Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Police in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

yay this is going to turn into the annual airport police bashing thread.

Better go find my handbag......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭EireGun

jd83 wrote: »
    yay this is going to turn into the annual airport police bashing thread.

Better go find my handbag......

I'll make sure it doesn't.

What's in the name, 'Giraffes' or 'Joeys', though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think that those police visible in English airports are similar to a lot of airport security - a lot of show to make you feel secure.

The only psni I see in NI airports are the occasional suit wearing detective at a podium on the way in to arrivals and a drug dog handler wearing the standard psni sidearm. Beyond that it's airport police.

1: Work at the airport. Teary eyed with laughter at the suggestion. Suffice to say there are certain contingencies which deal with this situation., details of which I will not go into and warn others privvy to them *not* to discuss.

2: Enough of the "they're not police/they are police" BS, that's for another merry-go-round thread. This "Police/not police" line of questioning stops. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The only psni I see in NI airports are the occasional suit wearing detective at a podium on the way in to arrivals and a drug dog handler wearing the standard psni sidearm. Beyond that it's airport police.

Only difference being that the Airport Police in NI are fully attested constables with police powers (and Glocks & MP5s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Well I for one am glad to be able to go through Dublin airport without having to walk through a load of heavily armed officers as you see in other airports, for example in the UK. Honestly there is no need for them, I'm sure they are just there to be a visible deterrent.

The chances of somebody being accidentally shot is probably far higher than the chances of those armed police intercepting and stopping a 'terrorist'.

deandean wrote: »
    Well I for one am glad to be able to go through Dublin airport without having to walk through a load of heavily armed officers as you see in other airports, for example in the UK. Honestly there is no need for them, I'm sure they are just there to be a visible deterrent.

The chances of somebody being accidentally shot is probably far higher than the chances of those armed police intercepting and stopping a 'terrorist'.

I guess you could look at it that way too.

But I think anyone coming here from outside of Ireland would be surprised that a capital airport in Europe doesn't have heavily-armed officers on the walkabout.

I think that those police visible in English airports are similar to a lot of airport security - a lot of show to make you feel secure.

Thanks, according to Wikipedia...
    The Belfast International Airport Constabulary are usually equipped with MP5A4 semi-automatic carbines and Glock 17 pistols. Their uniform would consist of a standard kevlar vest, white shirt, black trousers and boots and a pair of black leather gloves.

Look something like this apparently...
    x213197483584348294_6.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

EireGun wrote: »
    I guess you could look at it that way too.

But I think anyone coming here from outside of Ireland would be surprised that a capital airport in Europe doesn't have heavily-armed officers on the walkabout.

you could flip it over and look at it like this:

I think anyone coming here from outside of Ireland would be delighted that a capital airport in Europe is in a safe country which doesn't have a credible threat level high enough to need to have heavily-armed officers on the walkabout

Morpheus wrote: »
    you could flip it over and look at it like this:

I think anyone coming here from outside of Ireland would be delighted that a capital airport in Europe is in a safe country which doesn't have a credible threat level high enough to need to have heavily-armed officers on the walkabout

True also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Thanks, according to Wikipedia...

Look something like this apparently...
    x213197483584348294_6.jpg

They're psni, not airport police. Airport Police in the north look more like English police with a checked band on their hat and a dark blue / black colour uniform. They may be armed but I don't recall them carrying anything noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Ive done some research into thos subject as it intrigued me...

The Airport Police In the North of Ireland are employed by the Belfast International Airport Authority which a private limited company and its Airport Police Officers are attested as Constables to perform duties as such and carry their relevant powers on all lands & roadways that constitute an Aerodrome.

In practice when arresting a offender they transfer them over their prisoners to the PSNI and use there custody facilities. According to a member in Norn Iron anyways..

The Airport Police in the South of Ireland are employed by the Dublin/Cork/Shannon Airport Authorities each of which is a State owned Public Authority and their Airport Police Officers are appointed as Authorised Officers to perform duties as such and carry their relevant powers on all lands & roadways that constitute an Aerodrome.

The every day threat environment in the 6 counties of the North is far different from life down south. The policing sevice required to match this is evident when you compare the PSNI to the Gardai.

This is not to exonerate the Irish State Airport from any terrosist threat but the DAA Police work closely with the Gardai to proactively respond to threats and I've seen them operating checkpoints stopping cars and asking drivers what their purpose is in the airport. This may be only for reassurance policing purposes but it is also effective at deterring those with criminal intent I imagine from coming to airport.

The only armed policing unit in the south of Ireland that secures a piece of civil infrastructure is the Military Police Garrison in the Goverment Buildings Quarter in Dublin. The Gardai don't undertake any similar armed static uniformed duties in the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Northern Ireland has airport and dock police all of which are dressed the same as English police officers. They have police powers in their own jurisdictions. The Belfast International Airport police and Belfast Harbour Police are armed in a similar way to the PSNI, Larne Harbour Police are not armed.

If I recall correctly it is the British Transport Police who guard the airports and not regular forces. I am not sure what powers they have outside their jurisdictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Nobody in Larne should be armed ... ever.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Northern Ireland has airport and dock police all of which are dressed the same as English police officers. They have police powers in their own jurisdictions. The Belfast International Airport police and Belfast Harbour Police are armed in a similar way to the PSNI, Larne Harbour Police are not armed.

If I recall correctly it is the British Transport Police who guard the airports and not regular forces. I am not sure what powers they have outside their jurisdictions.

British Transport Police officers do not have any jurisdiction in Northern Ireland, where policing of the railways is the responsibility of the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

An Cigire wrote: »

The Airport Police In the North of Ireland are employed by the Belfast International Airport Authority which a private limited company and its Airport Police Officers are attested as Constables to perform duties as such and carry their relevant powers on all lands & roadways that constitute an Aerodrome.

In practice when arresting a offender they transfer them over their prisoners to the PSNI and use there custody facilities. According to a member in Norn Iron anyways..

The Airport Police in the South of Ireland are employed by the Dublin/Cork/Shannon Airport Authorities each of which is a State owned Public Authority and their Airport Police Officers are appointed as Authorised Officers to perform duties as such and carry their relevant powers on all lands & roadways that constitute an Aerodrome.

The every day threat environment in the 6 counties of the North is far different from life down south. The policing sevice required to match this is evident when you compare the PSNI to the Gardai.

This is not to exonerate the Irish State Airport from any terrosist threat but the DAA Police work closely with the Gardai to proactively respond to threats and I've seen them operating checkpoints stopping cars and asking drivers what their purpose is in the airport. This may be only for reassurance policing purposes but it is also effective at deterring those with criminal intent I imagine from coming to airport.

The only armed policing unit in the south of Ireland that secures a piece of civil infrastructure is the Military Police Garrison in the Goverment Buildings Quarter in Dublin. The Gardai don't undertake any similar armed static uniformed duties in the state.

Like below...

article-1331979-0C30AA72000005DC-475_634x377.jpg

Can people who don't know what they are talking about please stop making comments that are complete rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Dude I was in Larne last week , I know , I know

Ooops, I didn't make it clear in my post that British Transport Police only operate in GB only and are not a UK wide force.

I was under the impression they were the Airport police but it seems they only cover the ports and railways in GB.

Zambia wrote: »
    Dude I was in Larne last week , I know , I know

I've been to worse places than Larne, suppose it's all to do with what you are used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Goonerdee wrote: »

Ooops, I didn't make it clear in my post that British Transport Police only operate in GB only and are not a UK wide force.

I was under the impression they were the Airport police but it seems they only cover the ports and railways in GB.

Any UK airport I've been in, and thats a lot of them, were looked after by their local police force, not BTP. As far as I'm aware BTP look after rail only

MarkMc wrote: »
    Any UK airport I've been in, and thats a lot of them, were looked after by their local police force, not BTP. As far as I'm aware BTP look after rail only

Yes, that is correct, I was mixing up the ports and airports.

Nearly all airports in GB are manned by local police forces, there may be one or two airports with airport police but I think these would be smaller airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

BTP AFAIK are funded by the railway companies and Network Rail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was in East Midlands Airport a few years back. They had armed police on patrol, was a little surprised as it's a pretty small airport, but I guess the threat can come from anywhere, and maybe they figure risk isn't exclusive to more popular airports. Can't recall if I saw any in Leeds Bradford - it's a pretty pokey place as well, wouldn't surprise me if they had an overt presence there, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

When you consider that Glasgow was attacked, then security at the smaller, regional UK airports may be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

An Cigire wrote: »

The Provost Guard is a wing of the Military Police they do static guarding in the Government Building along with the Gardai.

Armed Gardai are present in the presidential Home, Along with Members of the Irish Defense Force

Irish Customs handle Ports, Airports and policing of the roads and have the power to arrested and detain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Irish Customs handle Ports, Airports and policing of the roads and have the power to arrested and detain

They do what now????

They do what now????

Irish Customs similar to UK Border force have different divisions for Airports, Naval Ports, And Public roads, they have the power to stop and detain you make arrests, but as far as i know do not carry arms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I feel safe in the knowledge that we have no requirement for armed patrols on our transport hubs.
    I think tourists do. I always laugh at the ones on the UK. I really do't think they know how to handle them, and feel threatened by there presence.

EireGun your user name is a bit odd but suits the thread, it gives the image of you been a member of a paramilitary group or on support of one.

As for guards at embassies they are local guards to the embassy so its British police at there embassy, us police at there one and they carry the same arms as there coleagues

Advertisement