Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best organisation to join

• 18-03-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I have just completed/passed my OFA course after having an interest in this line of work for years.Having passed the course has given me some confidence to maybe join a voluntary group with maybe eventually making it a full time profession.My problem is i dont know how to go about it.
    What is the best group to join keeping in mind i am from wicklow.Not too far from rathnew and how would i go about this.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We're all going to suggest our own organisations to you, so the best thing to do is try them for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

flazio wrote: »
    We're all going to suggest our own organisations to you, so the best thing to do is try them for yourself.
    I'm glad you bothered to press reply and type that very informative advice for me.
    Does anyone know of any of the organisations around my locality.
    Do i just go up to them and express my interest in joining.
    How would i find out what nights to go to them at as i persume that they only meet up on specific nights since they are voluntary

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

I'm glad you bothered to press reply and type that very informative advice for me.
    Does anyone know of any of the organisations around my locality.
    Do i just go up to them and express my interest in joining.
    How would i find out what nights to go to them at as i persume that they only meet up on specific nights since they are voluntary

the closest unit i know to you would be rathdrum order of malta, the last i heard it was ran by mac hughs (hse) and are a decent bunch.

i wouldnt be able to tell you about any other orgs though

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

Don't really know Wicklow that well but you will find different areas some orgs are stronger. Eg in cork county the red cross are fairly strong but order of Malta very strong in midlands. Also depends on what your interested in. Civil defence do a lit of training based around search & rescue, major emgerency etc. Irc do lots of car rallies while omac does a lot horse racing & large event cover such as o2, picnic etc. I would advise checking out web pages & contacting local units to get more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Civil defence seems like a pretty good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

I have just completed/passed my OFA course after having an interest in this line of work for years.Having passed the course has given me some confidence to maybe join a voluntary group with maybe eventually making it a full time profession.My problem is i dont know how to go about it.
    What is the best group to join keeping in mind i am from wicklow.Not too far from rathnew and how would i go about this.Thanks

Wicklaman,

As others have stated its probably best that you find out what organisations are in your area & when they meet. Then you should go down & see each one of them, speak to the members & the officer in charge. Find out what duties/events they cover. All organisations will require you to undergo Garda Vetting. Training is pretty much the same with all the organisation as we are all Phecc approved & compliant. The highest clinical level you can go in the voluntaries at the moment is EMT. Without divulging your personal info on the forum, if you disclose a rough area there is enough of us to inform you where the relevant orgs are.

Advertisement