Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulhuddart's old school gone

Options
  • 18-03-2013 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

I was driving past Mulhuddart's old school today and its demolished, and the site is cleared so it looks like we will have our new ALDI in a couple of months!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Exciting, although I think congestion is going to be an issue... especially with the petrol station a few meters away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

cool,this is news to me,when can I apply ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Wat will remain in my mind about mulhuddart school is the plaque on the pillar outside supplied by then telecom eireann declaring how this school was now part of the Information Age maning it had aconnection to the internet. This was around 1997. Exciting stuff then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Are you serious?? Is that going to be an Aldi?!! :eek:

What a terrible place to have one. The traffic in that street is bad enough now the new Tesco and other shops across the street have opened, its going to be a nightmare now. And as for getting into the petrol station.....

On the plus side I have been moaning about our lack of Aldi's and an overabundance of Lidl's in the Mulhuddart/Blanch area so its good to see one coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

That was my dad's old school. He was born in one of the cottages that used to be behind where Spar is now, and now there are a block of flats there.

• Advertisement

It obviously wasn't a protected building because Aldi bought the site, applied for and got planning permission to build there before they knocked the school down.

But the new bridge further up will probably be finished soon after Aldi, so more people will use it instead of the Blakestown road. The only real times I use the Blakestown road is when I'm coming from Meath on N3 to avoid traffic at the second turn off.

And once the Blakestown road is clear, that area is normally fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I was driving past the new Aldi yesterday, very swanky looking building compared to other stores that I've seen but after I passed it I noticed someone was building something that resembled a garage/shed beside the smoking area of Paidi Ogs but outside its fence where the old bridge was ... Anyone know what this is for?

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I was driving past the new Aldi yesterday, very swanky looking building compared to other stores that I've seen but after I passed it I noticed someone was building something that resembled a garage/shed beside the smoking area of Paidi Ogs but outside its fence where the old bridge was ... Anyone know what this is for?

There was a large drain there before so maybe it's a water shed?

Wouldn't be the new Men's shed type thing they have going on down there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Planning permission was got for two retail kiosks beside Paidi Og's.

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=FW12A/0140

A good butchers would be nice...

January wrote: »
    A good butchers would be nice...

The foundations are in and they're very small. I wouldn't say it'll be big enough for a butchers. They're kind of the size of that locksmith beside the chemist so they'll be something along those lines I'd say.

Wonder what they could possibly put in two tiny spaces... :\

Wonder what they could possibly put in two tiny spaces... :\

Yeah, I wonder too. Conditions of the pp include that they can't sell or store alcohol and only be open between 7am - 10pm. Part of the application is also to landscape the park between the apartments and the river and build a pathway to the estate behind so I'd imagine that was part of the pre-planning 'you do something for us and we'll give you planning' meetings.

Edit - Here's the plans

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00435721.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭dodzy

Yeah, I wonder too. Conditions of the pp include that they can't sell or store alcohol and only be open between 7am - 10pm. Part of the application is also to landscape the park between the apartments and the river and build a pathway to the estate behind so I'd imagine that was part of the pre-planning 'you do something for us and we'll give you planning' meetings.

Edit - Here's the plans

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00435721.pdf

Link dead

dodzy wrote: »
    Link dead

Link dead for me too on my phone but works fine on the computer. What device are you using?

Either way, it's easy enough to find on Fingal's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm using a laptop and it's dead.

I'm using a laptop and it's dead.

Ah well, sorry about that so. Don't know what's going on then.

As I say though, easy to find yourself on the planning section of FCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

This will save me some time on grocery shopping, as I work only 5 mins drive from there.Hopefully there's going to be a big enough drive in car park.

Hopefully something useful. Small tech repair shop wouldn't be bad idea.

I thought the shop that did the printer ink beside the dragon inn also does repairs?

Construction moving along on these 2 kiosk and roof on one of them so has anyone heard any rumours about what's they're going to be?

Construction moving along on these 2 kiosk and roof on one of them so has anyone heard any rumours about what's they're going to be?
    Mid-late August.

Not when they're going to be, what they're going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

So its official ... ALDI will open its new Mulhuddart store on Thursday 19th September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's crazy. I was just down there and the shelves are already packed.

I thought they were supposed to be opening on the 12th myself... wonder what happened.

• Advertisement

I thought they were supposed to be opening on the 12th myself... wonder what happened.

Probably had some D-List celebrity booked a while back to cut a ribbon or something. Although that's probably not Aldi's style.

Advertisement