Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert Subject Choices!

Options
  • 19-03-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently in TY and our leaving cert subject choices have to be in tomorrow. Oh lord.

Anyway, I really can't make up my mind. The subjects I'm certain on are French and Physics, but I just can't pick the other 2.

I've narrowed it down to Chemistry, Accounting and Biology.

The thing is, I am definitely going to pursue a career in some sort of science area (not sure what field exactly), so doing accounting would be virtually useless for me after school. But I just love the subject! I love working with figures and find it quite easy. I got an A in HL JC business (I did all the bookkeeping questions - hated the theory, bleh).

On the other hand, it would make a lot more sense if I just did all 3 sciences since I'm certain I want to have a career in it. I got an A in HL science too. Chemistry is grand, I find it quite fun if a little difficult. But biology is a bit meh, but easy. I find the human biology interesting but plant biology/ecology makes me want to leave the earth with boredom. Weird analogy. But then again, having biology would be useful for my future.

So basically what I need advice about is if I should do accounting just because I enjoy it, and if so what science should I take with it? Or should I do all the sciences because I know they'll benefit me in the future?

Thanks! (sorry about the length of this post I tend to ramble on a bit, jaysus)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

On reading that I'd say do accounting straight off. If you like it and all, and you're good at it, then why not? You only need maximum 2 sciences to get into any science course so unless you just want to do a 3rd for the sake of it, you don't need to as such. All general science degrees give you a foundation in the 3 in 1st year anyway and most people will only have 2 going in.

Chemistry's really not as hard as it's made out to be to be honest. It's a bit boring at the start cos it's all kinda history/heavy theory stuff but after a while when you get into the proper stuff it's really interesting, plenty if mindfcuk moments! :P

Biology isn't as easy as it's made out to be either! Loooooads of people think it's easy to do well in (which it is with work) but there's the most to learn in it out of the 3. If you hate ecology and plants, you'll be delighted to hear that there's 3 ecology chapter with a guaranteed question on it each year, and there's like 5 (?) plant chapters. There's a lot of human in it too so it wouldn't be all bad :p I love biology though, it's reeeeeally interesting if you like it in any way!

So yeah from reading that I'd definitely say accounting and then whichever of the other 2 seems better to you. Any questions just shoot away (I'm doing bio&chem, no accounting) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Medme

Do accounting if you really enjoy it, that'll go a long way towards a good grade in LC!
    I did biology and chemistry in LC and loved them both but chemistry was my fave. Might be worth taking chemistry if your seriously thinking of going into science for third level. Some courses (vet/med) ask for a higher C3 in chemistry for entry so it'd keep your options open :)

Advertisement