Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Astronomer

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 orion216

Rubeter wrote: »
    Before I go I will leave you with the one question you always refuse to answer.

How do you explain the 84 year 360 degree retrograde rotation of Uranus around its N/S axis that your "theory" produces? (not forgetting to explain why the stars don't shift position accordingly).

The last time I asked you you said you were "working on a paper" to show some sort of explanation for this, (I assumed that meant tearing up a piece of paper in frustration at being unable to do so), go on give it a go and give us a laugh on a rather dreary sunday morning.

Son,look out your window today and you will experience day turning to night within a 24 hour period and you can be certain that it is one rotation of our planet behind this effect each and every day that the 24 hours of Sunday turn into the 24 hours of Monday and so on,it may be beyond you now but your own community is trying to catch up to this basic fact.

I suggest to make the effort to read John Harrison's basic outlines of how the Lat/Long system works with daily rotation and the 24 hour cycle.It is not difficult and take your time but continue with the truly horrendous belief that day/night cycles fall out of step with 24 hour days and it means that what your body is telling you and what your mind believes are two different things.

Instead of a dreary Sunday you may wake up to a new dawn each day as the Earth turns once and look back in horror at what you were once prepared to believe and the same goes for everyone else here.I am truly satisfied that the relentless effort over the years has changed things and although the people of this world are far from getting this in order,they are moving away from a late 17th century insanity and back towards proper principles,shame that it is not done in a transparent way but that is about it.

Remember now,your community has moved on even if you haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

orion216 wrote: »
    Son,look out your window today and you will experience day turning to night within a 24 hour period and you can be certain that it is one rotation of our planet behind this effect each and every day that the 24 hours of Sunday turn into the 24 hours of Monday and so on,it may be beyond you now but your own community is trying to catch up to this basic fact.

I suggest to make the effort to read John Harrison's basic outlines of how the Lat/Long system works with daily rotation and the 24 hour cycle.It is not difficult and take your time but continue with the truly horrendous belief that day/night cycles fall out of step with 24 hour days and it means that what your body is telling you and what your mind believes are two different things.

Instead of a dreary Sunday you may wake up to a new dawn each day as the Earth turns once and look back in horror at what you were once prepared to believe and the same goes for everyone else here.I am truly satisfied that the relentless effort over the years has changed things and although the people of this world are far from getting this in order,they are moving away from a late 17th century insanity and back towards proper principles,shame that it is not done in a transparent way but that is about it.

Remember now,your community has moved on even if you haven't.
    Ok, so you still can't explain the inconsistencies your "theory" produces.
    Sorry bud, but until you do your ideas have no validity whatsoever, that is why nobody takes you seriously.
    Bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 orion216

Rubeter wrote: »
    Ok, so you still can't explain the inconsistencies your "theory" produces.
    Sorry bud, but until you do your ideas have no validity whatsoever, that is why nobody takes you seriously.
    Bye.

The mind is a magnificent thing and the ability to reason with it through common experience is what makes us human - the body experiences all the effects of a natural rotation each 24 hour day and the mind is supposed to make sense of these things in a clear and ordered fashion.

It is disconcerting to encounter a dystopian society prepared to accept an ideology which has a definite beginning in the late 17th century where the mind doesn't register what the body experiences and tries to force an idea through that one rotation of the planet falls out of step with one 24 hour day - when the mind no longer registers common experience as a fact then we are dealing with dysfunctional minds,not as an insult or a taunt but something actual through the normal fact of daily experience.

It is that simple and although the wider empirical community did try to change things recently,it did so in a less than transparent way hence it is not a problem of being taken seriously,that has already happened but it leaves the actual reasoning behind the 24 hour AM/PM system tied to the Lat/Long system to be explained properly and understood by people who have enough intelligence to pay attention to what their bodies experience as daily rotation.

It would have been nice if my own Irish community understood the issues first but that now seems a remote possibility,it could happen but there are no indications here that there is anything other than a dysfunctional thinking on common experience of rotation as daily effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Internet fora provide a platform for the deluded ramblings of people who pedal pseudo-science.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

I saw Orion216's first post a week ago, and actually put pen to paper (or keyboard to screen) to reply, but then thought better of it. I see that since then he/she has turned out -- as expected -- to be either a troll or a loon.

You can't beat a bit of ole' experimentation. Last year I spent a month measuring the length of the sidereal day by observations of the star Spica (α Virginis). Using only the most rudimentary tools it was easy to measure it at 23 hr 56 m +/- 15 seconds. I still have my measurements, my error estimates, and my notes written up somewhere. Happy to share it with Orion216 if he/she wants to suggest where it might have gone wrong, or would like to repeat the experiment instead of just appealing to (his/her own) authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

when the mind no longer registers common experience as a fact then we are dealing with dysfunctional minds,

This is why it so funny that you call yourself an astronomer in this thread. If you only go out during the day, or only pay attention to the Sun's rising and setting, then the idea that the Earth turns once in 24 hours might seem reasonable at first. That's what children and adults who don't think about astronomy believe.

But no-one who looks at the stars could believe that. Our common experience of looking at the stars proves to us as a fact that the Earth spins through more than one rotation in 24 hours

You are no astronomer, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

...It is disconcerting to encounter a dystopian society prepared to accept an ideology which has a definite beginning in the late 17th century where the mind doesn't register what the body experiences and tries to force an idea through that one rotation of the planet falls out of step with one 24 hour day...

Is that the late 17th century BC you are talking about? That's about when astronomers first began to systematise the idea that the sun does not keep step with the rest of the heavens in its diurnal motion. The precise relationship of the sidereal and solar days was figured out over the subsequent thousand years, being perfected well over two millenia before this "definite beginning" you mention. Your history seems to be as flawed as your astronomy. Even ancient people who may not have known (although many suspected) that the motion of the heavens was caused by rotation of the earth knew that the sun moved steadily along its ecliptic path and kept different time to the fixed stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Not this again. Even Wikipedia has a lot of accurate descriptions on the topic of solar vs sidereal time. All depending on the particular frame of reference chosen. It's a pity that some people in this thread simply cannot accept being either horribly wrong, or simply horribly confused.

A little education is a terrible thing, made worse by access to the Web..

Advertisement