no news is good news I suppose! I was just worried that my degree was in latin but my translation was only a letter which the arab chamber of commerce said not to attest so I hope it is all in order for what they need?! I get home from holidays on August 4th so I really hope I have a week or so as well to get my life into a bag!!

Ye I feel the same! I've emailed and called a few times and I've not heard yet! I also had my stuff attested already and sent them it but like that, they've not gotten back to say its ok or not this week! Hoping all goes through ok and that we hear more soon! It's all exciting but nerve wrecking! Sent you a pm!

Hey Dublingirl and traversa.i sent my documents in in February. Didn't hear a thing til may when I sent a few emails to check all was ok.they eventually got back to me to say all was grand and that my stuff was sent off to Abu Dhabi to get visa sorted.so think well just be waiting until the flight details come through!! Dublin girl got a pm from you but seems like an empty message.

Oh right well then I think I need to forget about it and enjoy the Summer holidays when they come in 3 weeks time! :-) I can think about it more when I get home from travelling!

Sorry I never use this thing And got confused with Who was who too! I'll be in touch with you two tho closer to the time as it'd be nice to get in touch with other Irish people doing same thing so I can see if we're in same group flying out etc! Ye I kinda wanna just relax for my holidays so hoping I'll have the info by time im Heading away.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lilly0907

Hey guys, how are things? I'm heading over to Abu Dhabi in sept also. Can't wait. Looking forward to meeting ye all :)

Hey! It's nice to chat to others going! This is a crazy time when we don't know the details but know we're going! At least we can keep in touch on this and figure out what's happening! Wonder if there's many from Ireland going, and how many are heading over from uk, America etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dublino

Hey everyone... I'm in the same boat - heading over in Sept with ADEC. Going alone and don't have a clue what to expect! You guys going alone? I'm going traveling for over a month when I finish school here so will all be very rushed heading off! You know how many Irish are heading? I'm interested in chatting anyway :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement